Switching from caravan to motorhome?

bridie

Hi

I am new here and looking for wise advice ( which I'm sure is here in abundance)! :-D

We are retired and, on retirement, went back to caravanning to travel at home, and more importantly longer journeys around Europe. After long consideration and advice we went for a wee Eriba Familia caravan - easy to tow and well made.

After a few trips through France, Spain and Portugal we are now thinking (just thinking - but can be persuaded!) of switching to a motorhome. They do seem to have a greater flexibility in where and when you can stop. We have no problem with the small Eriba and so are starting to look at small hi-top conversions. We particularly like the layouts of the Vantage Med and the Smartcampers Rio as well as the Globecar Trendscout. The end bed with the swivel front seats give a very similar configuration to the Familia.

The questions are (finally):

are there other motorhomes out there similar in size and layout

any happy owners of the 3 I mentioned or other similar

new or second-hand

should I switch

Thanks

Guest Tracker

Hi Bridie and welcome to the weird and wonderful world of both Motorhomes and this forum!

As a dedicated Coachbult Motorhomer I have no knowledge of any of the vans that you mention although I did try an Autosleeper Symbol once and whilst it did work very well I soon went back to a bigger and more spacious van.

Have you considered such vans as Romahomes and the Auto Sleeper Mezan - or are they maybe a wee bit too wee!

Many smaller vans don't have a loo, and if they do there is no way to use it at night and certainly not very often do you find an adequately spaced loo compartment. This might not worry you if you use only sites and don't mind nocturnal perambulations!

If you buy used and get it wrong first time - as many do - then when you swap you will lose less money than buying new first time!

It might pay you to hire before you buy to get the hang of it in principle and better determine which layout suits you best. Some firms will even refund you the hire fee if you buy a van from them!

Swivel front seats are OK but they don't give (in my view) the comfort of good old fashioned feet up lounging - even more so when you have been sat it one all day as well as all evening!

Should you switch? Only you can say that as there are pros and cons with each and it depends on how you want to use it?

Clutter expands to fill the available space so the bigger the van you get the more you will carry.

we started with an eriba puc caravan but it was too small for my 6'4" build so swopped it for an eriba triton. many years later got a autosleeper hi top transit which also doubles up as our main transport too best thing we ever did.

not sure if auto sleeper still do transits but plenty of others do. the transit drives just lke a car and has good mpg

Caravans or Motorhomes? There is no right answer as it all depends on your priorities and mobility.

With a caravan you can set up camp and clutter off in the car. Simples

With a motorhome you can pack up and take the van and don,t have to come back. or Take a push bike for local running around, or hang a scooter on the back etc. But this aspect needs serious consideration as once you have set up the awning and toilet tent and wind breaks its a bit tough to go out for a meal if the pub is 8 miles away.

The travelling experience is much enhanced with a motorhome with the higher seat hight you see over hedges and across fields. Also motorhome seats are designed for a driver who will spend all day in them earning his living. They ARE much more comfortable than car seats for a long journey as the position is more upright.

Space. Panel van conversions tend to have less useable space inside compared to a moderate caravan, you all need to be comfortable with this. Compact and bijou.

Road handling. Without doubt a panel van conversion will handle better than a car towing a caravan. Reversing is not a problem either (unless you tow a trailer!)

We have tried all the options and bigish motorhomes suit us as we also carry two small motorbikes.

But what do you want to do??

Good luck

C.

Clive - 2012-01-09 9:21 PM

Also motorhome seats are designed for a driver who will spend all day in them earning his living. They ARE much more comfortable than car seats for a long journey as the position is more upright.

C.

Unless your car is eg. A Discovery or the like, which will still give you a better sitting position. ;-)

Dave

Hi bridie ... wecome to the mad house! :-D

If you:

1) Like to stay in one area for a long amount of time.

2) Take lots of bits and pieces (ie outdoor furniture etc) with you which you leave out on site and also need to travel in your 'van when going from site to site.

3) Leave things strewn about in your caravan (ie don't put things away when not in use) when going out for the day.

4) Like to be able to park easily and us multi-stories and 'tight' car parks.

... then you may find switching to a campervan/motorhome problematic.

However, if you:

1) Want to move around fairly often and visit things on your way/journey.

2) Don't take loads of stuff with you.

3) Are tidy and put things away.

4) Are prepared to walk a little bit further if needs be.

Then you may well be suited to a campervan/motorhome lifestyle!

