International camping Card (CCI)

Retread24800

I remember that my Camping Carnet gave me reciprical rights abroad when booking into 'Members' sites, does the same thing apply now that I'm a Johnny Foreigner i.e can I use SC/CL/Club sites at members rates? With the Caravan Club, according to the section in French on the C&CC site yes but the Caravan Club doesnt seem to make the same concession :-(

If you want a reliably authoritative reply, I think your only course will have to be to e-mail the clubs the question, and then print any affirmative reply for reference. Even if everyone on here says yes you can, it won't persuade a reluctant CL/CS owner, or site warden, whereas an e-mail from head office almost certainly will.

As far as I can ascertain, the following is the situation:

CCI holders get concessions at club sites which are much better for the C&CC than those given by the CC. (see extracts below)

The CCI will be of no use on CLs or CSs.

The C&CC does a reduced rate (and time) temporary membership for oversees visitors which I suspect would also allow use of CSs and THSs (though the details are unclear). See this link (on which one of the bottom three sets of details are the easiest to read as they are in English ;-) :

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/aboutus/overseas-visitors/

1562224074_CCCreciprocal.JPG.00a44ea66b9f4c5b012a1c564d0a4079.JPG

CCreciprocal.JPG.74d9a4140e421fbfdbf0a32dbe0d32aa.JPG

I've E-mailed the CC and am not holding my breath.............. text of message follows:-

Bonjour a tous!
I hold a CCI from FICC and would like to know if this card will allow me to visit your Small rural sites (Certified Locations?) when I am touring in the UK or if members fee structure applies when visiting your larger sites?
Roger Thomas 
I'll keep you posted.:-)

Retread24800 - 2012-01-06 10:13 PM

I've E-mailed the CC and am not holding my breath.............. text of message follows:-

Bonjour a tous!
I hold a CCI from FICC and would like to know if this card will allow me to visit your Small rural sites (Certified Locations?) when I am touring in the UK or if members fee structure applies when visiting your larger sites?
Roger Thomas 
I'll keep you posted.:-)

Recieved a reply today......................Not very amicable?

Dear Mr Thomas

Thank you for your email.

I`m afraid the CL sites are only available to members.

Kind Regards

Tina

Web Contact Team

(Caravan Club Limited)

Hi Mr. Thomas (Retread),

The CC reply seems fair enough. CL sites are for CC members who have paid a membership fee to be members. Many UK CC members have a CCI for use abroad so I don't see why a CCI alone would entitle anyone to use a CL site. A number of Continental folks join CC or CCC when in the UK; it only takes a few nights of using CC sites to recoup the membership fee and it does open up opportunities to use Cls and temporary holiday sites or rallies/meets. I hope this reply doesn't offend - it certainly isn't meant that way.

A number of Continental clubs and sites offer 'members' benefits to visitors, I would have thought that the Caravan Club would feel obliged to offer similar hospitality. The attitude is in marked contrast to that of the Camping and Caravanning Club who do offer full members discount at their Club sites to visitors, against 50p off full prices at CC Managed Club sites and no entry at CC Club owned sites.

You must remeber that CL's are privately owned and run. They are granted a licence via the club on the understanding that they are for "Members only"

Furthermore I dont think any CL owner would entertain any type of payment other than hard cash. :-D

I am not sure if you are aware that the CC&C give big discounts off the prices for over 55s. You may find that it would be worth joining as you would save the subscription perhaps after only a few nights. The reductions are bigger in the low season of course.

ips - 2012-01-10 5:18 PM You must remeber that CL's are privately owned and run. They are granted a licence via the club on the understanding that they are for "Members only" Furthermore I dont think any CL owner would entertain any type of payment other than hard cash. :-D

I just feel sorry for CL/CS owners who are unable to welcome foreign tourists onto their sites because of contractual obligations placed upon them by the major organisations, I always pay cash, the CCI card is a membership card not a cash/credit facility.

