Aires

bridie

Guest 1footinthegrave

Yes but twice as long going back uphill LOL

Please don't let it descend in to an Aires v sites. You can have hassle on sites as well if your unlucky, and as for waking up in a nice spot, this Aire not too far from Calais is hardly a car park. I agree some like Gravelines that tend to get used as ferry stopovers can be as you describe,but conversely we had an awful experience at a site at Chartres, and would have left in the middle of the night but for the gates being locked, what does that prove, nothing really.

Internal Server Error Again

We are sorry but we have experienced an unexpected problem and the page you are trying to access cannot be displayed. Our technical team have been notified and will aim to fix this problem as soon as possible.

So no picture, never miond

We are not impressed with Chartres either the car park just down the road by the flower meadow is much nicer & free, on the whole municipals are pretty good shame we don't have anything like it in the UK.

Didn't really notice the walk uphill perhaps because we were on our way home after spending 3 weeks walking in the mountains. (lol)

You get that "server error" when the file is far too big. Must be under a 100k.

Tony Jones - 2012-01-11 9:44 PM

neillking - 2012-01-11 12:04 PM

In France both are likely to be overcrowded in the peak holiday season especially if anywhere near water.

Very true Neil - I'd only add, though, that when a campsite says "Full," it's FULL, and you won't be allowed in, whereas when an Aire is "Full" you can usually squeeze one more van in somewhere - I'm sure that, like me, you've often watched in amazement as the French practise their "advanced sardine packing (or parking!)" No way to spend a holiday, but it does mean you can always stop and sleep SOMEWHERE! :-D

It's not just the French who park like that Tony...I had the pleasure of a Brit parking so close to that I actually had to ask him to move..and when he asked why I said I can't open the habitation door plonker...This from a so called seasoned motorhomer or so he reckoned..It wasn't as if the Aires were busy..It was the aires at Forges-le-Eaux..which is huge it can hols at least 50 vans..and there were 10 of us on it max...

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2012-01-12 3:28 PM

We are not impressed with Chartres either the car park just down the road by the flower meadow is much nicer & free, on the whole municipals are pretty good shame we don't have anything like it in the UK.

Didn't really notice the walk uphill perhaps because we were on our way home after spending 3 weeks walking in the mountains. (lol)

You get that "server error" when the file is far too big. Must be under a 100k.

Thanks for that about the server error, sadly we are both wearing out, missus with Osteo, and me with knackered knee's after a working a lifetime on them I guess, so on a bad day even 100 yards can seem like a long way, its a bugger really. As you say the flower meadow, but sods law we only spotted that the next day, as is often the case Picture of Aire I was trying to post just south of Calais, but keep it to yourself !.

1386537184_AireNormandy(480x270)(440x248).jpg.283dc51a566dbefef37147c277d55f5c.jpg

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2012-01-12 6:33 PM

Aires like that are just great.

Already suffer with the back and one knee plays up a bit, dreading the the day when all the bits really starts wearing out.

Not sure if France passion has been mentioned to the OP, the Aire above is also in that scheme as well as being listed as an aire, but could not see what if any produce they were selling, lovely spot though.

For Boulonge we find best aire to stay at is Le Portel. Easy walk into Le Portel centre (good markets) and beach; for Boulonge regular bus service for 1€ each way. Little noise, but aire does get very busy at week-ends; 3€/night with electric hook-up 2€ for 4 hours if required. (But yes when busy vans are parked close so if this is a worry then there is a site at far end of Le Portel, but do not know what it is like, never used it (no surprise!) and is a long way out.

Archived