Any Suggestions? 17 day trip

laimeduck

I am currently planning our 17 day trip across Europe which we will be making in June this year.

The plan is to follow what is basically a pear-shaped route down to the South of France & back. We may go clockwise or anti-clockwise (depending on friends in Tubingen Germany)

The headline detail is: -

Eurotunnel - Luxembourg, Tubingen (Germany), Fussen (Germany), Reschenpass into Italy (using Brian Kirby’s toll-free route!), Lake Guarda, then across N. Italy to Cuneo to the Tende pass, down to Monaco, Route Napoleon to Grenoble, then maybe Besancon to Auxerre & home.

Anyone got any favourites locations along this route?

We will opt for ACSI sites & and maybe some Aires.

Any must see sights along the way?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

hols2012a.jpg.ae411f416f686d7ea7a78d1f381a80db.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
I think that is a bit adventurous for what is essentially not much more then a couple of weeks....You will spend most of the time driving and see and experience little IMO. Plus it will be expensive on fuel. Better to concentrate on a smaller area. But if whistle stop touring/driving your thing enjoy yourself! :-D

Yes I agree with the last reply, it'sa long way with alot of driving and it mixes stops near (relatively) to home with others further away. Our 2 or 3 week holidays always were a quick burn at both ends of the holiday and a leisurely middle dawdling about. We could always visit the places nearer to home ona shorter trip another time.

For example, going to Garda we would want a quick trip across Germany and then start to dawdle in Austria or northern Italy and here maybe only move from one valley to another to enjoy the experience and maybe a few days without driving as its very easy to do on Garda with the ferries and buses.

Its another good drive across to the south of France and a very different experience and another good drive north to Grenoble and then a rush up to Calais.

Have you thought of splitting them for different years.

I would be tempted to head across from Garda to Grenoble if you want to come back thro France or why not head across towards St Moritz and Davos and have alook at Switzerland before heading into France.

Or sticking with Italy go across to Bormio for the high mountains and if you're up for the Stelviio come back across that and join your outward route and maybe back into Switzerland as above.

alan

Guest 1footinthegrave
Around 2000 miles plus your UK mileage, sounds like a whole load of tarmac in 17 days, I too echo both of the above posters comments, mind you I could easily spend 17 days just pottering around northern France, and if it's blistering hot it's not going to be a whole lot of fun in the driving seat for all that time :-)

Agreed far too much driving for only 17 days. If you really want to got to the south of France or one of the other destinations you mention you could spend 3 days driving down there & 3 days coming back without any time for sightseeing on route and have 10/11 days there, we used to do it with a caravan & the kids but it's not the Motorhome way of life.

Also I would give Monaco a miss with a Motorhome it bad enough driving in & out with a car.

We used to do that sort of trip by car and arrive home worn out.

Now in the camper in the light of experience we keep to about 150 miles a day and aim to park up by about 1600 hrs giving time to eat and look around the area.

last year we spent June relaxing in Normandy and Brittainy and only covered 1,000 miles.

Guest 1footinthegrave
We had planned to do the Millau area last May/June, covering about 100 miles a day, problem was we kept tripping over nice spots and never got there, sometimes going as little as 10 miles in a day, and that was over the whole of May and June 9 weeks in all, mind you it was bloody hot, not the best driving weather. I think when looking at a map of Europe it is all too easy to underestimate distances and time, and there is so much to see. I would just urge the OP to re-think his plans, although that may not be what he wants to hear :-(

Guest JudgeMental

You can get to/from Garda in 2 days....We have got back from there in that time yearly for last 5 years....

Germany/Mosel and then down to Fussen is a nice trip.... then Alsace region on way home. Non toll motorway all the way.....

One of the things I have learned over the years I have been going on Le Continent is that EVERY town and village has something to offer. I rarely just sleep overnight now, I like at least a day to have a look around. Then sometimes, when I have discovered some interesting lake, river, cycle track. cathederal etc etc. I will stay for another day or two.

We take a couple of weeks going down to Spain and come back a bit quicker.

I have done the high mileages and hours of driving in the past, now I always try to remember that it's a holiday, your supposed to enjoy it.

I would rather spend 30-40 Euros in the local Cafe than spend a lot more than that driving all day.

So, just to agree with everyone else, it looks like a lot of driving in 17 days.

H

Hi

We spent nearly 6 weeks last year touring France and travelling 2,300 miles and even then we realised we were not seeing France but just doing a lot of travelling, so our suggestion is to half the distance and stay longer on sites. For us it's Annecy as a destination and staying as long as you can as you will definiately not want to leave. Plenty of sites along the west of the Lake.