Of course, when used in mainland Europe you can also take advantage of the wonderful aires/stellplatz etc areas specifically for motorhomes to overnight at. B-)

Golden rule? Try before you buy. See what you can hire that approximates to what you think you would like. Then, when you return it to the hirer, you will know two things. Whether you actually motorhomes at all, and whether what you thought you wanted, is actually what you want! Overall, this is far cheaper than swapping vans until you get it right. Some get lucky first time, others don't!

We have had both, and motorhoming is not the same a caravaning, and a different mindset creeps in, changing your perceptions of where you might go, and for how long, and then you find the van that seemed right initially, is no longer right. Hiring one or two can help bring that process forward, before spending major cash.

We used to be tuggers made the move 3½ years ago & never regretted it.

The caravan was fine for holidays with the kids when you want a base for a week or two. Took us a little while to adjust to a different way of travelling, never used to plan much with a caravan with the Motorhome even less we decide where we are going often on a daily basis rarely staying more than 2 nights in one place.

France & Germany are Motorhome heaven, you are never short of a place to stay the night often free or just a few Euro.

Far less driving involved as you don't have to return to your base every night, do your sight seeing and move on to the next nice spot a typical 2-3 week holiday in France or Germany we reckon on doing only two thirds or less miles compared to a car & caravan.

We hired a couple of times before buying, a must have was a fixed bed, we liked the idea of a garage but after hiring we found we didn't like climbing up into a hole above the garage to go to bed so we ended up with a French bed almost the same layout as our last caravan.

I don't agree with Rich about swivel seats in our van they are the most comfortable perch in the house but is does depend on the seat ours are ISRI captains seats. Another must have for us was a fixed table we don't like flapping about making beds and putting tables away, but that's us.

As Mel says for an easy life carry a lot less junk only pack the things you are going to use regularly, we still have boxes of junk in the house garage that came out of the caravan.

I would defiantly hire first if you are not sure, the first time we hired we hired a small van (Hymer Van) weren't sure, the second time we hired a larger van and knew it was the way to go. We hired in Germany as we wanted to hire a specific model & if we brought it would be a Hymer also hiring in Germany was several hundred pounds cheaper than the UK with a far greater range of vans.

I also do not think hiring in the UK will not give you the true Motorhoming experience as you will probably end up staying on sites & not experience the roaming freedom that you get on the continent.

If you want an easy roaming lifestyle go for it, if you are happy to stay on a site for days at a time you might as well stick with a caravan.

Take a serious look at the new Autotrail Tracker range, being new to motorhoming you will want the best back up and customer care available. Autotrail have a very good after sales customer service centre and their dealers are usually very good as well. Although I live in Lancashire I prefer to travel to Grimsby to the factory where all the expertise is. I was there yesterday having some work carried out and came away with the satisfaction that what they did was first class, they are switched on to customer care.

Look carefully at the advice concerning the switch and I would seriously consider hiring for a week in order to help you understand the differences between MH and caravan. Also think very carefully about your needs and priorities and try to carry out a sysematic analysis of them.

If you decide that a MH is for you then I endorse the suggestion of East Neuk Fifer "S" or "M" especially as they are only a few miles down the road from you and have a great reputation for customer care and after sales service. You can access a report in What Motorhome on this site. I think you will find that the build quality is superb. If the design and layout suits your needs there are very strong arguments for not going further south as you can speak direct to the "designer and manufacturer". The vehicles have some very clever design features which may not be immediately obvious to those less experienced. You should visit them soon if there is any chance you will buy because there is a lead time from order to delivery.

I have a new Fifer "M" on order so I am putting my money where my mouth is even though I cant' yet speak from operational experience. I did however crawl all over the demonstrator !

Best of luck with your search.