Patricia - 2012-01-10 4:27 PM

I am not sure if you are aware that the CC&C give big discounts off the prices for over 55s. You may find that it would be worth joining as you would save the subscription perhaps after only a few nights. The reductions are bigger in the low season of course.

I agree about the benefits of being in CCC (and also CC). The CCC non-member additional charge per pitch is £7.10 per night, whilst for the CCC it is £10 per night. Thus staying at CC sites for 5 nights or CCC for 6 would recoup the cost of the membership fee and bring all the other benefits of membership including genuine access to CS/CL sites with the opportunities for cheaper stays. Temporary Holiday Sites also offer great value for money to members. (Of course for those aged over 55 the number of nights staying on a CCC site when age discounts apply means the cost of the membership fee is recouped a little earlier.

I think you will find that the discount for the over 55s is the same percentage at any time it applies. During High Season the age discount only applies at a few sites therefore the greatest discount in monetary terms on most sites is in the Mid Season. A "typical" discount per person per night in Mid Season is £2.70 and in Low Season £2.30. I am grateful for ANY discount I receive. It is a welcome and real bonus.

Retread24800 - 2012-01-06 4:28 PM

I remember that my Camping Carnet gave me reciprical rights abroad when booking into 'Members' sites, does the same thing apply now that I'm a Johnny Foreigner i.e can I use SC/CL/Club sites at members rates? With the Caravan Club, according to the section in French on the C&CC site yes but the Caravan Club doesnt seem to make the same concession :-(

I have been touring Euurope for years and always show my CCI as a means of ID. No campsite has ever offered me a discount for being a member perhaps you can enlighten me as to the places in France that do offer a reciprical discount. The CC quite clearly do not in the UK, this is their right, not much good moaning about it, just join and make use of the CL,s avalible.

rupert123 - 2012-01-10 6:17 PM
Retread24800 - 2012-01-06 4:28 PM I remember that my Camping Carnet gave me reciprical rights abroad when booking into 'Members' sites, does the same thing apply now that I'm a Johnny Foreigner i.e can I use SC/CL/Club sites at members rates? With the Caravan Club, according to the section in French on the C&CC site yes but the Caravan Club doesnt seem to make the same concession :-(
I have been touring Euurope for years and always show my CCI as a means of ID. No campsite has ever offered me a discount for being a member perhaps you can enlighten me as to the places in France that do offer a reciprical discount. The CC quite clearly do not in the UK, this is their right, not much good moaning about it, just join and make use of the CL,s avalible.

Some 1300 European campsites offer high and low season discounts to members holding CCI a search here might show a favourite?:-http://www.campingcardinternational.com/campsite-search/

In my early days (1990's)I found that a number of better sites were solely affiliated to various clubs, german, Dutch etc despite their listing in Michelin, I always gained access by offering my Camping Carnet.

I just feel sorry for CL/CS owners who are unable to welcome foreign tourists onto their sites because of contractual obligations placed upon them by the major organisations, I always pay cash, the CCI card is a membership card not a cash/credit facility.

Fair point I suppose, Thank you for the clarification re-CCI being a membership card I assumed (wrongly) that is was some sort of freebie / pre paid thingie..

Retread24800 - 2012-01-10 6:23 PM
rupert123 - 2012-01-10 6:17 PM
Retread24800 - 2012-01-06 4:28 PM I remember that my Camping Carnet gave me reciprical rights abroad when booking into 'Members' sites, does the same thing apply now that I'm a Johnny Foreigner i.e can I use SC/CL/Club sites at members rates? With the Caravan Club, according to the section in French on the C&CC site yes but the Caravan Club doesnt seem to make the same concession :-(

Some 1300 European campsites offer high and low season discounts to members holding CCI a search here might show a favourite?:-http://www.campingcardinternational.com/campsite-search/

In my early days (1990's)I found that a number of better sites were solely affiliated to various clubs, german, Dutch etc despite their listing in Michelin, I always gained access by offering my Camping Carnet.

Thanks for that, will have a look.

Archived