Derek & Pauline

We are planning a simiar route as Jeremy, the oiginal poster. We will be setting off mid April and returning the end of May, 45/50 days, but we plan to clip the western tip of Switzerland then stopping a while at Annecy before staying at a few different sites on the Med Coast then travelling back through the centre of France.

If anyone has any recommendations of where to stop or where to avoid I would also be grateful.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies

Incidentally the reason we are doing this route is that it is identical-ish to the one we did on our honeymoon 30 years ago in a small 2 berth caravan towed by a diesel Golf, starting on 6th June 1982.

Among other memorable parts of this holiday (That do NOT involve this forum!!) I do remember driving up the Mont Cenis pass and wondering why all the GB trucks were flashing their headlights & waving their logbooks? When we got to the top we managed to get BBC radio 4 & learned that we had just won the Falklands War. That was special. :-D

The reality is that I have being touring Europe with my family by caravan since 1982 (and with my parents by tent & Dormobile since about 1953.) I know the distances involved and am happy with them & I have to be in certain places along the route at certain times .... so that is not an issue.

I was rather hoping to glean some interesting stops along the route if anyone has any suggestions?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Well considering I've only been going over to Europe by road for about 5 years my guess is you could tell me and a few others on here a few good spots along the way. If however you need some top tips for Snowdonia, I'm your man been coming here and now living here since 1961, enjoy your trip :D :D :D

...OK, just throwing a couple of things in.

It looks like you will be doing a few "one-nighters" on the way. We found that the stellplatz at Biberach (South of Ulm, but W of the Autobahn) was a good overnight stop (though little more than a fairly large, dedicated motorhome parking space. Free and quiet, despite being just on the edge of the attractive town centre - a good place to stroll around for the evening.

If you're heading South over the Fernpass from Füssen, then Ehrwald, not far into Austria, makes a decent place to stop over. We've generally bypassed the area, but really enjoyed it when stopping off on the way back. A big "bowl", with good walking and a number of "refreshment" places. Several ACSI sites in the area - we stayed at Dr Lauth - initially we thought a bit of a mistake as they were fussy on orientation of the van (not choice of pitch), but it turned out to be a very friendly site (with great views).

Ehrwald.jpg.dd81ab3c58ac9bf5667244aa26d4735c.jpg

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs have you considered visiting Trier in Germany with its part Roman cathedral.

The other comment would be that the Alpine pastures will be blooming nicely in June and so a detour or two near Grenoble/Briancon might be pleasant. A couple of the Cols; Croix de Fer for example.

We hope to be in the French Alps around that time roughly following La Route des Grande Alpes as posted on here (extremely good description of a journey) a few months ago. It might be that we will return home by following your route anti-clockwise.

Hope you enjoy it.

Robin - yes we will be doing many one nighters & maybe 3 nights in Grimaud near St Tropez.

Ehwald - looks just fantastic and is exactly what I was looking for - thanks so much!

Cronkle - Trier looks interesting and will be a definite possibility. I had forgotten the alpine meadows, but thought we might get something similar in Provence with poppy fields etc. I had already cut & pasted the Route des Grande Alps, but that will have to wait for another year!

1footinthe grave - Lucky man living in Snowdonia! I lived there in Bethesda for 6 months in 1969 while working for the Nature Conservancy. I had to climb Grib Goch once a week to read the Met Station on the ridge - boy was I fit then!!

Guest 1footinthegrave

Not sure if it would be on route, but we were very impressed with the city of Metz, an excellent municipal site, and right outside that a free Aire, ( can you imagine that in the UK ) all situated along the river bank ( Moselle) with just a very short walk into the city, magnificent cathedral, and really a charming city with lots of hidden surprises, lots of riverside walks and lovely buildings. This was to be an overnight, we ended up staying four days.

No dump facilities on the Aire, only fresh water, but free of charge. A bonus is there is a very large public swimming pool adjacent if you fancy a dip. Astonishing that considering it's proximity to the city it was a peaceful spot as well. Located just off Rue du pont des morts, which you turn off on to Allee de Metz plage, the site / aire is just along there. Not a stress factor to drive in to the location either. Google earth street view it !

Your route from the med looks like it will take you pretty close to the Verdon Gorges in Provence. Simply unmissable. There is quite a bit of info on our blog for summer 2011.

Not been to Garda but we have been to Como, Maggiore, Lugana and Lake Orta. These are not really on your route though which is a pity as Maggiore and Orta are superb. Orta is perhaps the least well known but IMO the prettiest place we have seen in Northern ITaly by a mile.

