Spanish GAS bottle where can i find one?can i get one??

plumbersvan

pepe63 - 2012-01-04 12:27 PM

Chris...

Have you noticed my ebay link, too a Repsol bottle,above?

..admittedly it's only a small(ish) one..and I suppose not exactly local to you,seeing as it's in Bedford.. :-S

OK epe, now you've got my attention here are a few questions.....

do you know the dimensions?

I see it's butane rather than propane which would be better for me - is there an equivalent to swap it for in Spain?

The Jumbo conector - you say it's a regulator.....I have a regulator in the van locker and thought the jumbo was just a connector?

Bedford is probably too far to go for this, I could arrange a courier for a tenner or less.

Oops! :$ Sorry Chris,

..I'd worded my last post incorrectly..it's not actually "my" ebay item..just a link that I came across...Sorry... :-S

..you'd think there'd be SOMEONE on here who has a Repsol bottle in their possesion and who can give you the dimensions?

(...or can at least can tell you what "size" Repsol bottle fits into "standard" 6kg-sized compartment... :-S )

bolero boy - 2012-01-04 11:47 AM

I've been trying to find the dimensions of the Repsol bottles without success.

I have a small (2x6kg) locker and will be going to spain in the spring. I may go for one Gaslow (or similar) refillable, which will suffice (with adaptors) for UK and most of europe, along with a local bottle/Jumbo adaptor for spain.

As I cant get 2 large bottles in the locker (bad design) I could have one 11kg refillable and then remove it to the boot locker and replace with Repsol when in Spain - just unsure of Repsol bottle sizes.

Thanks for any assistance.

According to information on another forum, the dimensions of a Repsol 6kg metal butane bottle are

Height = 410mm

Diameter = 305mm

Fitting a 'jumbo' Spanish regulator will increase the height to around 435mm.

For comparison purposes, the quoted dimensions of UK Calor and Flogas 7kg/6kg butane/propane canisters are

Height = 495mm

Diameter = 256mm

So the Repsol metal container is shorter but wider than the UK bottles, which might impact on your Bolero's ability to carry the Spanish container. I don't know if the Repsol K6 composite bottle mirrors the Repsol metal bottle's height/width, but the pictures of it suggest a fairly squat design.

Apparently the larger 13kg (??) Repsol metal bottles (complete with fitted 'jumbo' regulator/adapter) are close to the dimensions of a similar-capacity Calor cylinder - around 580mm in height and around 315mm diameter.

The 'jumbo' connection fitting is available either as a simple adapter or with an integrated regulator.

Composite-construction 'plastic' exchange-only gas bottles are aimed primarily at domestic usage and, consequently, aren't normally marketed in propane format. An exception is BP's "Gas Light" (propane) container that targets leisure usage. The Repsol K6 and K11 bottles are both butane-only.

Whenever we had British vans with their usual small gas lockers, we would carry a Spanish bottle inside but put it on the ground by the gas locker with a longer than normal hose so as to be able to use the cheap Spanish gas on sites. European motorhomes can usually fit 2 13kg cylinders, even our pvc.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-01-04 9:45 AM

plumbersvan - 2012-01-03 11:37 PM

For my cube i have a clip without regulator direct gas to my bulkhead fixed regulator via the pigtail

Gas is almost as complicated at electricity connectors 8-)

OK, as you've got a bulkhead-mounted regulator and a "Clip Direct" adapter to attach the pigtail to your "Le Cube" bottle, there's a fair chance that (in order to connect to a Spanish/Portugese gas bottle) you should just need to replace the 'clip' adapter with the 'jumbo' type of adapter I mentioned earlier.

I've some concern about your present regulator. Assuming that you've still got your 1984 Eriba-Car 580, it's likely that this would have started life with EITHER a butane-suitable (28mbar) regulator OR a propane-suitable (37mbar) regulator. There's the possibility that the original regulator may have been replaced at some stage with a 30mbar regulator able to handle butane or propane, even though this replacement exercise is generally frowned on.

Anyway, you need to make sure that, whatever regulator you've got, it matches the type of gas you are using.

