Travelling with dogs in Spain

MrsMimi

Having had a brilliant time in France last year with our cairn terrier, we now want to do the same in Spain this year. But I have heard differing views about the Spanish and dogs, for instance they are not welcome in restaurants and definitely not on beaches. Has anyone taken a dog to Spain, and if so, how did they get on? Same applies to Portugal as well. Would be grateful for any input.

Different regions have different rules I believe and some apply those rules more than others *-)

We travel extensively in Spain with our Digger and just use common sense ie. don't take him on busy beaches or where there are distinct signs prohibiting dogs.

Here he is on a beach in the Asturias -

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20110603-_MG_6991.jpg

We've also taken him to restaurants but eat on the outside terrace area with no problems.

Don't worry about it, just continue to be responsible :-D

There is some good information in the Caravan Club Campsite guide to Europe vol 1. I think dogs in Spain have to be muzzled by law in public although no one takes any notice of this, we carried a muzzle just in case. Also dogs are not allowed on public transport, or at least not when we went some years ago.

Archived