Mobile Hab service

dawki

Guest 1footinthegrave

How on earth anyone can justify that sort of charge ( £150 ) is frankly beyond my comprehension, yes I've seen some dealers labour charges at £70 per hour, and I'm sure I'll be shot down in flames, but this should cost a fraction of that sort of money. Virtually none of it is rocket science, and a gaslow pressure gauge can alert you to any leak in your LPG system for about £25 that can happen at any time, not just on a habitation check.

I do my own habitation check in I would imagine 15 minutes tops, and do it every time I use my van by just keeping an eye on things as I'm sure you do. A lot of dealers will charge extra for remedial work if they find a problem, so it's not even a habitation service not that there is much to service anyway, nice work if you can get it IMO,

I do my own habitation check in I would imagine 15 minutes tops, and do it every time I use my van by just keeping an eye on things as I'm sure you do. A lot of dealers will charge extra for remedial work if they find a problem, so it's not even a habitation service not that there is much to service anyway, nice work if you can get it IMO,

Totally agree, apart from the gas check its more of a visual inspection which as you say we all do all the time.

We

Last time we used these guys, RDH Services Ltd, they were the servicing guys for the 2nd 'incarnation' of RDH and set up on their own when the firm closed and their main work is doing servicing, although they occasionally sell some second hand vans too.

They've reduced their prices so are very good value and do a thorough job and as they are officially registered with some manufacturers they keep your manufacturers' warranty intact plus they are able to do warranty work too which is a bonus.

http://rdhservicesltd.co.uk/default.aspx

Guest 1footinthegrave
I guess if you have to pay to ensure your warranty is honoured £100 is better than £150, but I've always thought this check / servicing malarky is money for old rope if your van is out of warranty, the same with cars. If a person is not up to speed with what needs looking at I guess that's fair enough. But the comfort zone of having someone "professional" do it is what some folk prefer. But a habitation "check" as opposed to "service" is a world of difference, and folk should know exactly what they are getting for their dosh, ask the question will your fridge jet flame be checked and flue cleaned for example. The last time I looked at the servicing cost for my base vehicle it was about £300, what for exactly, change the oil and filter, and not much else in reality 8-)

Hopesy - 2012-01-16 9:57 AM

But as i found to my cost (see earlier thread) you need to have a hab check done and book stamped within set dates to keep the guarantee valid for new vans. :-(

This is right with most warranty agreements. Our 'sexy slut ' has her 2nd birthday in March and we have just booked her in for her habitation check. The warranty we have states that this must be done and a certificate obtained each year for 3 years by a registered dealer. Would be worth checking if the mobile service would still uphold the warranty in case of a claim.

Shes a high maintainance babe - but guess you would have to throw some money at all top totty to keep them at their best lol

:-)

Our van will be 2 years old in April, so this will the last 'official' habitation check it will have - it will be done just before the warranty expires in case there is anything that needs sorting that we haven't found, and, as part of the habitation check is the damp testing/inspection, this will keep the water ingress warranty valid for a few more years which is the only check we will then have done.

You will probably find that a mobile servicing agent won't have the requisite authority to carry out warranty work, or that the servicing will be accepted by the manufacturer to meet the warranty terms, unless he is officially registered with them for doing it, which is unlikely as for each manufacturer he would have to pay to be able to do this. The only reason the RDH lads can do it is because when RDH shut down, they were able to kept the registration with some of the manufacturers who they had already been dealing with, I don't know if a totally independent (ie never part of a motorhome dealership) is able to do this.

Had my Hab done it cost me £150 plus VAT= £180 but had to have it done by dealer as the van was from them new.

The big fiddle is I had to have it done after seven months and the next one is I think 14 or 15 months due to the rules of CI I thought it was supposed to be every 12 months.

Another way to get more money out of us.

Archived