Still no UK aires

Retread24800

We did have an aire - in Guisborough, North Yorkshire - it was campaigned for over a long period of time and the council were open to discussions and took on board the needs of motorhomers for an overnight stop. It opened as an experiment and to see if it could be made permanent. After a while, it closed for lack of interest. - You can't win 'em all.

One of the reasons for us investing large amount of cash in a Motorhome, is the opportunity for freedom of travel it gives & multiple breaks from routine. For those you don't need to travel overseas.

To us that freedom includes being able to go away when we can, sometimes on the spur of the moment or prospect of unexpected good weather.

With the technology now available, it does not take long to find somewhere suitable for a few days.

Be they CL's, CS's, Stopovers, Pub Car Park (see the competions magazine) or especially outside the main season - full facility Caravan Sites offering bargain prices with full amenities.

e.g. October 2011, 4 nights (Sun - Wed) £5.00 per night including unmetered electric- beats the cost of a minimal facility CL/CS or most Aires.

If stuck, but with all facilities on board, a word with a friendly farmer has also given unexpectedly pleasant site for a odd single night.

So, Aires or No Aires, cost can be kept down if required, just a little more searching involved.

Posting indignant pleas for Aires on a Forum is not going to change things.

Just because there aren't any, and people in the UK treat Motorhoming tourists both foreign and UK very badly.

Doesn't make it Right. If we ALL complain enough perhaps one day it might change (is that a pig i saw flying by) . *-) Ray

J H - 2012-01-19 7:53 PM

We did have an aire - in Guisborough, North Yorkshire - it was campaigned for over a long period of time and the council were open to discussions and took on board the needs of motorhomers for an overnight stop. It opened as an experiment and to see if it could be made permanent. After a while, it closed for lack of interest. - You can't win 'em all.

It wasnt ideal though was it? every time we have passed it had buses parked in fact it looks more of a carpark bus station to me :-S I dont think the Council tried very hard with that one there was lots of area,s in the vacinity (not the middle of the town) where they could have made one.

Look at Redcar seafront that would make a lovely aire, in fact I have noticed a couple of motorhomes parked there! but I dont know how long they would have been allowed to stay before the locals started to protest or they were told to move. Lets face it we English are very intollerant and it doesnt take much to start people off. Councills should be lobbied to provide short stay aires where you had to show parking tickets, that way the travellars could not take over the area,s :-S that is the reasons Ive heard of why we dont have them.

Archived