£1=Eoro's

kelly58

Just paid for some foreign ferries in euros, using a Santander zero current account - no commission, but you have to jump through various hoops to get this account. Got 1.20 euros to £ exchange rate for my ferries to Norway. Mind, Norway is so eyewateringly expensive, these savings will soon disappear!

kelly58 - 2012-01-06 4:28 PM

Have you noticed the rise in the Euro exchange rate as this pm 1.212e to the £1 hopefully it will keep on up and up.

Tesco online were NOW

Description Currency Quantity Exchange Rate Total (£)

Foreign Currency Euro 595.00 1.183200 502.87

Sub Total

Delivery Fee FREE

Total

Exchange rate may vary depending on whether you buy over the phone, online or in-store.

kelly58 - 2012-01-06 4:28 PM

Have you noticed the rise in the Euro exchange rate as this pm 1.212e to the £1 hopefully it will keep on up and up.

Up & up and then what...................pop! Drachmas,Francs, Pesetas, Deutchmarks, Escudos and Punts by the end of 2012?

Hope the old 10,000 lire I didn't change in time will still be valid!

Mike

Retread24800 - 2012-01-06 8:17 PM
Dave Newell - 2012-01-06 8:28 PM Oh bum, I was hoping for some £1 a go eroticism looking at the title, instead its just boring Euro exchange rate :D D.

Had the same problem when I clicked on Adult only sites..................

I know what you mean, life can be such a disappointment at times. :D D.

I remember the days of swapping currency at every border, I lalso remember old Francs, old Pesettas, and taking your own empty wine bottle to be re-filled.

The only bit I would welcome back is the re-filling your own bottle.

It is of great importance that the Euro survives, not just for me but for the whole British economy.

I reckon that an exchange rate of about 1.25 uro (the rest of Europe call it uro so I do now) to the £ is about right, what does anyone else think?

H

hallii - 2012-01-06 9:54 PM

I remember the days of swapping currency at every border, I lalso remember old Francs, old Pesettas, and taking your own empty wine bottle to be re-filled.

The only bit I would welcome back is the re-filling your own bottle.

It is of great importance that the Euro survives, not just for me but for the whole British economy.

I reckon that an exchange rate of about 1.25 uro (the rest of Europe call it uro so I do now) to the £ is about right, what does anyone else think?

H

Personally I do not care whether the Euro survives or not, just as long as the UK has no part of it. It is usefull being able to travel to the popular countries without changeing money though but in these days of card payments does not really matter that much. I reckon an exchange rate of about 1.40 to a £ would be better. Cannot see it matters to the Uk economy much, countries will trade no matter what.

Just been to Nat West for some euros and they told us to go across the road to Cash Generators because their rate was better than theirs. Even their own staff get their euros from them. Never been in Cash Generators before but we got 585 euros for £498, cash over the counter this morning. Much the same as Tesco but no waiting. We'll get a few more if its still up in a month. Anyone else had euros from Cash Generators and have they been reasonably competitive ?

Hi Rupert

"I reckon an exchange rate of about 1.40 to a £ would be better. Cannot see it matters to the Uk economy much, countries will trade no matter what".

Everyone is price concious today and while 1.40 euro's to the £ would be better for us it would make it that bit harder for our exporters to sell in Europe and that is not a good thing

Funny, isn't it? Most of this string is about the fluctuating Euro - Sterling exchange rate. We moan when the Euro rises/Sterling falls, and rejoice when the reverse is the case. Why? Because when Sterling is high we get more for our £, and when it is low we get less. We don't like those fluctuations: at least we don't when we, as tourists, are disadvantaged. :-) The problem, as ever, is that when we see advantage our exporters see disadvantage. When we benefit from a fluctuation our exporters lose orders, or lose profitability. What suits the individual, is bad for the economy. So, what both we, and our exporters, would really like, is a stable value of Sterling vis a vis the Euro.

Sterling has been falling in value against the main European currencies for over 50 years. Not year on year, it has fluctuated, but over that period of time its overall trajectory has been down. The value of a currency, assuming it is allowed to float (sterling has not floated over the whole of that period), is the value the markets place upon it and, by extension, on the strength of its underlying economy. I read that fall in Sterling's value as the markets' verdict on the way our economy has performed vis a vis the European economies, latterly as represented by the Euro. In short, like it or lump it, the markets judge that Euroland has generally performed better economically than the UK over half a century. As above, not at a steady rate, but quite consistently.

