Which GPS to buy in France for France?Help

plumbersvan

:'( I read hear that sarkosy who seems to have surrounded himself with people who fear his maddness and so rules by decree 8-)

I read hear that you can no longer buy a GPS with the fixed radars listed 8-)

The decree is that you cant "USE" one it dosnt say cant buy one :-S

Darty (a French shop) list several with radar warning

Garmin NUVI 1240 74€

Garmin NUVI 2340 119€

Tom tom XL Europe classic 119€

Which is the best?? (?)

Id like to replace my now 4 year old Garmin with a Tom tom as there are more points of interest---Mac donalds Ikea Darty-------____--- 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Which should i urgently buy while stocks of pre charged Radar last (?) (?) (?) (?) 8-) *-)

I've got a Garmin 1470T & a Navman S90i both I consider pretty useless in France. When in France always use Autoroute on a Netbook with a GPS Receiver avoids a lot of trips down very narrow roads.

Depends on what roads you intend to use we have never paid a toll in France since getting the Motorhome as we prefer to amble down the RN & D roads so being able to sus out the road width is high on on our priority list something satnav's aren't very good at in France..

I use a Garmin 700 series here and in France. I update it regularly (lifetime deal for £99 updated quarterly). Can't say I see any significant difference between UK and France or Germany or Italy etc. In some ways it's better in France because 'avoid tolls' avoids most motorways - the reverse of here. Once in a region we want to explore I often set it to shortest to enjoy a small voyage of discovery along French lanes and through small French towns & villages many of which have become favourites.

I think it's wrong to say it is OK to USE a GPS with camera facility, my understanding is that it's an offence to simply carry such a device. There is an on-going debate about if and when the change from 'detectors' to 'warners' comes in and whether sat-nav updates will change automatically to accommmodate this - see other threads for details.

:-S The radar warnings seem to be left off the new GPS stock 8-)

That is when i went to Darty which is a good place to start looking for say GPS about half the selection didnt include radar warning Garmin has speed warnings??? (?) :-|

I did intend to buy a tom tom this time and new :-S My last one i bought when i arrived (about the same time last year B-) )for a winter visit with my new camping van,The gps was sale of old stock turned out to be two years old :-( :-S So roads were already out of date *-)

What should i buy this time (?) I dont know

plumbersvan - 2012-01-12 1:41 PM

:-S The radar warnings seem to be left off the new GPS stock 8-)

That is when i went to Darty which is a good place to start looking for say GPS about half the selection didnt include radar warning Garmin has speed warnings??? (?) :-|

I did intend to buy a tom tom this time and new :-S My last one i bought when i arrived (about the same time last year B-) )for a winter visit with my new camping van,The gps was sale of old stock turned out to be two years old :-( :-S So roads were already out of date *-)

What should i buy this time (?) I dont know

I think you will find that whichever one you buy you will need to update it at some time and then the radar warnings will disappear as mine have on the TomTom when updated last week.

AFAIK, it is still, and will remain, perfectly legal to have speed limit indicators/warnings on sat navs under the new legislation. It is only warnings of the fixed radar installations that is to become illegal. Anything that detects radars is also illegal.

It seems the current crop of sat nav manufacturers are responding by incorporating "danger zones" into the mapping, which I guess will roughly equate to accident black spots. So warnings will continue to be given, but of road conditions and not of speed traps. Ask the shop to confirm that the sat navs they are selling will be legal to use under the new law.

For the relatively small extra cost involved I'd suggest looking at sat navs with the full European mapping rather than just France. Then, if you get footloose, you'll have the guidance you've become used to wherever you go.

Have just done the regular update of my TomTom, which included speed camera warnings in several EU c0untries and UK, and it has deleted all the French ones....it did advise this would happen if you ticked the option, but didnt give any alternative for 'danger zones' or anything similar?

Keith T - 2012-01-12 5:32 PM

Have just done the regular update of my TomTom, which included speed camera warnings in several EU c0untries and UK, and it has deleted all the French ones....it did advise this would happen if you ticked the option, but didnt give any alternative for 'danger zones' or anything similar?

When I updated there was no warning and my Spanish speed camera warnings have disappeared too. Have yours?

For older Tom Tom's that have not been updated it is possible to link to your PC/Laptop, download the files, delete "Speed Cameras -France" files, then reload to your Tom Tom.

Saves the cost of replacement.

Don't know if this works with other makes.

*-) I do want to go to Portugal *-) Im intending to buy a GPS with 23 euro lands and radar warnings

When im lost its reassuring to have a device that beeps when finacial disaster looms 8-)

You have only 20 days to pay a euro speed fine before it tramsforms from 40€ to 230€ and worse 8-) Then there is always the risk of UK powers that be collecting that fine 8-)

Archived