Guest JudgeMental

Might as well add all the recommendations in this thread to the whisle stop tour.... and allow 15 minutes to enjoy each spot :-D

Shell and Texaco will be adding you to their christmas card list *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2012-01-10 12:10 PM

Might as well add all the recommendations in this thread to the whisle stop tour.... and allow 15 minutes to enjoy each spot :-D

The OP said he did a similar trip for his honeymoon 30 years ago, different strokes for different folks I guess, I spent most of my honeymoon in bed with my new bride, exhaustion would have prevented a marathon European tour as well. :D :D :D

With your short amount of time you are not going to make to many diversions I would guess. If going to Fussen then a visit to Neuschwanstein I would guess is a must see. Would not bother to go inside the Castle, very disapointing, but walk up to it and around the back to a bridge over the gorge, great views and the castles best bit is the building from the outside. We stayed at a Schwangau, just outside village, Stellplatz at Camping Bannwaldsee, very good, tad expensive, you can bike in from here. After Luxemburg you could divert to Alsace and take in one of the best villages in France, Riquewihr, we stayed at ACSI site a mile from town. Cannot help with italy but would not bother with Monaco, unless you like tower blocks, but just above it their is a choice of three roads, take the middle one very scenic with a couple of nice villages, visit Eze. As had been said would be silly to miss Canyon of Verdon as you pass right by it. You can either come to the south side and drive along it to the lake at the end, plenty of places to stay here. I would go to Castellanne and drive in from this end. Only one village on this side called Palud sur Verdon, we stayed at a municipal just before the village called Le Grand Canyon, good basic site, good price. From here you can spend best part of a day driving the Routes des Cretes for all the best views, go clockwise, looks narrow at first but fine. I would head for Annecy, plenty of sites here or cramped aire near to old town. From their consider heading for Geneva, bypass the town and drive over the Jura and if you have time stop off at the Falls of Herrison, we spent a day here walking them, stayed at camping LaAbbaye ACSI site. have a good trip.

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2012-01-10 4:08 PM

Might as well add all the recommendations in this thread to the whistle stop tour.... and allow 15 minutes to enjoy each spot :-D

Shell and Texaco will be adding you to their Christmas card list *-)

The OP said he did a similar trip for his honeymoon 30 years ago, different strokes for different folks I guess, I spent most of my honeymoon in bed with my new bride, exhaustion would have prevented a marathon European tour as well. :D :D :D

We spent 4.5 weeks visiting Croatia and lake Garda last summer. Everyone said not enough time and they were right, but we have no choice due to wifes profession. I have a list as long as my arm of things we should have done....

I just think such an undertaking in such a short time pretty pointless........ Incidental we spent our honey moon visiting the 3 main Italian lakes, staying in wonderful hotels (3 weeks in a new convertible :-D)

We spent 4.5 weeks visiting Croatia and lake Garda last summer. Everyone said not enough time and they were right, but we have no choice due to wifes profession. I have a list as long as my arm of things we should have done....

I just think such an undertaking in such a short time pretty pointless........ Incidental we spent our honey moon visiting the 3 main Italian lakes, staying in wonderful hotels (3 weeks in a new convertible

Judge - in a way you are right .... but 17 days is what we have because my wife is 10 years younger than me & is still working, so holidays are limited. We are not really beach sitters so will still have time to see some sights - a tad more than 15 minutes I think ;-) The last 2 years we have been to Normandy & Brittany so want to go South & as stated it is a special anniversary.

The route as highlighted is 1900 miles. We know we will have to do a couple of 8 hr driving days but that still leaves 14-15 days to do less than 100 per day - a reasonable trade off I think.

We have a rendevous in Reutlingen near Tubingen and then another in Tende (French Italian Border near Monaco) hence the route going close to Monaco, although we wont go in there.

We then have a rendevous near Grimaud, so our route is really not negotiable

The Verdon Gorges could fit on the return and we will go up the Route Napolean to Grenoble from Cannes so will go via Castellane etc so thanks Barry & Rupert. We won't go to Annecy as we go near there, Le Grand Bornand, skiing most winters so know the area well.

1footinthegrave - Metz looks really good - I might try this Camping in May on a separate trip (another of my Banger Rallies!)

Thanks once again for all your comments - keep those suggestions coming!! :-D :-D

Guest JudgeMental

In the same situation myself Jeremy. wife 10 years younger and still working while I am retired.

Wife has decent holidays as in education, but it is very restrictive only being able to get away high season....

one approach we are considering is for me to drive down somewhere a few weeks earlier, and Mrs M fly over for a couple of weeks then I saunter back.....Might try this at Easter and visit Spain or Cote de Azure

Archived