"The long Road South"

Bojitoes

Hi

I commented some weeks ago what a helpful article this piece was which appeared in the December and January issues of MMM.So useful I thought I decided to follow the route and stop at some of the stops, aires or sites, mentioned-a big mistake! The first night was ok with a stop at the aire at Le Touquet, basic but ok. Second night we were off route but stopped at the aire at Vivonne as the aire at Parthenay no longer exists. Today we tried to stop first at the Municipal Campsite at Hossegor, it is a literally a building site; then we tried the site at Capbreton, Camping du Lac. Despite having a sign outside saying Ouvrir tout L,anee, which I know means open all year, it wasn't. After spending 10 minutes wandering around looking for any sign of life, a lady pulled up in a van to tell me that it was a mistake and that the site is not open all year any more. I showed her the article and she said that it is wrong, they are not in Labenne and she did not know why the site was included in the article. So to any fellow travellers heading south ensure you allow plenty of time in case your plans are not as well made as they first seemed. Should MMM verify all details of these articles before publishing I wonder?

Bob

Le Touquet has a few Aires shame seems like you picked the worst.

Yes I think MMM should verify But having said that Robert & Jean have travelled most and maybe you could of asked them in a PM or on here if they knew of it .

I feel sorry for you as I know what its like to end up somewhere that is closed in tiny towns especially and be worried about where to go fo rthe night .

Apart from that hope you had a good time.

Bob, I hope you had a good time despite the setbacks.

The ever changing situation as regards Aires etc, is a fact that we regular travellers have learned to take in our stride. There are many alternatives to any that may have closed and often as one closes another opens not far away. The best thing to do is to ask a local or another motorhome owner.

We always allow extra time so that should a scheduled stop be closed, (or, sometimes, full) we can navigate to the next one.

Winter time is quite difficult, places can be shut, water turned off and as you found out, sites marked as open are very firmly closed. It is, I am afraid, the Gallic way.

H

First thanks Michelle for your recommendation, much appreciated.

Second, yes the article altough on the whole to be welcomed (as a change from reviews of Caravan Club Sites !) does contain what appears to be dated info.

So Bojitoes, if you or anyone else wants upto date info on particular aires then ask us either on the forum, or PM us, and will give latest we have, collected from our own visits, various French web sites and online versions of the French camping-car mags. For info on sites then sorry we use hardly at all in France, but there are many site fans on here who we are sure will help.

We looked at that article as we are heading South at the end of the month. But I would not rely on any article I had read, or any recommendations [about sites or Aires - heaven forfend] on here, or on in any magazines.

The Aire fanatics will prosecute the advantages of Aires; Site users likewise.

There are many way of travelling, notwithstanding Motorhomes.

I began back packing in Europe way back in 196? staying in youth hostels, when I was a teenager.

Been travelling ever since in all kinds of camping outfits, hotels and hostels.

Don't rely on anything other than one's own experience and plenty of research before setting off.

Think outside the box........

Guest pelmetman
Never mind Bob ;-)......................At least your going in the right direction South..........16c and sunny again today B-)............

Gwendolyn - 2012-01-14 11:23 PM

We looked at that article as we are heading South at the end of the month. But I would not rely on any article I had read, or any recommendations [about sites or Aires - heaven forfend] on here, or on in any magazines.

I began back packing in Europe way back in 196? staying in youth hostels, when I was a teenager.

Don't rely on anything other than one's own experience and plenty of research before setting off.

Dead right Gwendolyn....my favorite expression " Always expect the unexpected"! 8-) 8-)

By the way, what do you do with your box? :-D

Bojitoes - 2012-01-14 7:44 PM

Hi

Should MMM verify all details of these articles before publishing I wonder?

Bob

That seems to me to be a totally unreasonable idea.

People who send in articles to MMM ( or any other magazine ) write about the ' conditions ' they found at the time of their trip.

