satnav choice - Snooper Ventura

Domino

Have seen advertisements for Snooper Ventura and it sounds as if it may be useful - allowing me to put vehicle dimensions in, etc. However, I have never bought a SatNav so would appreciate any views from users as to +/- points of various models. I see from an earlier post Garmin and Tom Tom mentioned.

We will be driving to Greece this autumn and Greece was not listed as a country Snooper covered (in the old advert I had kept). Later I like the idea of Turkey and usual European countries so I need to ensure whichever one I buy covers the countries I am interested in.

Other points are :

easy to set up

accurate directions given

useful at difficult junctions eg Milan ring road

how do I keep it up to date

In case anyone is wondering why we want a sat nav now it's because we are changing our van from little Timberland - which fitted everywhere to a Burstner Nexxo - and I don't want to get stuck in any tiny lanes so him beside me can whinge....

Try using the search facility above, Domino. Enter the key word snooper, leave author blank, select Motorhome Matters as the forum to search, and set date limit to one year. You will get about 20 past posts on this, and a number of other, sat navs, with loads of information.

I would buy early, and then spend maximum time working with whatever you choose so that you are well acquainted with it before you try Greece. They need some getting used to to get the best from them. You will need maps as well, because you cannot trust any sat nav to use the roads you might prefer. I would add that there, AFAIK, no sat nav yet made that will not propose a narrow road at times. The mapping does not include road width data, it only includes legal restrictions. So, whatever width vehicle you enter, if a narrow road is not width restricted, it may suggest you use it! Sat navs are great aids, but they are not foolproof.

Hi Domino

I have a Snooper S6000 - great bit of kit. I've just sold my other sat nav because the Snooper has two settings 'car' or 'caravan/motorhome'. This second setting allows you to enter the dimensions of your MH or towing caravan. I've had this for one season and found it to be very easy to use although Snooper offer less POIs than other makes at the moment. It comes loaded with European road maps that include Greece and Turkey. The cost of map updates is a bit eyewatering but a 'lifetime' update is a reasonable proposition. However, no sat nav updates are cheap nowadays. You update via their website and a small app which is downloaded to your PC. Connection to the PC is via a USB cable supplied with the sat nav. One point to remember - you need to set your PC screen resolution to 'small' using your software so that you can see the 'download' button on the app. Other thing to remember is to include your wing mirror widths when inputting your vehicle width.

The best features are the preloaded campsites using the ACSI, Camperstop and Bord Atlas site databases which include the Aires de Service in France and equivalents in other countries. There are even photos of some sites included in the database.

As for France, I haven't updated the map yet but the current system warns you of a 'high risk zone' not an individual camera followed by the maximum speed permitted in the zone. So I'll be interested to see how Snooper have responded to the proposed new French regulations when I get round to updating my map. Having said that I really don't think that les flic are going to spend much time flagging down vehicles they suspect have a sat nav with speed cameras loaded. There are simply too many cars/MHs/lorries with sat navs for them to cope with. More a threat than a reality I think. I've rarely seen french police in our many french trips and when we do they don't give our MH a second look (so far) !

I have got my Snooper fixed not to the window with the suction unit provided but to the dashboard using a Brodit bracket that is easily available online. This lowers the mount and brings it close to hand for easy operation, I've probably only got one inch or so of the unit poking up above the dashboard. So Les flic will be hard pressed to see it at speed.

Recommend you buy one.

I have an S2000 my mate an S7000, great units for motorhomers and very good support should you need it.

If I had a complaint dont think they give as good a warning of turns as say Garmin. ie you get 700 yards and that it, with others you may get a 1st and 2nd warning. Doesnt affect my opinion still brilliant units.

Hi,

I have the snooper 7000 ventura and am really happy with it.

One thing I would bear in mind however if I was buying a satnav now would be to make sure the qualities if the system do not clash with for instance any new laws coming in like the ones stated in France.

By this I mean can you delete [if necessary] the speed camera facility. If something is built in to the operating software you may not want that.

Hope this is clear if not somebody may come on and explain more clearly what I am trying to say.

cheers

derek

Matrix Meanderer - 2012-01-16 9:15 PM

The best features are the preloaded campsites using the ACSI, Camperstop and Bord Atlas site databases which include the Aires de Service in France and equivalents in other countries. There are even photos of some sites included in the database.

One thing to be aware of, when I get my new ACSI book I upload the latest POI file from the ACSI site as it will then match the book with appropriate page numbers etc.

If you dont update the 'pre-loaded' data then next year the book will not match the POI data on the satnav.

If you leave the file alone and take the matching 'old' book you will not have any new sites that have joined ACSI or ones that have left during the year but .if you take the 'new' book, any page references given on the satnav wont be correct so browsing site details will be difficult.

