Motorhome top cover

heavyhorse

I have an Autosleeper Executive year 2000, I bought a top cover from Pro Tec covers, with the roof bars on the top when it rains I get like a swimming pool on the top, so I thought that I would tie extra bars across the top padded on the ends so that it would not damage the cover, it did not work as it has just shifted the water somewhere else and with the recent winds one of the extra bars has damaged the cover. I sent an email to Pro tec to ask for advise but the have not responded. My question is has anybody had the same problem, if so how did they deal with it ?

Guest Tracker

May I ask - why does it need a cover?

Is it in danger of going bald or catching a cold!

I've had motor caravans for over 35 years and have never felt the need to cover one and I have seen others with chaffing damage where the cover has damaged the GRP shell?

The only advantage of a cover that I can see is that it might, or might not, reduce algae build up on the roof - but I get up on the roof every spring and wash it off in an hour or so!

heavyhorse..

It sounds like you're in a similar situation to us, tree-wise ...we're forever washing "tree gunk" off the roof and it's a real pain in the backside because it's coming "less-clean" each time.. :-S

I do keep toying with the idea of getting a cover but as we use the van quite regularly,I'm aware that to fix and secure it properly each time would also be a bit of a pain...

To stop the water pooling on the roof just park up on some blocks,so that the there's a distinct slope...

(..I just use some short bits of old scaffold planks..)

Heavyhorse,

I bought 6 'beach balls' and put them between the bars of our roofrack held them in place (roughly) by Elastic luggage bungees, before it used to be like a swimming pool up there, after.... no problem. AND no damage to van or cover as the balls roll or compress. Ray

Archived