Down to basics...how many cassettes shall I take?

snowie

Guest Tracker
1footinthegrave - 2012-01-12 6:11 PM

Another option is a s**tbox, less bulk being flatpacked, and far less expense that a second cassette that may rarely be used, see here

http://www.thebrowncorporation.com/

A strong builders bucket with a black bin liner and a simple home made wooden seat would do just as well - or even without a seat if you are in a rush!

Hows that for multi tasking for the humble bucket!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2012-01-12 6:15 PM

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-12 6:11 PM

Another option is a s**tbox, less bulk being flatpacked, and far less expense that a second cassette that may rarely be used, see here

http://www.thebrowncorporation.com/

A strong builders bucket with a black bin liner and a simple home made wooden seat would do just as well - or even without a seat if you are in a rush!

Hows that for multi tasking for the humble bucket!

That's their business out of the window then..........we just all need to carry a builders bucket, and make or buy a seat. :D

youve already got a 'bucket' and a seat. its called a toilet. put the bag in there.??? you could use any colour to colour code, or nappy bags for the perfumed scent. a whole new ball game!!!!!

and it could go out with the rubbish to an offficial tip full of far worse things it is very biodegradeable,

even the shovel method is relatively green. we are i believe, the only species of life that doesnt just dump the stuff|!!!

i seem to have aalready posted here. perhaps less wine oand more care *-)

You lot are joking, I hope. I go on holiday to enjoy myself it certainly does not include carrying spare buckets of s**t around or dumping it in ditches, digging hole's to bury it in etc. Bin bags with something in to absorb the pee, good grief, what for, all to save a few euro's a campsite or aire would cost. No wonder free camping gives us all a bad name and more places are being closed to us all. As most will know I have always been completely against free campimg, wild camping to some with an effort to give it a bit of glamour I guess. Their are plenty of campsites, aires, etc to stay and no reason for it other than to save a few euro and this thread has certainly done nothing to dispel this opinion.

rupert123 - 2012-01-12 11:17 PM

You lot are joking, I hope. I go on holiday to enjoy myself it certainly does not include carrying spare buckets of s**t around or dumping it in ditches, digging hole's to bury it in etc. Bin bags with something in to absorb the pee, good grief, what for, all to save a few euro's a campsite or aire would cost. No wonder free camping gives us all a bad name and more places are being closed to us all. As most will know I have always been completely against free campimg, wild camping to some with an effort to give it a bit of glamour I guess. Their are plenty of campsites, aires, etc to stay and no reason for it other than to save a few euro and this thread has certainly done nothing to dispel this opinion.

Having posted the original question it's taken 28 or so replies to get to the point that,I, as a newcomer to this forum, considered making.

I have no objection to "wild camping" in countries where it is legal and where it is done for reasons other than avoiding spending money on sites. I look forward to some beautiful places in Scandinavian countries.

My enthusiasm for Aires is limited, I don't like overcrowded carparks in scruffy areas, I like a bit of space and a nice view.

I love France Passion "sites" and could happily string several together, and in normal circumstances toilet capacity shouldn't be an issue.

And it's not just wine you can buy; in fact anything from nut oils to trout is available people suggest that they might feel obliged to spend money; on the contrary; we expect to find stuff that we would normally buy anyway; food; of better quality etc.

I think overwintering in Spain and Portugal could be more challenging tho'.

I shall buy an extra cassette, but cat litter and builders buckets doesn't appeal,

As someone else says ' no right or wrong; but definately different" or along those lines

regards

alan b

Guest 1footinthegrave

I think perhaps some of us,including me,assumed you were a newcomer to the whole motor home scene, and gave replies not on what any of us actually do, but what options you could adopt for extended wild camping which could as far as we are aware could have been in the Gobi desert. You sound a well seasoned motor home traveller with all the answers already, so why pose the question in the first place. You view of Aires is the usual tunnel visions one, they are all far from car parks, and do offer for the most part the facilities to dump your s*h*i*t that's why so few people need to carry a spare cassette.

