Biarritz Aire

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Anyone thinking of going to the aire and nipping up to the convenient LeClerc 5 mins up the road as we were *-)................It's now closed and the nearest expensive!! food shops are the far side of centre ville a long walk there and back with shopping 8-)

So shop before you get there ;-)

Derek Uzzell - 2012-01-06 9:21 AM

You might like to add that information to the campingcar-infos website. (No need to use French if you don't want to.)

There's a good deal of criticism on the website about the Biarritz aire, but nothing to say it's recently been closed. Presumably the closure is permanent?

My reading of the above is that the shop not the Aire that is closed.

Mike88 - 2012-01-06 10:04 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2012-01-06 9:21 AM

You might like to add that information to the campingcar-infos website. (No need to use French if you don't want to.)

There's a good deal of criticism on the website about the Biarritz aire, but nothing to say it's recently been closed. Presumably the closure is permanent?

My reading of the above is that the shop not the Aire that is closed.

That undoubtedly explains why there's nothing on the campingcar-infos website about the aire being closed. :$ :$

Guest pelmetman

Just to clarify its the Leclerc that has closed NOT the aire :D

It was packed again this New Year..........and the electric hookup situation would give a CC warden apoplexy (lol) (lol)

P1000031web.jpg.93bb9d871bd2b721e3e36eb61908ec0c.jpg

P1000025web.jpg.5cfe8c166be4ffbe67047f3c30234156.jpg

Derreck, would not be put off by criticism on French web sites as some French vanners, on these sites, are quick to complain. Best is to go and see for yourself; we have stayed on this aire a few times and yes it is busy but is convienient for Biarrtzz (bus stop outside aire) and beach over road. We always call at Intermarche (on main road where you turn down to aire) on way in to stock up, then pick up fresh foods in Biarritz when we go in for drink, meal, use of internet etc. Best thing with aires Derreck is to have a look yourself and see if you would be happy there. (N.B. Make sure you take a splitter as there are many more vans than hook-ups, but always find French vanners willing to share).

E Leclerc's website still gives the casual impression that they have a supermarket at Ave de la Milady, Biarritz but, after much GOOGLE-ing, I found this SUD-OUEST article that indicated it had closed at the end of September 2011.

http://www.sudouest.fr/2011/09/30/une-fermeture-regrettee-513940-3944.php

While I fully undestand the attraction of the Biarritz aire as it's so close to the beach, this is exactly the type of facility that we actively avoid whenever possible. I hesitate to point this out, but we have made use of the French 'aires' network regularly since 1998 (when we began motorcaravanning), and being cheek-by-jowl with other 'vans has never had any appeal. We have overnighted on noisy roadside car-parks like the Biarritz aire, but rarely by deliberate choice.

My view of comments by French motorcaravanners on the campingcar-infos website is that they tend to err towards the congratulatory rather than the critical. When there is a French criticism of an aire, my experience is that not only is it normally justified but my own opinion of that aire would be even harsher. As an example, see tthe commentaries on this entry:

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/ccia.php?numero=3470

You are correct Derek to imply that different types of aires appeal to different people; that is in many ways the beauty of the aires network. Re Biarritz, Malady then yes it is busy and vans do park close, but (and our motorhoming experience is a little longer than yours stretching back to 1985) we have stayed on much noisier aires (and indeed sites!). The attraction for us is not the beach (we are not beach people) but the ease in which you can travel into Biarritz and onward to Bayonne using public transport. To be honest all the aires on this coast are very busy but last time we were down here we stayed on the aire at Anglet. No hook-ups here but near bus stop and nice walks on coast and very quite at night. Another aire we like to stay on is at Hendaye-Plage; this is on the roadside and right opposite the rail station so not one for you Derek! But excellant for transport links to northern Spain including San Sebastian and Bilbao.

But what ever style of aire you choose have a Happy Aires Year.

We stayed here late november 2011 and paid 10 euros collected in the evening by the police.On walking up the hill to get cash from nearest hole in the wall noticed a lone wild camper in the far corner of the disused Leclerc,could have saved myslf 10 euros!

• 2 months later...
JudgeMental - 2012-03-22 1:51 PM

where is this Aire please as my sat nav shows a few around there. One south of town and one north.....

Avenue de la Milady

64200 BIARRITZ

Latitude : (Nord) 43.46532° Décimaux ou 43° 27' 55''

Longitude : (Ouest) -1.57162° Décimaux ou -1° 34' 17''

Tarif : 2011

Stationnement : 10 €

Électricité incluse (une seule borne à 4 points)

2 bornes de services

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks Mike! we really need some thank you buttons..In fact warners the meanies need to update this forum a bit...... :-D

Archived