Fairford Airshow

wints

We're thinking of going to Fairford Airshow in July.

Gloucestershire DA are running two temporary holiday sites, one very close to the airfield, and a second one not quite as close at Down Ampney football club.

Anybody been to the airshow and camped at either of the sites ? Pro's and con's...etc.

Any info helpful.

thanks

Allen

Hi Allen

we live in Gloucester and have not camped at the sites you mention. The one thing we can advise is stay for a day or so after the show and arrive a day or so prior. Each year the local paper runs horror stories on how long people have waited in endless traffic to get in / out - up to 8 hours !!!!!!!

The show is very good though and am sure you will enjoy it.

Regards

Mr B

wints - 2012-01-16 4:38 PM

Gloucestershire DA are running two temporary holiday sites, one very close to the airfield, and a second one not quite as close at Down Ampney football club.

Allen

We stayed adjacent to the show a couple of years ago. Facilities were good but the pitch positions appeared to be allocated. As people arrived they were shown to pitches all over the place.

We were shown to ours but complained a few hours later as the 'tugger' opposite was running his generator so his wife could dry her hair with a hair dryer. We spoke to him about it and got a bunch of grief so reported him to the stewards.

We eventually got reallocated but despite there being 30 or 40 empty pitches there was much head scrathing "trying to fit you in".

The position is good and great for photography if you have a good lens.

It's about a mile to walk or cycle to the closest entrance.

trooper - 2012-01-16 7:00 PM

We have been twice to the air show and stayed on a site right next to show, no need to go into show.

Good facility's, ran by Kempsford camping, tel 07821613705.

Just to clear up any possible misunderstanding, this camp site is privately operated and is not therefore ran by either the CC or C&CC clubs.

Yes Kempsford Camping is in a brilliant position right next to the perimeter fence but the cost is very high (and not only financial). I don't mind someone making a few quid but they really know how to coin it in. We've stayed there on several occasions over the years but in the last few years they have gotten far too greedy. Not only is it very expensive but you pay an even higher cost by having to endure the evening entertainment!!!!

The last time we were there we stayed in the next field and was kept awake until the early hours by drunken karaoke at a ridiculous decibel level. Still, it's in the middle of nowhere where's the harm?

As a result we used the C&CC facilities then the CC facilities at College Farm and saved ourselves about £80!!!

Mr & Mrs Batty - 2012-01-16 5:18 PM

Hi Allen

we live in Gloucester and have not camped at the sites you mention. The one thing we can advise is stay for a day or so after the show and arrive a day or so prior. Each year the local paper runs horror stories on how long people have waited in endless traffic to get in / out - up to 8 hours !!!!!!!

The show is very good though and am sure you will enjoy it.

Regards

Mr B

I think this needs to be put into concept. Getting into and leaving the show is usually very congested (as you'd expect) so I'd advise you arrive on the Friday (or earlier for a better pitch?) and either leave on the Monday or maybe after about 7PM depending on how well the traffic is moving past the field.

Gloucester Centre of the Caravan Club run a rally over 5 days which is situated a few yards North of the airfield perimeter fence. Contacy them through their web site.

Gloucester DA of the CCC use a field ajoining but behind and further away than the one used by the CC Centre. View upwards about the same.

Although a member of both Clubs I have only used the CC site when attending the show. Some of the private sites are very expensive IMHO.

If you want to go book early (now) for the rally. If you want to go into the airfield book your tickets now

on- line. You may want to take earplugs whether on site or on the airfield.

In my opinion you get what you pay for.

We have Not been troubled by noise, exept planes,

We get a very good view of the show,

There is a very good on site shop plus food plus bar and entertainment,

Toilets ect, o/k, look at it this way, some peoples M/Hs cost under£10000, others over £100000,

What is expensive?.

trooper - 2012-01-17 2:02 PM

In my opinion you get what you pay for . . . . . There is a very good on site shop plus food plus bar and entertainment . . . . . look at it this way, some peoples M/Hs cost under £10000, others over £100000,

What is expensive?.

Apart from the last ridiculous statement about the cost of a motorhome (can't see the relevance in that *-) ) let's look at the breakdown.

In 2011 (not sure of 2012 cost yet) Kempsford Camping charged £14 per PERSON per night PLUS a pitch fee of £20. So, for 2 adults for 4 nights that's £132.

The C&CC Glos DA 2012 charge is £14 per UNIT per night. So for 2 adults for 4 nights that's £56.

That's a net saving of £76.

Mind you, there's no bar, food or "entertainment" and you're a bit further away from the perimeter fence. I know which I'd prefer.

We've been to the C&CC site just across the road from the airfield for the past four years and absolutely loved it every time. There's a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere on the site (I think they run it under those temporary holiday rules) and you get a great view (and earful!) of the aircraft as they pass overhead.

You really do need to book now if you want to be sure of getting in. Incidentally, when I say relaxed atmosphere I don't mean it's haphazard in terms of preserving the correct safe distance between units. One other thing to be aware of is that there are only two fresh water taps, and they are very, very slow to fill! Best go with a full tank. Also, the black waste disposal facilities are of the hole in the ground variety.

We've already booked, by the way.

It's simples, if you want a fiesta you buy a fiesta if you want a Kuga you buy a Kuga,all I am saying its not the price it's what one wants, and it's not always the same as you.

I went to see the show and I had one of the best views, plus all was on site for 5days, must be worth a bit extra.

Don't you just love it when someone asks for advice but never thanks anyone for having gone to the trouble of giving it *-)

Despite a slight difference of opinions, which is understandable, there was some good advice given by ALL those who responded. Well done us.

It's a pity the original poster wasn't polite enough to acknowledge same.

It's partly for this reason that I seldom post anything these days.

W2G

Way2Go - 2012-01-22 8:17 AM

Don't you just love it when someone asks for advice but never thanks anyone for having gone to the trouble of giving it *-)

Well done us.

It's a pity the original poster wasn't polite enough to acknowledge same..

W2G

Well W2G, you've managed to get my wifes hackles up, but it usually doesn't take too much for me to do that !!

So we'll let that one go.

I could've thanked the 1st reply, then the 2nd, then the 3rd......maybe I was waiting for the10th, then thanking all ten at once.

But thanks to all the positive replies.

I've given lots of info on here and never courted praise, so I'll leave it at that.

Regards

Allen

I fail to see why your wife takes offence at someone expecting to be thanked for doing something which you asked them to do . . . . but then again I see you're in Lancashire. That might explain it?

You also seem to be unable to tell the difference between gratitude and praise. No one was after praise just a small acknowledgement that we answered your call for help. There were some good detailed suggestions put forward by everyone to help answer your question, but having read the replies you don't seem to have been able to say thanks.

It's a simple little thing called manners.

Don't bother trying to explain it to your wife. She won't understand unless you draw her a picture.

Archived