Down to basics...how many cassettes shall I take?

snowie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker
pelmetman - 2012-01-13 7:08 PM

It was locked 8-) 8-)...............Why would you need to lock an elsan point? 8-)............So staggered back to the van again *-)

Nothing new for you Dave was it - being in the sh!t - again!

Please share with us either where you emptied it when nobody was looking or how you overcame by ingenuity that particular potential overnight fiasco!

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2012-01-13 5:56 PM

Another useful wheeze is to fish out a spiny sea-urchin from a rock-pool and drop it into your toilet-cassette.

Surely Derek in deference to the spiny sea urchin's predicament the use of at least two crinkley starfish would be a better option?

Not only are they more plentiful and easier to find but used in pairs they would be less lonely and in some parts of the world the environment inside a cassette is probably more akin to their local seashore!

There was a time when swimming in the Firth of Forth was known simply as - 'going through the motions'!

Brian Kirby - 2012-01-13 6:56 PM

You're slipping Martyn, you missed out the sea urchins! :-D

I guess it must be laziness, but somehow camp sites just seem so reassuringly simple and relaxing after reading this string!

Really Brian, you do not enjoy carrying a bucket of s**t around like Rich. Do you think we are missing something perhaps we should give it a try.

We carry TWO cassettes

BUT we only carry two when we go to a kite event in a field with just a tap and no disposal facilities other than portaloos for the tent campers.

This way we easily last for 5/6 days. We always use septic tank approved chemicals and a spray bottle of pink fluid to minimise water usage.

When camping in the normal manner we empty often and take on water when available. France is so easy for this.

Joyce

dragonflyer - 2012-01-13 9:44 PM

We carry TWO cassettes

BUT we only carry two when we go to a kite event in a field with just a tap and no disposal facilities other than portaloos for the tent campers.

This way we easily last for 5/6 days. We always use septic tank approved chemicals and a spray bottle of pink fluid to minimise water usage.

When camping in the normal manner we empty often and take on water when available. France is so easy for this.

Joyce

Thanks Joyce; I think that very sensible response just about draws a line under this thread; thanks to all of you who responded; sorry it stirred a few hornets

take care (and a spare cassette?)

regards

alan b (aka snowie)

ends...................................

rupert123 - 2012-01-13 8:50 PM

I guess it must be laziness, but somehow camp sites just seem so reassuringly simple and relaxing after reading this string!

Really Brian, you do not enjoy carrying a bucket of s**t around like Rich. Do you think we are missing something perhaps we should give it a try.

Really Rupert! I know you don't always agree with what others say but suggesting that Richard is a bucket of s**t is going a bit tooooo far! (lol)

Mel B - 2012-01-13 10:55 PM

Really Rupert! I know you don't always agree with what others say but suggesting that Richard is a bucket of s**t is going a bit tooooo far! (lol)

Ah yes Mel, perhaps he will not notice, but then again. Perhaps I should go back and re-word that, oh no forgot to late for that now.

Guest pelmetman
rupert123 - 2012-01-14 10:58 AM

Mel B - 2012-01-13 10:55 PM

Ah yes Mel, perhaps he will not notice, but then again. Perhaps I should go back and re-word that, oh no forgot to late for that now.

I think its unfair to pooh pooh Richard's idea :D...........as it must be valuable stuff if they lock the Elsan point at night 8-)............maybe I ought to start saving it as an investment ;-)...........I suspect it will worth more than its weight in euro's........................ soon (lol) (lol)

Nah! I think I'll leave Rich to exploit his own technique a bit longer. I'm waiting for his report after he forgets to empty the bucket and then crosses some decent mountains with the lid still on. First an inexplicable bang from the washroom, then realisation, then inspection! Hope it doesn't seep out under the door! :-D

dragonflyer - 2012-01-13 9:44 PM

We carry TWO cassettes

This way we easily last for 5/6 days. We always use septic tank approved chemicals and a spray bottle of pink fluid to minimise water usage..............................Joyce

For some reason I can't quite make the connection between carrying two cassettes and the kites ........................................... Er, you don't do you! Surely not. Not over the tent campers. Don't they get cross! Especially with that pink fluid! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-01-14 1:00 PM

Nah! I think I'll leave Rich to exploit his own technique a bit longer. I'm waiting for his report after he forgets to empty the bucket and then crosses some decent mountains with the lid still on. First an inexplicable bang from the washroom, then realisation, then inspection! Hope it doesn't seep out under the door! :-D

You could easily solve the problem of an exploding 'sealed' container by fitting a bubble airlock in the lid similar to that used for demijohns when making wine:

http://www.brewstore.co.uk/2-piece-fermentation-airlock-1433-p.asp

airlock.jpg.df7166ba178c80cfaf5ccb31f5e9de76.jpg

Well at least a laugh, reading everone's solutions.