So, an OT question or two (apologies).

If we think our management of our economy has been so much better than the Euro countries have managed their economies (not the currency, that is a rather different matter), why don't the markets agree?

Are we not contradictory when we plead for independence from the Euro on the one hand, and then seek the convenience of a consistent exchange rate on the other?

If the Euro problems are fixed (and I mean fixed, not fudged), would we not all be better off joining, tourists and exporters alike, and benefiting from no exchange being necessary at all? (In saying that, the reverse appears all too possible: that is to say if the Euro problems are not fixed there will probably be no Euro to join, and we can all forget economic growth, or currency stability, for a decade or more.) :-(

If the Euro does go Henry, I forecast that even though you don't now think you care, you will come to care, and care deeply, about the consequences. ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2012-01-07 4:36 PM

Funny, isn't it? Most of this string is about the fluctuating Euro - Sterling exchange rate. We moan when the Euro rises/Sterling falls, and rejoice when the reverse is the case. Why? Because when Sterling is high we get more for our £, and when it is low we get less. We don't like those fluctuations: at least we don't when we, as tourists, are disadvantaged. :-) The problem, as ever, is that when we see advantage our exporters see disadvantage. When we benefit from a fluctuation our exporters lose orders, or lose profitability. What suits the individual, is bad for the economy. So, what both we, and our exporters, would really like, is a stable value of Sterling vis a vis the Euro.

Sterling has been falling in value against the main European currencies for over 50 years. Not year on year, it has fluctuated, but over that period of time its overall trajectory has been down. The value of a currency, assuming it is allowed to float (sterling has not floated over the whole of that period), is the value the markets place upon it and, by extension, on the strength of its underlying economy. I read that fall in Sterling's value as the markets' verdict on the way our economy has performed vis a vis the European economies, latterly as represented by the Euro. In short, like it or lump it, the markets judge that Euroland has generally performed better economically than the UK over half a century. As above, not at a steady rate, but quite consistently.

So, an OT question or two (apologies).

If we think our management of our economy has been so much better than the Euro countries have managed their economies (not the currency, that is a rather different matter), why don't the markets agree?

Are we not contradictory when we plead for independence from the Euro on the one hand, and then seek the convenience of a consistent exchange rate on the other?

If the Euro problems are fixed (and I mean fixed, not fudged), would we not all be better off joining, tourists and exporters alike, and benefiting from no exchange being necessary at all? (In saying that, the reverse appears all too possible: that is to say if the Euro problems are not fixed there will probably be no Euro to join, and we can all forget economic growth, or currency stability, for a decade or more.) :-(

If the Euro does go Henry, I forecast that even though you don't now think you care, you will come to care, and care deeply, about the consequences. ;-)

Isn't it more to do with relative interest rates Brian, at least in the short term?

Over the last few months the Eurozone has been in dire straits, what with Greece, Italy, et al, and UK has been sorting out its deficit, yet the exchange rate has been seriously anti-sterling, presumably because people can get better rates for holding Euros than holding pounds.

Don't know why it's improving (from tourist's pov) now, but I just hope it continues to our next trip in July!

And I certainly wouldn't want to go back to being reipped off by unpredictable amounts at every border crossing!

Brian what possible long term damage can the euro going do to us, the truth is neither you or me can possibly know. I have no wish to see it go, just do not care. What i would like to see is a partial failure and the EU messed around in general, us get out and and have the sort of tradeing agreement other countries have. What is pretty certain is that our trade with europe, as a percentage, will get less over future years and we will trade mainly in dollars and other currencies so will always be subject to currenct fluctuations. It will all effect me little, never has, so i will be selfish and euro 1.40 will do me fine. It was not so long ago the euro lovers like you were saying what a disaster it would be if we stayed out and even now you fail to see it, are you a liberal supporter by any chance?

Guest pelmetman

I for one think joining the common market made us short sighted ;-)................We have spent too much time trying to please the neighbours whilst the rest of the world past us by *-)..........

The interesting bit is still to come.........once raw materials become too expensive, and making for peanuts in China is no longer an option 8-)............that's when the real doodoo's will hit the fan 8-)

With a bit of luck by then I will be compost (lol) (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2012-01-07 7:05 PM

I for one think joining the common market made us short sighted ;-)................We have spent too much time trying to please the neighbours whilst the rest of the world past us by *-)..........

