Costly Advice !! Umwelt (German LEZ Badge)

HymerVan

I make no apology for starting a new thread regarding the above.

The February MMM advises at page 29 using :- http://www.umwelt-plakette.de to buy a German Umwelt Sticker at a cost of 40 euros. This is a commercial site charging in effect a service charge over the odds to sell you something you can buy direct from the German Government for 6 euros at :-

www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php

The "clone" umwelt-plakette site has been around for a long time and predated the ability to buy online from Berlin. In 2008 I bought the sticker by post from Berlin and got it by return with an invoice for the charge of 5 euros as it was then. Pretty impressive !!

I find it disappointing that MMM should publish an article which is clearly poorly researched.

Oh and while we are at it the comment concerning Netherlands rules quotes "the rules do not apply to motorhomes with GVW of 3.5 tonnes or more" . That is misleading because "3.5 tonnes or more" INCLUDES a GVW of 3.5 tonnes which would be the GVW of the majority of MH . The point is fairly academic meantime because foreign vehicles are not included in the scheme but this may change. It is however an indicator of poor drafting !!

Guest JudgeMental

There are similar rip of sites in operation here as well. The one that springs to mind charges £14.99 per application and another site £19.99 for the The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Do a Google search and these pops up and look like genuine, legitimate government sites

Nothing but rip of merchants as the cards are FREE

Most important of all, is have you written to MMM to advise them the first is not the best place to go for the plakette, and the second merits a clarification/correction? They won't necessarily spot either if they aren't told, and can't be expected to know which source out of several is the best for the plakette - though someone ought to have spotted that the Dutch item should have read "do not apply to motorhomes with GVW exceeding 3.5 tonnes".

Sorry Brian that simply will not wash. If there were several places to get the plackette, then they should have all been published. Then the reader could do their own research and base theire choice on that basis.

peter - 2012-01-12 6:35 PM

Sorry Brian that simply will not wash. If there were several places to get the plackette, then they should have all been published. Then the reader could do their own research and base theire choice on that basis.

Well, I think it'll just have to wash for now! The information is contained in a contributed article from a freelancer and deals with low emission zones across Europe. It is not an article specifically about the German LEZs, or about where to get the Umwelt Plakette. It mentions the umwelt-plakette.de website as a source of information on the zones, and states that the plakette can be bought from them at a cost of €40. I assume the author is unaware of alternative, and cheaper, sources. I would agree that in writing as an expert he should have had wider knowledge, even that in commissioning and editing contributed articles it would be wise to verify the stated facts, even, dare I say, that the author's motorhome credentials may not be that great :-) (he makes no mention of motorhomes among his various claims to fame), but surely all that is now water under the bridge.

That is why I suggest it is more important, and may I suggest more relevant, to notify the MMM editor of the inaccuracies, so that they can be corrected in a future edition (and even give the author a prod about checking his sources!), than to bemoan the errors on the forum. It is now in print, so it should be corrected in print where it is wrong.

Brian

Thanks for your comment. I take on board your point about advising MMM editorial staff and I will do so. Could you possibly PM me a suitable contact presumably for an e-mail.

I should make two additional points however :-

1. I considered advising them before posting but imagined that Warners monitor their own "Out and About" website and would have picked up my comments anyway and

2. There is a significant lead time from copy to print (perhaps two months ?) so there is potential to save forum browsers money pending any in print follow up by MMM. Consequently I thought the point should be aired without delay.

Credit where its due !!

Brian e-mailed me contact details and I sent an e-mail to Daniel Attwood at 17.30 yesterday.

At 20.51 yesterday (yes a do mean on Friday evening) Daniel sent me a detailed helpful and considered response to the points which I had made, i.e. not just a short acknowledgement but something which must have taken time effort and a scrutiny of the original article to produce. To say that I am impressed is something of an understatement.

Hi,

No need to buy over here most if not all towns will have one or two places to buy your badge

I purchased mine from a local Ford dealer after asking at the tourist info office, 6 eros I think,

simply produced my reg doc, paid up and 5 mins later on my way with sticker on windscreen

Regards Ray

I completely agree with the last two or three contributors, providing that you have your V5C any TUV station can provide a sticker.

Last summer in Germany I simply asked at a filling station for the nearest TUV station, was directed across the road where I went into the station office armed with my V5C. Five minutes later and a cost of €5 I had a sticker marked with my vehicle registration mark.

Mine has just arrived inside a week thats good service ever efficiant Germans, now the question is having a right hand drive motorhome which side of the windscreen do I stick it ? " and don't say the inside " even I know that !! my thanks to whom gives me the right answer ,

Archived