More about gas

toptruck

Hi John - welcome to the mad house! :-D

We have a single 11kg Gaslow cylinder - our current MH gas locker will only take one bottle so it's just as well that we changed over to Gaslow when we had our previous MH and simply transferred it. As I'd mounted the filler point in a bracket in the gas locker itself so when I removed it, it didn't leave a hole in the side of the MH, however had we put it through the bodywork or skirt I could have utilised a Gaslow blanking kit to fill the hole. I again fitted the filler in the gas locker using the bracket.

If you only have space for one cylinder then I suggest a refillable is the only safe way to go (by that I mean carrying a gas cylinder in a MH other than in the proper gas locker is not sensible), of course this is unless you like the 'excitement' of living with a single exchange cylinder and trying to guess when it's going to run out! :D

We also carry a small gas stove (the ones you get in a plastic suitcase which runs off aerosol type cylinders (which are stored in the gas locker), that way it can be used to make a cuppa if the need arises (useful when waiting in the ferry/eurotunnel queue after the gas cylinder has been turned off), or for doing some alfresco cooking). B-)

As for cost, it isn't the cheapest thing to do, but you can certainly fit a Gaslow single 11kg cylinder, along with a braket, filler kit, hose and several adaptors for the filler points in various countries, for around £290 (less if you don't need all the bits); for a basic set-up you need:

£114.00 = 1 x 11kg bottle (no 1 type on Gasproducts website)

£44.94 = 1 x s/s hose to connect from the bottle to the regulater

£66.00 = 1 x refil point - which one (colour/length of pipe) will depend on your needs.

£18.34 = 1 x bracket (OPTIONAL)

£15.28 = 1 x French/Italian adaptor (OPTIONAL)

£11.18 = 1 x Euro adaptor (OPTIONAL)

£20.17 = 1 x Spanish adaptor (OPTIONAL)

=£289.91 (or less if you don't need all the adaptors and bracket).

However, occasionally people sell on their 'used' kit so you might find it on some of the free adverts on the various forums or every now and then on Ebay.

I would suggest going to a 'proper' Gaslow dealer rather than buying off some of the purely Ebay shops as the Ebay stuff is actually more expensive! The below company are very competitive:

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/

Basically, don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to have 2 bottles with the Gaslow set-up.

We have had the system for a number of years and have never had a problem with being allowed to fill it either here or abroad (France, Germany, Ireland). Even though we have just the single 11kg bottle, we have to date done a maximum of 24 days away at any one time but haven't run out of gas and have always been able to refil it when necessary, often the attendants do it for you or are more than willing to help.

Guest pelmetman
We had Dave Newell fit a 11kg Alugas bottle in May last year and have a 907 Camping Gaz for emergencies :D...............Filled up with 22 litres in May.......48 days away in the camper later and the level has barely moved 8-)

Guest Tracker
That's all very well for you Dave but modern vans have a fridge and a cooker and sometimes, and this will come as a shock to you I know, heating as well!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2012-01-05 7:24 PM

That's all very well for you Dave but modern vans have a fridge and a cooker and sometimes, and this will come as a shock to you I know, heating as well!

We have all of the above Rich ;-)........... Just tend to use the electric when on site as its paid for :D

The payback period to recoup the cost of installing a single Gaslow 11kg system would be the equivalent of around 37 Calor 13kg bottle exchanges (assuming they are as empty as you can get them!), for you to 'break even' - this is taking into account the cost of using Autogas instead. However, as has been said before, it's not all about the money side of things - necessity, ease, reduction of 'worry' etc all come into the decision making process. Also, you still have the 'kit' too so you could recoup some of your outlay if you sold it on in the future.

If you do decide to go down the Calor route, you can pick up cylinders quite cheaply from car boot sales, Ebay, or even on the Freecycle website for your area.

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-05 5:49 PM

neillking - 2012-01-05 5:40 PM

I was simply making the point that the 25kg payload issue was fairly significant and some might say very significant. I'm sorry if you're offended by that, no offence intended.

I've got a 60Kg payload issue,how can I leave her at home though............... :D

Trade her in for a smaller model, mine only weighs in at 44kg. :D :D :D

Guest Tracker
pelmetman - 2012-01-05 7:27 PM

We have all of the above Rich ;-)........... Just tend to use the electric when on site as its paid for :D

Ah - that explains it then - and adds another dimension into the whole subject.

If one is predominantly only using sites and hook-up then it follows that their gas use will be very low and in such instances one bottle may very well be enough?