Rupert123 is off on his usual rant making assumptions about what some of us do, I "wild camp" on occasions and I leave not even a hint of having been there, so for God sake man change the record. Our impact on the environment is far less than those like you that demand and use all facility sites, I don't get it, why not go to Butlins, but that's your choice, a tap,and a sewer connection is all that we need every few days and Aires provide this.

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-13 4:55 AM

I think perhaps some of us,including me,assumed you were a newcomer to the whole motor home scene, and gave replies not on what any of us actually do, but what options you could adopt for extended wild camping which could as far as we are aware could have been in the Gobi desert. You sound a well seasoned motor home traveller with all the answers already, so why pose the question in the first place. You view of Aires is the usual tunnel visions one, they are all far from car parks, and do offer for the most part the facilities to dump your s*h*i*t that's why so few people need to carry a spare cassette.

I'm certainly not well seasoned; 2 seasons only, and so far uk, france germany and belgium, and a combination of commercial sites and france Passion. We've passed some nice looking Aires, and some at the other extreme.

Venturing further afield, and particularly over the winter months presents different challenges, Spain and Portugal are not as far as I'm aware blessed with the equivalent of aires, at any rate not as widespread. I think the maxim empty at every opportunity, regardless of use is the best single piece of advice that I have gleaned, simple but effective.

The location of emptying facilities in spain and portugal is something that I guess relies largely on word of mouth.

Regards,

alan b

Guest 1footinthegrave
I think you'll find the vast majority of winter sun motor-home users stay at conventional sites, perhaps a new thread specifically about that would have gained more useful answers for you. We were down near Mojacar, Spain, a few years ago and most brits were on sites and had been for months, looking like tanned leather. Obviously the issue of extra cassettes was a non issue. Although others may differ, both Spain and Portugal would be the last places I would wild camp in any event, unless with a group of others. . ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-13 4:55 AM

Rupert123 is off on his usual rant making assumptions about what some of us do, I "wild camp" on occasions and I leave not even a hint of having been there, so for God sake man change the record. Our impact on the environment is far less than those like you that demand and use all facility sites, I don't get it, why not go to Butlins, but that's your choice, a tap,and a sewer connection is all that we need every few days and Aires provide this.

I am not making assumptions mr whateveryour name is, my comments are based on this thread and the postings of the 'wild campers' on it. They made the statements about what they do, not me. Just go back and read it all for yourself, I find it hard to believe people actually do this stuff.

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-13 10:48 AM

I think you'll find the vast majority of winter sun motor-home users stay at conventional sites, perhaps a new thread specifically about that would have gained more useful answers for you. We were down near Mojacar, Spain, a few years ago and most brits were on sites and had been for months, looking like tanned leather. Obviously the issue of extra cassettes was a non issue. Although others may differ, both Spain and Portugal would be the last places I would wild camp in any event, unless with a group of others. . ;-)

Your suggestion is a good one; and your conclusion regarding "wild camping" in spain and portugal is one I have also reluctantly come to. We have had the opportunity to accompany some friends on trips to Portugal for the last two years, and have declined for a combination of the reasons you suggest.

Looking at the moment at end of feb departure, destination probably Lisbon area. We stayed at aramacao de pera in a chalet (before we bought a van) several years ago, met up with camper friends, and enjoyed the area and site; we shall see.

regards

alan b

Guest 1footinthegrave
Rupert123, I do not condone in any shape or form disposal of ANY kind of waste anywhere other than a recognised point. I'm sure the vast majority do likewise. Litter is my number 2 pet hate, followed by the very new phenomena, the "clean up after you" dog crap bags, that in our area are then dumped all over our local sand dunes to sit there nice and fresh for months on end. Apparently an estimated 1000 tons is dumped every day, now that is something to have a rant about. I doubt even the worst "wild camper" could match that, in other words, there are bigger fish to fry. regards, Mike.