While I have no experience of the vans you mention it looks as if you want a panel van with a rear lounge. This is exactly the lay out my wife and I are currently looking at and our list includes; Autosleepers Stratford or Warwick, Autocruise Rhythm, Devon Aztec, Swift Mondial, Vantage Med., Globecar trendscout. Although we have been motorhoming for a lot less time than some on here we started with a fairly large coachbulit and have slowly downsized to our current coachbuilt and are now looking at a panel van. As you have been used to a small caravan a med. panel van should give you enough space. As to changing cannot say, never had a caravan and would not consider one unless my touring was confined to the UK. Some good advice given but you need to consider your own needs not what suits others. We tour a lot in mountain areas and a caravan restricts you here, some high cols they are not allowed over. We need our scooter, did one trip without it, never again it restricted us to much, so you need to consider how you will get around. Some on here move on every day, not for us, we sometimes do but if we find a place we like will stay several days, never more than about four though. Two of the vans you mention only have a two burner hob and no oven, is this ok for you. One, the Smart only lists two 3.9kg gas cylinders, if this is correct would rule it out for us. As to trying first, good advice I guess but we never did, just went ahead and bought, although did some research first. Both M/H and caravans have their drawbacks but you have to be prepared to get around them, others do and we all have our ways of doing it. The biggest problem with a M/H is transport from site or aire and again we all have our ways of sorting this out, for us a scooter. Good luck whatever you decide.

Just a follow up to a comment, We did tow a Swift Challenger caravan behind a Discovery for two years. Sold the Challenger and swapped the Disco for a Landcruiser as the Disco was forever in the garage. Although the riding position in the Discovery is significantly better than most cars it is still no where near as good as our Sprinter based camper. The Disco ride is actually better than the Landcruiser though.

But its YOUR money and try before you buy is paramount.

Take care

C.

Clive - 2012-01-10 1:29 PM

Just a follow up to a comment, We did tow a Swift Challenger caravan behind a Discovery for two years. Sold the Challenger and swapped the Disco for a Landcruiser as the Disco was forever in the garage. Although the riding position in the Discovery is significantly better than most cars it is still no where near as good as our Sprinter based camper. The Disco ride is actually better than the Landcruiser though.

But its YOUR money and try before you buy is paramount.

Take care

C.

Clives post show's how differant we all are. While I agree a modern M/H is better than a car, our x250 seats certainly are, we to have had a Discovery and a Landcruiser, Discovery 2002/2003, Landcruiser 2003/2004, we thought the Landcruiser a better ride. As he said it is better to try things for yourself.

We switched from a caravan to a motorhome about 4 years ago, and to be honest we did not think it through carefully, we are still not sure we made the right decision.

Take your time, if you get it wrong it is an expensive mistake.

Melvin - 2012-01-10 5:55 PM

We switched from a caravan to a motorhome about 4 years ago, and to be honest we did not think it through carefully, we are still not sure we made the right decision.

Take your time, if you get it wrong it is an expensive mistake.

A friend of mine went from caravan to motorhome and found it didn't work for him. He's back in a caravan now.

We have been motorvanners for since 1985, and caranners for 5 years prior to that (yes we started young!) and never regreted the switch. It depends what your main use will be. If it is U.K. touring then stick with caravan as U.K. is mainly set up for this method of vanning. If mainly touring France, Germany, Italy etc then motorhomes are best as these countries with their networks of "aires" are set up for us. If that is what you want to do then go for it. Forget pratting about with hire vans look around, find a layout you like and away you go. (To be honest would go for a coachbuilt rather than van conversion if you want to make best use of aires).

As others have mentioned think it very carefully as the costs to swop are, at least in my budget, very high. Even a 2nd hand motorhome will be over £20 grand unless you get a really old one and I suspect that as retirees you are not wanting to spend all your time and money on fixing things. You also have to look at your home, can it take a motorhome, are you allowed to keep it on your drive as many homes have Covenants. It is unlikely you will get one to fit a garage unless you go for the mini campervans.

Ironically, and it may be blasphemy on here, many retirees (those of State Pension age and above) have gone to the caravan route as they do not wish to drive every day and prefer to relax on a site for a while, especially if you go to Europe. It takes long enough to get to the south so doing more is not so much fun, at least for us. We are retirees and for us trips to Spain last 3 months or more at a time, so driving every day is not so attractive. We prefer to set up, have more internal space and use a car for shopping etc. I also speak from watching some motorhome owners on the sites we use. Some only stay a night or two and move around, others especially with larger motorhomes seem to sit and look a bit lost. They have a big unit but often limited room inside, usually a half dinette idea which is often very upright as it doubles as travelling seats. Cab seats are fine but would not suit my wife who likes to sprawl. They often end up towing a scooter or even another car which does seem a buit negative. You sometimes get the idea that they might have jumped without thinking things through fully.

Again, as others have mentioned do hire one and not just once. Try several types. Expensive yes, but better than losing an even bigger wad of cash. We started with a caravan, moved to a coachbuilt motorhome and are now back with caravan as I cannot park a motorhome at my home so as I need storage I might as well have car and caravan.

Archived