If the staff of magazines were expected to contact all the sites etc involved, before publishing an article, to verify that nothing had changed, no articles would ever get published.

( And they would have to employ a lot more staff).

In my experience, even trying to 're-live' one of your own holiday trips can be a great disappointment.

;-)

laimeduck - 2012-01-15 8:55 AM

Dead right Gwendolyn....my favorite expression " Always expect the unexpected"! 8-) 8-)

By the way, what do you do with your box? :-D

My box? I try to escape from it as much as possible…. I try not to be “boxed in”. But then I travel in another…..

I suppose we are all in our “Little Boxes”in one way or another really - if anyone remembers that song from the 60s.

Typical of France or any country come to that things change & move on.

In France outside of July & August you need to be sceptical of campsite opening times, we have found sites listed as open to end of September but we have found they may be open to residents (locals with permanently sited caravans) but closed to tourists at the end of August.

It's never a problem in France as you can always find somewhere to park up for the night.

It is unreasonable to expect MMM's editors to verify 10 or more sights mentioned in an articles especially when they are in another country, articles are often published some time after being submitted.

If you are are concerned about a site or an Aire being open why not check yourself to avoid disappointment.

Guest Tracker

You can buy a brand new up to date book of aires or sites and there will be errors and changes - that's life!

We always look for any aire that we have not used before whilst there is daylight and I always have a 'backup' aire in mind just in case the first is unacceptable for whatever reason.

As said earlier - always expect the unexpected and never rely on anything unproven - least of all a magazine - as it's not that hard to be flexible and plan ahead!

This happens all the time in France. You turf up and dont like the Aire or it might be too busy. There is always another one round the corner. Anyway if its just for a night to get some sleep you can pretty much park where you like in France. Its perfectly legal and safe to stop in a village square or by the side of a quiet road.

As almost everyone above has said, all published data is prone to become out of date by the time it appears in print. The author of the article merely gives possible stopping points down his proposed routes. Looking at the number quoted it must, surely, be clear he cannot have checked and verified all are extant from personal experience, just that they were there when he last used them. However, by and large, there is nothing wrong with the route itself, and that was his main point.

I'm afraid, when it comes to stopping places, you have two simple alternative choices. Research beforehand where you expect to be each night, investigate suitable stopping locations in that vicinity, verify as far as possible their opening dates, and adjust the route as necessary to include them. Pick one or two alternatives, depending on your confidence factor, as possible fall-backs, because there can be no guarantees (we once arrived at a site to be told it had unexpectedly closed because the boiler had failed terminally, and there was no hot water). But, flood, fire, and tempest, can always strike, so nothing is certain. The second alternative is not to plan, drive until tired, and then find what you can, near where you are.

Both techniques have their adherents, it is really a matter of personality which you adopt. However, whichever you adopt, you will always find the odd instance of closed early, not yet open, changed hands, taken over by travellers, sold for development, vandalised, fully occupied by travelling circus, closed for market next day, dilapidated, being re-furbished, wrong directions, just don't like it, noisy, waterlogged, etc etc. So, flexibility is the order of the day, however pre-planned your route. So, never put all your money on one horse to win, always bet each way on several! :-)

We travel with a huge database of sites and aires on our sat-nav, but I always check the existence of, and locations of, any I think I may use, either before departure, or whenever I can get WiFi en route. Internet sites for campsites usually give some indication of opening and closing dates (though even the municipals may not stick to them!), Google Earth is usually good enough to be able to see that a site or aire exists (though much of the photography is out of date), Google Streets allows you to "pull up" outside most, and see how it appears from the outside (though some of these pictures can now be a few years old), and up-to-date guides for sites/aires are essential for the latest info. The Caravan Club Caravan Europe volumes, or ACSI guide, for sites, and probably the Guide Officiel Aires de Services Camping-Cars for aires, which is an annually updated list of French aires, so more current than most others. But, the over-riding consideration must be that both campsites and aires come and go, and that aires are not infrequently re-located as land development pressures change.