I have had the Snooper Ventura S7000 for almost 2 years and it is the best Sat Nav I have had. It is expensive but comes preloaded with lots of other very useful stuff, it is also a Freeview TV. As for accuracy, it has not yet taken me down an unsuitable road, it alerts well before junctions and gives a count down in either Yards or Metres. I particulary like that when you come off a Motorway junction for example, it will tell you also whether to keep left or right so you are in the right lane for the route direction you are travelling. You get the first map update free of charge, just attach device to computer, log on to Snooper map loader site and let it do what it has to do. I have used this all over the UK and in Europe but not Greece or Turkey, YET ! I would think that Greece is covered as the Snooper comes with preloaded ACSI campsites all over Europe as well as BORD Atlas locations, Caravan Club Sites & CL's (UK) and Camping & Caravanning Club Sites & CS's (UK). There are also lots of other useful POI's (Fuel stations, Supermarkets etc. etc. ) Cannot praise it high enough, does what it says on the box in the way it says on the box :-D

This does not mean that Garmin, Tom Tom are not good as well, just that my investment in the Snooper was a good one !

I''ve got a garman 1490 LT 5" Wideescreen full europe (some countrys main roads only) a bargain at £129 Halfords.you can't set vehicle dimensions but if you check route with atlas you should be okay,its easy to use and has free map updates for life.

Baz :-D not sure if its LT but its the 5" widescreen 1400 series.

No 100% happy with ours, do like the facility to put the size of vehicle in but have found that the Snooper 2000 will go round the houses to get somewhere that you could get to with Atlas a lot easier. Used it in France and used the Aires facility on two occasions it was way out on its destination point.

On ours if the batteries run out, turn the engine off or you knock the power lead the unit will turn off without warning, unlike our other Garmin that will continue working or ask you if you want the power to go off.

The mount they supply is not very good, broke it but give them their due it was replaced quite quickly, user friendly as far as I am concerned it is not.

Updates are about £85 a pop, although the older ones are free, we had to have one of these to make the Sat Coordinates (N & W) work properly, at this stage I will say that the support is very good.

You cannot add other POI’s to the unit they have to be converted by Snooper themselves, there are some available on line, if you want to get some converted you have to send them the original POI’s and they will do this for you, been waiting a year so far, had the holiday and it is not essential now.

I am not sure that it is not me, when I read others comments about how well they get on with theirs. I am not pleased with ours, but I would not buy another one, having the TV ect is not a priority with me.

If you can borrow one try before you buy..

"You get the first map update free of charge, "

I didn't....and the Snooper people confirmed with me by phone that I'd have to pay for ANY updates so I haven't yet bothered. When I attached my S6000 to the PC and looked for an update I was asked for credit card details before I could download map updates.

Another disappointment for me is that there is a very limited facility to find POI's "en route" from one place to another-only a few of the loaded POI's will allow that- unlike the TOMTOM.

Then there's the complications that have to be negotiated to add any Poi's

It was the very nice large screen that attracted me to the Snooper iut on balance I wish I'd stayed with the TomTom variant

I didn't know about the free update until I got onto the site, was looking at the ACSI website and followed a link about POI's which took me to the Snooper map uploader. I had to enter my serial number of the Snooper Unit and came back with a Free update and also the one for £80. The one for £80 updates all the ACSI locations as well whereas the freebie probably just did the road mapping, but that is an assumption on my part.

I have two POI buttons on the Ventura S7000, one is simply POI's the other is User POI's and between them there are loads including TESCO's stores, ASDA etc, Petrol Stations, Car Hire, Bus/Rail stations, Cash Points, Banks etc. etc. etc. etc far too many to list here.

When I wanted to get to a non-ACSI listed campsite I check the sites GPS Co-ordinates and if they don't correspond with the address I just enter the address, never let me down yet.

I wouldn't have thought there should have been much difference with the mapping softwar, however, from reading the comments on here it would appear that Snooper models tend to vary in performance :'(

I only went for the S7000 for the larger screen as I have difficulty with the smaller screens, sure sign of old age (lol)

Hi,

I have a S7000 which is a very good system, especially as you can switch from Motorhome& Car combo to just Car, however, whilst the dimensions of your unit can be entered into the system (height Width & Length), it appears to be only as good as the roadsigns on the road. ie If there is a height restriction then it will warn you, but unless the road has a width restriction as a physical sign that you would see, the unit does not warn you. (Most Larger Motorhomes are approx 2.3m wide most residential streets are twice the width therefore in theory no real restriction, however in reality a potential problem). I have yet to prove this wrong but I have been sent down residential streets with cars parked on both sides of the road which have proven to be very tight especially with the car on the back. I am not sure how it calculates how long you are and how it chooses to tell you that a route is not suitable due to your length let alone your width.