Well, Australia and New Zealand have never forgiven us for cutting our trade with them.

Anyway, the better exchange rate will be negated by the upcoming rise in TVA in France which will up prices for everything and to just add to the misery there is an epidemic of gastro-enteritis all over the "Hexagon". Worst hit is the Calais area where most of us land! No visits to McD for me next week!!!

Guest 1footinthegrave
I don't pretend to be an expert, so just an observation really. Apart from a bottle of Port ( and the cork now replaced by plastic) I do not ever recall buying anything that said "made in Portugal", ditto Greece apart from some Olive Oil, southern Ireland, no nothing comes to mind, Germany, A BMW ( second hand ) once, numerous domestic appliances as well over the years, Spain, well maybe the odd bottle of wine, France, mmmmm, some soft cheese, so as an ordinary bloke I have never seen how these economies could ever come together. My take is was was a bunch of self serving politicians who dreamed this whole thing up, and none of them fancy looking like fools when it does all unravel, and unravel it will, is my best guess.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2012-01-07 7:49 PM

I don't pretend to be an expert, so just an observation really. Apart from a bottle of Port ( and the cork now replaced by plastic) I do not ever recall buying anything that said "made in Portugal", ditto Greece apart from some Olive Oil, southern Ireland, no nothing comes to mind, Germany, A BMW ( second hand ) once, numerous domestic appliances as well over the years, Spain, well maybe the odd bottle of wine, France, mmmmm, some soft cheese, so as an ordinary bloke I have never seen how these economies could ever come together. My take is was was a bunch of self serving politicians who dreamed this whole thing up, and none of them fancy looking like fools when it does all unravel, and unravel it will, is my best guess.

The only place you will find a politician is behind the curve ;-) as they're to busy pocketing the expenses or talking Jack sh*t about nothing they have any control of *-)

Wallynnette - 2012-01-07 2:15 PM

Just been to Nat West for some euros and they told us to go across the road to Cash Generators because their rate was better than theirs. Even their own staff get their euros from them. Never been in Cash Generators before but we got 585 euros for £498, cash over the counter this morning. Much the same as Tesco but no waiting. We'll get a few more if its still up in a month. Anyone else had euros from Cash Generators and have they been reasonably competitive ?

If you've got one local to you, I can never beat this lot.

It beat Cash converters, but you really didn't want to know that - sorry :(

http://www.eurochange.co.uk/

Martyn

Whoopy-do, the pound is up a little against a currancy which most of the world believes is about to become history, look at the pound (or euro) rates against the other main currancies and you will see we are going down with it, if we where doing much better than euro we should be around 1.5 to pound, what this means for UK I don't know, but rest of the world is not impressed with our econony.

Because UK Motorhome manufacturers don't seem to be able to export to Europe in any meaningful way ??? I hope that the exchange rate carries on rising (1.40 or 1.50) would be nice. That would make ALL the european vans that get exported to the UK cheaper and more affordable.

At the present i think they are greatly overpriced, especially considering the sparse amount of kit that comes as standard with them.

Maybye I will be able to afford that Hymer or Rapido after all ? ;-) Ray

LordThornber - 2012-01-07 8:53 PM

Wallynnette - 2012-01-07 2:15 PM

If you've got one local to you, I can never beat this lot.

It beat Cash converters, but you really didn't want to know that - sorry :(

http://www.eurochange.co.uk/

Martyn

Hmm, the eurochange.co.uk rate is a good one - unfortunately, the nearest branch is 47 miles away (as the crow flies). :-(

Exchanged £100 today at our local 'Cheques and Change' http://www.chequesandchange.co.uk/ to top up our existing holiday cash pot for a trip next week, and got €1.177 Euro to the pound.

Guest Peter James

Very Good post as usual Brian Kirby.

We keep hearing about how bad the Euro is, but its still done better than the pound since it was introduced. It shows how used we are to bad economic news when we take the current situation as good. It would be good to get back where we started, when the Euro was first introduced 4 Jan 1999, and the rate was 1.406 Euros to the pound.

Then stay there. How can we expect manufacturers to set up in Britain and invest in new training/equipment/premises to produce goods for export when they have no way of knowing how much they will be able to sell their goods for?

Archived