paying by check in euroes

bazooka

I agreed to pay for my umwelt sticker by cheque to TUV NORD Mobilitat for 12.50 euroes.Having received my sticker i am confused how to make a cheque out as my cheques have the pound sighn before the amount. Is it possible to have a building society cheque made out to pay in euroes.I wish ihad paid by credit card but i was worried about security, can anyone help.

Baz

bazooka - 2012-01-13 8:25 PM

I agreed to pay for my umwelt sticker by cheque to TUV NORD Mobilitat for 12.50 euroes.Having received my sticker i am confused how to make a cheque out as my cheques have the pound sighn before the amount. Is it possible to have a building society cheque made out to pay in euroes.I wish ihad paid by credit card but i was worried about security, can anyone help.

Baz

You cannot pay by cheque. Your bank could issue one but it will cost. I made the same mistake and just stuck the euro's in an envelope and posted them. Never heard anything else so assume all received ok.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but Euro cheques are normally only valid in the country of issue. I would suggest that you do as a previous poster did and put the cash in an envelope to them, with a covering letter in English.

John

eljay - 2012-01-14 9:22 PM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but Euro cheques are normally only valid in the country of issue. I would suggest that you do as a previous poster did and put the cash in an envelope to them, with a covering letter in English.

John

Agreed. The currency is shared across borders, but bank accounts are not. For the payee to be able to bank the cheque, he would have to have opened an account with the same bank. Unlikely for a German organisation dealing with a Euro cheque drawn on a French account. Either pay on-line by card, or stick Euros in the post with a copy of whatever paperwork came with the plakette, so that they know whose account to clear.

• 2 weeks later...
rupert123 - 2012-01-13 8:31 PM

Baz

You cannot pay by cheque. Your bank could issue one but it will cost. I made the same mistake and just stuck the euro's in an envelope and posted them. Never heard anything else so assume all received ok.

You can pay by cheque!

Having just sent an English cheque from my bank current account with a Spanish bank to a Dutch company made out in Euros for 915.00 euro all I had to do was put my address on the back of the cheque. The bank charged be a £10 fee for processing/handling when funds were cleared.

You can also get your bank to raise a cheque in euros payable to the foreign company. My bank would give you the exchange rate of the day, deduct the funds from your account immediately and charge a £10 fee and hand you the cheque.

The cost of an international transfer is £25 from most banks and a percentage from the Post Office (around 4% when I asked.)

DJP - 2012-01-24 9:47 AM

Baz

You can pay by cheque!

Having just sent an English cheque from my bank current account with a Spanish bank to a Dutch company made out in Euros for 915.00 euro all I had to do was put my address on the back of the cheque. The bank charged be a £10 fee for processing/handling when funds were cleared.

You can also get your bank to raise a cheque in euros payable to the foreign company. My bank would give you the exchange rate of the day, deduct the funds from your account immediately and charge a £10 fee and hand you the cheque.

The cost of an international transfer is £25 from most banks and a percentage from the Post Office (around 4% when I asked.)

In my post I did say a bank could issue one but cost is a touch excessive for a 12euro amount.

rupert123 - 2012-01-24 12:01 PM

DJP - 2012-01-24 9:47 AM

Baz

You can pay by cheque!

In my post I did say a bank could issue one but cost is a touch excessive for a 12euro amount.

I don't think it's necessary for a bank to issue the cheque - just write it yourself if you absolutely need to.

I have written cheques in euros from my UK bank account a couple of times, and they get paid just fine.

BUT the exchange rate your UK bank charges is utter rubbish, and they charge (or at least my UK bank did) a hefty admin fee.

So whilst in my experience there's no problem in principle at all in writing and sending off a UK cheque marked in euros to a mainland Europe euro-zone company/entity/person (just cross the pounds sign out and put the euro sign in it's place, and write "X euros" in the space for the written amount) it's NOT cost effective for small amounts of money.

Might be useful in a dire emergency though as a backstop, if all other sources of funds are not available....

Archived