BUT for the life of me I can't get my head round the need for more than ONE Cassette, unless there is a need to immediately replace due to Delhi Belly or similar .

If you are concerned about the next available emptying point. surely the logical answer is to ensure it is emptied at every opportunity, irrespective of how full or empty.

Carrying more than one cassette, implies (to me) that at some point you will have one in it's correct locker - part full & the other sat somewhere else in the Van, with the potential to move about & discharge it's contents where they are not wanted. *-) *-)

Or do you strap it to the outside so it discharges into the windsceen of following traffic :-(

JamesFrance - 2012-01-15 8:21 AM

You could always install one of these:

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-porta-kassett.html

I just assumed that's what the OP had in mind.. (...you wouldn't want to be just sitting it in an underseat locker,would you... )...

Although I could imagine that on some vans with low side skirts,they would be a bit of a struggle to use(..especially with a "full" cassette... :-S )...

pepe63 - 2012-01-15 8:50 AM

JamesFrance - 2012-01-15 8:21 AM

You could always install one of these:

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-porta-kassett.html

I just assumed that's what the OP had in mind.. (..as you wouldn't want to be just sitting it in an underseat locker,would you... 8-) )...

Although I could imagine that on some vans with low side skirts,they would be a bit of a struggle to use(..especially with a "full" cassette... :-S )...

Fiamma's "Porta Kassett" (PK) product was mentioned at the beginning of this thread and neilking said subsequently that he has one fitted to his motorhome.

Plainly there are ground-clearance considerations regarding the PK, with a need for it to be mounted high enough above the ground to minimise the likelihood of damage from speed-humps, kerbs, etc. and to allow the container to be swung down sufficiently low to allow the toilet-cassette to be extracted/inserted easily.

I can't say I'm comfortable with the simple mechanism that tethers the PK container in its raised position, but that's because I tend to massively over-engineer anything I make and I can envisage what would happen if the PK container swung down when the vehicle was being driven. If I fitted one I'd add a secondary tether (sturdy cable with a carabiner?) to make absolutely sure that shouldn't happen.

As it is, my Hobby has a convenient space under the bed where I could store a spare cassette if I so chose. I'd guess that cassettes should be readily available from caravan breakers though, in my case, I'd also have to purchase a 2nd SOG connector.

....well a single cassette has always worked for me.

With a comprehensive set of Thetford locker door keys it's usually possible to find an unattended vehicle with an empty cassete and do a swap. ;-)

.....now, how many of you have got back to your 'van, gone to use your loo, and thought "I'm sure I emptied that last night!".

8-) B-)

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2012-01-15 9:41 AM

With a comprehensive set of Thetford locker door keys it's usually possible to find an unattended vehicle with an empty cassete and do a swap. ;-)

.....now, how many of you have got back to your 'van, gone to use your loo, and thought "I'm sure I emptied that last night!".

8-) B-)

Well that's a new take on the Robin Hood theme 8-)..............Steals from the rich, and gives pooh to the poor (lol) (lol)

2 cassettes?..... you could have a "HIS" & "HERS"....... :-D

Went to Knebworth festival 1979 and the facility for everyone was a great big pit with plywood partions with a hole cut in the "seat" and a long drop to murky pool. Sacking hung infront for a door. The end of the festival was an eyeopener and eye waterer. Wonder if they turned the field back to pasture after? Even after pumping out there must have been plenty of residue :-D

pelmetman - 2012-01-15 10:15 AM

8-) B-)

Well that's a new take on the Robin Hood theme 8-)..............Steals from the rich, and gives pooh to the poor (lol) (lol)

....wotcha mean, "steals"??

....I've simply borrowed the empty one and left a deposit. B-)

Robinhood - 2012-01-15 5:11 PM

pelmetman - 2012-01-15 10:15 AM

8-) B-)

....wotcha mean, "steals"??

....I've simply borrowed the empty one and left a deposit. B-)

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Waste not, want not" .... (lol)

Archived