1: If it's a 28mbar regulator you need to stick to butane.

2: If it's a 38mbar regulator you should stick to propane.

3: If it's a 30mbar regulator, then it's likely that the regulator is technically unsuitable for your motorhome, as it probably won't match the motorhome's gas appliances correctly. However, as long as you haven't noticed anything odd happening when you've been using the gas appliances, then you wil have the option of using either butane or propane.

I agree with that caution.

However, assuming the possible regulator/gas conundrum has been resolved, I'm also a bit puzzled why Alfiona is using Cubes, when the Eriba Car should have a locker large enough for a 13kg cylinder. Indeed, Alfiona refers to 13kg in the OP.

A 13kg cylinder, either gas, would give far greater capacity, so greater endurance, at lower cost than the Cubes.

Repsol cylinders are around 11kg capacity propane or butane (13kg tare), both orange (the propane has a black band around the top for identification), are a bit lower capacity than the standard French 13kg capacity cylinders, so are presumably also a bit smaller physically. For economy I'd think Alfiona should go for these. Repsol gas was available in France but it seems it no longer is. However, I gather the clip connector differed from the version used in Spain, and the two are not interchangeable.

If the locker will take 2 x 13kg then arriving in Spain with two new Butagaz cylinders would give good reserves and avoid any possible problems with registering for the first cylinder.

Otherwise, buying a Repsol propane (black band) exchange cylinder at a Spanish flea market and swapping that for a full one at a Repsol filling station would probably be simplest and would also, as suggested above, avoid the registration problem.

bolero boy - 2012-01-04 5:14 PM

Derek, thanks for the info - my locker is 320mm deep and will take a bottle close to 600+mm high so should be OK with the larger Repsol propane one. The issue is width of the locker, only 535mm.

Thanks again.

It turns out that there is some dimensional information about certain gas containers on the Repsol website, but finding it is far from straightforward.

Details of Repsol's metal 12.5kg-capacity BUTANE bottle are:

External diameter 300 mm.

Capacity 26.1 L. (tolerance ± 0,5 -0L.)

Height without valve 475 mm. (tolerance ± 0,5 mm.)

Plate thickness 3.2 mm. (tolerance ± 0,2 mm.)

Net weight 13.9 Kg. (tolerance ± 0,9 Kg.)

The valve + an adapter/regulator would add about 100mm to the quoted 475mm height figure, but bottle-height plainly won't be a problem for you.

Fewer technical data are provided for Repsol's metal 11kg-capacity PROPANE bottle, but the tare weight is also quoted as approximately 13kg, so I suspect that the propane bottle has the same physical dimensions as the butane container.

Repsol's metal 35kg-capacity 'industrial' propane cylinder also has a diameter of 300mm, which leads me to think that 300mm may be the standardised diameter for Spanish metal gas canisters.

• 1 month later...

I have just measured my Spanish gas bottle and it's about 300mm , I am not sure but I think they stopped the registration bit last year ( hear say), I bought a bottle today and the cost was 15.10 Euro. I think that is less than the UK so when I go later this year I will take a spare.

Hope that helps

Guest pelmetman
Spent 3 weeks at Calpemar and bought a full bottle of the gas man who called daily..........no forms......no tests...........and bought the pipe and regulator across the road in the builders merchants who seem to keep a supply in ;-)

P1000051web.jpg.db04af023bc2b7e4cfc221909288b7f9.jpg

• 2 years later...
plumbersvan - 2012-01-02 5:23 PM

8-) Spain is very regulated :-S

To get to Portugal and Gibraltar Spain has to be crossed

Will a gas supplier sell me a gas bottle?I dont live there nor do i know anyone that dose

If anyone knows the price of the gas (propane 13kgs) and the cost of a bottle it would be helpful :-)

Perhaps I've missed the point.... but why dont you look at a refillable system, don't need to buy any European countries bottle system, just fill up your own we have recently come back from a seven week tour of Spain/Portugal and even though we carry one Calor gas bottle and a refillable GasLow we never used the Calor at all just refilled the GasLow at the service stations :-D

Archived