Ah the joy of being a Camping-cariste!!!

All articles in MMM are a history of a specific voyage and should be taken as giving you a taste of what is to come, nothing in life is certain, treat your trip as an adventure and consider yourselves explorers.

Personally I use the POI’s for aires and campings available for my Garmin on I-Camping-Car, Camping-car-infos , Archies and GPS-Passion. That way you can always go back into the sat nav click on ….‘Near’… Where I am Now….Extras…. to find an alternative.

Even without a GPS you can still get reasonably up to date info (updated January and July) by downloading from i-Campingcar their listing onto your lap top, even gives two pictures and touristy attractions, France Passion is the only useful book, worth the weight, and also gives the benefit of loads of Farm sites…

Aires are always subject to change especially out of season and can be occupied by fairs and road works.

Especially in the North most aires will not have running water available due to freeze ups..

Gwendolyn, you make some good point but just to repeat any recommendations for aires we make we will make sure are as upto date as possible, as we are involved with many French camping-car web site forums not just the listings sites. We do therefore tend to pick up on any changes quickly. But circumstances can change, the arrival of a circus on an aire is clearly an elephant in the room and therefore having a back-up, or two, is always helpful.

robertandjean - 2012-01-15 8:08 PM

Gwendolyn, you make some good point but just to repeat any recommendations for aires we make we will make sure are as upto date as possible, as we are involved with many French camping-car web site forums not just the listings sites. We do therefore tend to pick up on any changes quickly. But circumstances can change, the arrival of a circus on an aire is clearly an elephant in the room and therefore having a back-up, or two, is always helpful.

I am sure you do robertandjean, [Robert and Jean?] I'm sure you do.

But as I have said in previous discussions, I prefer, for personal reasons, not to stay on Aires.

I sort things out for myself and do not wholly rely on articles I read. And neither would I rely wholly on any advice I read on the Forum without double checking for myself. Although it’s great to get some guidelines to be sure.

Anyway, we have plotted a route; have a back-up route; identified sites that are open; emailed them to check; have a decent selection lined up along the route(s)…. and, this may shock you! - I may even BOOK a pitch at one or two.... Parking up at “friends-and-relations” places is also an option.

We will be as prepared as it’s possible to be…… and prepared if plans go awry…..

Fair enough each to their own .

Sometimes we used to do that check & double check especially with Fred on board.

Othertimes we have ended up deliberately finding a Motorway paying and satying on their Aire of service for the night .

Even gone as far as not liking what we have seen gone out of our way to drive to the next one.

There isnt a right or wrong way and so far we have not come unstuck and doubt if we ever will in France after all its not England is it .

Hubby prefers campsites loads a money . Me I really prefer the Aires unless we need to park for a few days and then I dont mind having a shower and using the campsite services.

Another thing is that if you come across and aire that is okay/nice, stay there, DO NOT be tempted to drive on to another because it might be a bit earlier (half an hour or so) than you'd normally like to stop, or that the next one might be as good as or better than it is ... we've fallen for that and done the extra load of travelling to just be disappointed more than once!!!! :$

We are now on the eastern coast of Spain where it is blooming cold and the rain last night was torrential! However all is now bliss. My point in the original post was to alert fellow travellers to the fact that 2 campsites, not aires. mentioned in the article were closed and so to ignore them in their travel plans. The route itself was good, indeed it is very similar to the one we have used twice before but, for those who do prefer sites to aires it is a long drive from say Poitiers to the Spanish border with very few sites in the ACSI book which are open at this time of year.

Bob

We are heading down to Spain next month. It will be our first trip abroad with the motorhome although we did used to visit with our caravan.

I've found reading MMM invaluable to gather all the information I need.

We are planning to use the route outlined in the articles so thanks to Bojitoes for the information. We have an Aire directory and the ACSI book and I'm making good use of the iternet and the forums but up-to-date information like yours is very welcome. I hope you are enjoying your holiday.

Archived