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-13 11:20 AM

Rupert123, I do not condone in any shape or form disposal of ANY kind of waste anywhere other than a recognised point. I'm sure the vast majority do likewise. Litter is my number 2 pet hate, followed by the very new phenomena, the "clean up after you" dog crap bags, that in our area are then dumped all over our local sand dunes to sit there nice and fresh for months on end. Apparently an estimated 1000 tons is dumped every day, now that is something to have a rant about. I doubt even the worst "wild camper" could match that, in other words, there are bigger fish to fry. regards, Mike.

Mike I fully accept what you say and no doubt their are others like you, are they the vast majority I have personal experiences to doubt this. As for their being bigger fish well again you may be correct but this is a M/H forum and I repeat the members stated quite clearly what the do. I did not start this thread and indeed made no attempt to answer the question posed however could not believe some of the answers, thank goodness the original poster has the good sense to ignore them. Incidently for future reference please put your name in your details so I remember it.

SORRY MIKE, just had a look and you have done just that, my mistake.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Perhaps as my daughter often tells me when I go off on one, we have to accept we live in a less than perfect world,with less than perfect people. :-(

Guest pelmetman
If you empty your cassette in the sea...............then judging by what I've read about our sewage companies your just cutting out the middle man ;-) (lol)

pelmetman - 2012-01-13 2:40 PM

If you empty your cassette in the sea...............then judging by what I've read about our sewage companies your just cutting out the middle man ;-) (lol)

I hear there is an added benefit to this practise, but only if you stand in the sea while doing so. I gather the effluent forms a very effective, and free, if slightly lumpy, sun tan lotion for the legs! :-D

Guest Tracker
Brian Kirby - 2012-01-13 4:54 PM

pelmetman - 2012-01-13 2:40 PM

I hear there is an added benefit to this practise, but only if you stand in the sea while doing so. I gather the effluent forms a very effective, and free, if slightly lumpy, sun tan lotion for the legs! :-D

I would imagine - and what a pretty picture it conjures - that depends on which sort of curry you had the night before!!

Guest Tracker

How about a hole in the floor and a funnel - best used at 60 mph when natural 'wind blown' dispersal should be at it's best as long as you don't get a sudden updraught!

Not to be used unless the vehicle is in 'motion' and it would certainly make following vehicles keep their distance!

Being a responsible person, on the rare occasions when emptying a toilet-cassette into the sea has been unavoidable, I've always made absolutely certain that the tide has been going out before beginning the emptying exercise. This is, of course, just commonsense but I thought it worth saying just in case newcomers to motorcaravanning were unaware of the correct etiquette.

Another useful wheeze is to fish out a spiny sea-urchin from a rock-pool and drop it into your toilet-cassette. When the urchin swims frantically around inside the cassette its spines will remove much of the limescale that builds up over time. Choose a Green Sea Urchin if you can find one, as their spines are particularly sharp and hard, plus they are small enough to pass easily through the cassette's emptying spout. OK, I accept that this species is endangered, but I'm sure a few woon't be begrudged by wildlife conservation fanatics if used for a vital task like toilet-cassette cleaning.

(I considered posting this information on the Hints & Tips section, but putting it here should reach a wider audience. Hopefully this invaluable advice will be picked by Warners staff and published in a future issue of MMM.)

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2012-01-13 6:56 PM

You're slipping Martyn, you missed out the sea urchins! :-D

I guess it must be laziness, but somehow camp sites just seem so reassuringly simple and relaxing after reading this string!

You'd think so Brian ;-)..........but a couple of nights ago after a bit too much wine I was informed by the boss that the loo was full........So 10.30 at night I staggered across to the elsan point.......I staggered because of the weight 8-)..... not the wine :D

It was locked 8-) 8-)...............Why would you need to lock an elsan point? 8-)............So staggered back to the van again *-)

Archived