We never use sites and our primary energy sources are therefore 12 volt and gas - so I take no chances of running out of either!

Please note that I'm not arguing either for or against sites as that too is a very individual preference!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2012-01-05 7:26 PM

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-05 5:01 PM

Many thanks, oh and Brian the OP is going to Italy and Spain

As he said. What's wrong?

Sorry Brian, no offence intended, but after reading through the reams of your post I just thought maybe the answer was much more easily summed up, in either a refillable bottle /system,or camping gaz

After many years of only using gas for cooking it came as a suprize how adding fridge and heating has increased our gas usage. Gf gave me grief for loading up 2x13kg, but after using a bottle in 4 weeks she changed her mind.

Guest Tracker

Colin - if it's any help - using gas for only cooking and fridge a 6kg bottle lasts us about 3 weeks or a bit more usually but we don't cook a full meal in the oven very often.

It's heating and hot water that gallops through gas at an alarming rate, especially when it's cold outside.

We have diesel heating which is great when it is good but a real pita when it isnt!

pita = pain in the arm!

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-05 7:38 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-01-05 7:26 PM

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-05 5:01 PM

Many thanks, oh and Brian the OP is going to Italy and Spain

As he said. What's wrong?

Sorry Brian, no offence intended, but after reading through the reams of your post I just thought maybe the answer was much more easily summed up, in either a refillable bottle /system,or camping gaz

OK. But for many, getting to either Spain or Italy will involve some time in France, so the 1 UK + 1 French cylinder offers more flexibility on a longer trip than using UK cylinders only, and at modest initial outlay. Also, the French refills, and the initial contract price, are a bit cheaper. So, its another alternative for him to consider.

As Mel says above, the re-fillables aren't cheap, so whereas they have convenience, you pay quite a premium for it. He may not have realised that, and may not wish to spend that much if he feels it won't give him value.

Besides, the man asked for general advice in preparation for his trips, and a number of the replies he got merely suggested he did as the posters do, without giving any reasons for or against. So, I have tried to give him a broader picture, to inform his choices. As to camping Gaz: butane only, squitty little cylinders, and bloody expensive! Almost anything else would be better value. I'm sure it never used to be so expensive.

Tracker - 2012-01-05 7:05 PM
neillking - 2012-01-05 5:40 PM

I was simply making the point that the 25kg payload issue was fairly significant and some might say very significant. I'm sorry if you're offended by that, no offence intended.

May I correct that statement?

For some people a 25kg payload loss or gain could be significant or even very significant depending on their van and it's total available space and payload.

For others it is insignificant when compared to their payload and space and the benefit and convenience of never running out of gas whilst away from home in foreign lands.

Each will find their own solution and the purpose of this forum is to put forward ideas and alternatives that may not have occured to the OP and not to entice others into following your own individual route or thinking.

Yes agreed. I'm surprised my asides about payload have proved contentious. The point I intended was that perceptions of the importance of the impact on payload varies between users and that any 'hit' is significant IF not yielding perceived value to the user. Value can be anything from, necessitity to comfort, payback to lifestyle, minimalist to secure, and so on. This syntax is heavy going compared to my earlier off the cuff remarks though!

Although we haven't got one..I suppose when it's all said and done,the cost of a basic refillable system is pretty insignificant,when compared to the 30-40-50k people are paying out for vans... :-S

IF I was going the refillable route,I would probably look at an underslung tank(or maybe "onboard" tank,mounted in a sealed underseat compartment,if permissable?),so as to free up the existing gas locker for much needed external storage...

(..but as has been said..I'd probably STILL end up carry a spare of sorts!? *-) )

Fortunately our locker takes a 13kg bottle(s)..but Boy!,do they play havoc with the rear axle loading!...

:-S

Brian Kirby - 2012-01-05 4:51 PM

toptruck - 2012-01-05 12:12 PM

Hi quite new to this but have been reading with interest about gas bottles &spain.

So i would like a little advice, just got the motorhome no gas bottles yet, its an07 autotrail and we intend to go to Itally &Spain this year ?is logas a good option to take for all areas home & away. the bottles seem expensive to initially purchase.

many thanks for any help. John

Just to get back to one bit of the OPs question, I think he is referring to Flogas. Not sure about the whole of the UK, but local availability seems fine....

Given John's comment about the initial cost of the bottles being expensive and the foreign touring context, I'm pretty sure his reference to "logas" should have read "Gaslow" ( lo + gas = gas + lo).

Archived