Portugal and dogs

Poppy

Portugal is a great Country for Motorhomes, wild camping is allowed  / tollerated all  over, lots of good camp sites too if that is what you want, CCC also hold several rallies there too. The people are very friendly and helpful and it is a cheapish Country to be in, I don't know if  animals are allowed on Public transport but would be surprised if they were not as it is such an easy going Country, lots of Motorhomers take their dogs and can be seen all over.

We have stayed in our motorhome in Algarve for last two winters with our dog. This winter the weather has been fantastic - wall to wall sunshine virtually every day.

Turning to dogs:-

Buses in Algarve - NO

Trains along Algarve - YES

The train stations are mostly a few miles north of the coastal resorts, so not too convenient. Trains are cheap, but buses are not !

However with our new folding electric bikes access to train stations is a doddle !

sadly had to return here for business reasons - boo

silicongyro

Can confirm no dogs on buses having been refused entry. Didn't try the trains as locals said it was a no no.

After 6 years of mostly wild camping in Portugal Jan - Mar I have given up. Each year was wetter than the previous year.

If you intend having your dog clipped I can look out details of a dog groomer in Albufeira if you want them. Have had 2 dogs cut by him and he did a great job.

Juts got back from 3 weeks over there, at various wild-camp places along the Algarve coast and then Southern Spain coast too.

Wall to wall sunshine every day except one. Warm enough, about 18 to 20 degrees ambient, for shorts/sandals/sunbathing every afternoon, but chilly (maybe down to 8 or 10 degrees) at night on the coast....but be aware that it's MUCH colder inland, so better to stick to the southern coast at this time of year.

Portugal is hugely dog friendly - and the long, empty beaches are brill for walking them; but also there seem to be gazillions of them just wandering about everywhere, not on leads.

There is a MASSIVE dogsh~t problem everywhere though, as almost none of the locals seem to ever pick up after their dog at all - just let it out of the front door to wander the streets, sh#t, and then come back home again. Not good.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Went to Portugal around ten years ago, and we were shocked at the dreadful condition, and the amount of stray dogs, and the resulting mess in the more built up areas particularly. More than once saw ( we presumed ) locals giving them a good kick, put us off ever returning even though neither of us are big on dogs, but cruelty is completely unacceptable, either by neglect or deliberately .

I well recall having a conversation with one of the English speaking hotel staff that the Portuguese authorities were embarking on a rounding up exercise ( with the inevitable end result for the dogs ) so ten years on nothing much has changed it would appear.

If you are a dog lover and it is anything like it was then you may want to look the other way. Mans best friend eh, well I doubt the Portuguese dogs see us that way. :-(

We've done two longish north to south wanders around Portugal, in '05 and '09, both times in autumn. I would only add this.

If you want to visit Porto or Lisbon (can't quite see the point in going all that way and not visiting both, but Lisbon if you have to choose), unless you have your own transport, you will need to use buses, or possibly trams in Lisbon, to get in.

Don't run away with the idea that the Algarve is Portugal, from my perspective it is the tatty end of the country. It has great coastal scenery - but that has been comprehensively crapped on by unrestrained development.

The north has serious mountains and is very attractive, although it will be much colder in winter. You will travel quite slowly here!

There is then the great undulating plain of the Alentejo, that is largely poor soil dotted with cork-oaks and olives. It can be a bit monotonous, like many flat places, but has its own beauty, and some fascinating towns.

We were not aware of particular problems with dogs on either trip. I suspect the problems recounted may be more common along the Algarve, but my impression of the towns overall, is of clean streets and friendly, helpful, people. There is not a lot of comfort in life for the Portuguese at present. They are proudly independent, and proud of their past, but their present is hard and their future uncertain. Don't expect too much, and you will be agreeably surprised.

Most of Portugal looks a bit sad, because it is several centuries since it had great wealth, and that wealth gave its towns and cities extraordinary architecture that is now mostly neglected and decaying. It is a country of faded beauty, that has for decades been relatively impoverished, and is now sliding backwards. At its best it is stunning, at its worst heart-breaking, but it is its own place, unlike anywhere else, and very definitely not just a continuation of Spain.

Hi

In general, we suggest you read Catherine and Chris on Portugal at:

http://www.theworldisourlobster.com/The_World_Is_Our_Lobster/HOME.html

On dogs, you will be upset by the constant barking of local dogs left alone all day (and probably all night, though probably exhausted by then). They are generally not treated as pets, but as guard dogs or, in the country as farm dogs and are as good as wild. They can be vicious as they are often badly treated. Don't treat them as you would at home.

P&L

Archived