As for the navigation part it is first class and the facilities it has in the unit are very good

Hope this helps

Tony

tonyfletcher - 2012-01-21 9:40 AM

Hi,

I have a S7000 which is a very good system, especially as you can switch from Motorhome& Car combo to just Car, however, whilst the dimensions of your unit can be entered into the system (height Width & Length), it appears to be only as good as the roadsigns on the road. ie If there is a height restriction then it will warn you, but unless the road has a width restriction as a physical sign that you would see, the unit does not warn you. (Most Larger Motorhomes are approx 2.3m wide most residential streets are twice the width therefore in theory no real restriction, however in reality a potential problem). I have yet to prove this wrong but I have been sent down residential streets with cars parked on both sides of the road which have proven to be very tight especially with the car on the back. I am not sure how it calculates how long you are and how it chooses to tell you that a route is not suitable due to your length let alone your width.

As for the navigation part it is first class and the facilities it has in the unit are very good

Hope this helps

Tony

This seems to bear out my understanding above that the underlying mapping carries no information on actual road widths, only on legal width restrictions.

I have also understood that these units get around the unrestricted narrow road problem by prioritising by road category for routing. I'm not clear how this is done, but assume the first priority will be E classified routes (generally the main roads, equivalent to UK A roads), then secondary roads (equivalent to UK B roads), and finally, but only if the destination lies down one, lower category roads.

Some have commented that this results in routing that is rather circuitous, compared to what could be achieved by looking at a decent map and taking the most direct route avoiding roads indicated as narrow.

Could any Snooper owners, or owners of the Garmin units that claim truck friendly routing, please comment on these aspects of using them?

Not sure myself how it all works myself Brian but I can relay this experience. In Bavaria last summer and needed to travel from South West of Munich to a site on the South East. Because of the size of my van (8.7 metres, twin axle, 5 tonnes) when I checked my route on a road map it looked the safest route to be to follow the Autobahn up to Munich, around the lower ring road and then drop down again onto another Autobahn. Fed in the co-ordinates into the Snooper and it took me off the Autobahn and across the Alpine Strasse cross country which actually turned out to be fine. Looking at the road map this route to me looked to twisty and without Sat Nav I would have taken the much longer way to my destination. However, it may concur with what you say as this route was a main road and not a 'c' class road.

All I know is that in 2 years of having the Snooper I have not ended up in a sticky situation. The CC & CCC sites tend to be stuck down narrow lanes and I tend to follow the Sat Nav and again never had a problem. I do also have Auto Route, which of course does not allow for type of vehicle, I have noticed that when pre-planning routes prior to holidays that on occasions the Auto-route and Snooper journeys are via different routes, even if I change the settings so that both methods are identical e.g. Mainly Motorways or Fastest/Shortest etc.

I think at the end of the day there are Units like Garmin and Tom Tom which are all very efficient and cheaper than Snooper and it's personal choice really. Whichever you choose it is still wise to have an up to date road map and use gut instinct when/if unsure. After all, they are only bits of pre-loaded technology :-D

Sounds a good choice! I think all the systems apply differing logics to route selection, so rarely coincide. Just tried Landau to Berchtesgarten, which seem to the the end points of the Alpenstrasse, in AutoRoute and MapSource. Both go via Munich, one onto the inner ring to pass the centre to the south, the other taking the outer autobahn ring to the north. Whatever preference I select in AutoRoute it sticks to the same route, but if I tweak MapSource I can get it to take a more direct route via Kempten and Kufstein. However, I think the Alpenstrasse dips into Austria through Reutte, so neither took that option.

Thanks for the info. I'm just interested, because of my understanding re the map data.

It will be interesting to see how it copes in France on my two trips this year. Many of the sites I have chosen are outside towns and so looking on Autoroute, it takes me through the centre of the towns to get to the sites. Snooper on the other hand takes me around the towns to get to the same end point. Interestingly enough, the entrance to the site just outside Salat-La-Caneda is on a steep right hand curve (if you follow the Auto Route option), Snoopers route will mean that as I will be entering from the opposite direction turning into the site is not a problem !! The proof of the pudding as they say.........?

tonyfletcher - 2012-01-21 10:40 AM

Hi,

I have a S7000 which is a very good system, especially as you can switch from Motorhome& Car combo to just Car, however, whilst the dimensions of your unit can be entered into the system (height Width & Length),

Tony

Out of interest can you program in different vehicles - ie our van, and then have a 2nd option for the car/bike and swap between the two without having to reprogram dimensions? We have a Tomtom and I wouldn't be without a Sat Nav, but if it died on us then I have considered the Snooper.

Sparkle - 2012-01-23 11:19 AM

tonyfletcher - 2012-01-21 10:40 AM

Hi,

I have a S7000 which is a very good system, especially as you can switch from Motorhome& Car combo to just Car, however, whilst the dimensions of your unit can be entered into the system (height Width & Length),

Tony

Out of interest can you program in different vehicles - ie our van, and then have a 2nd option for the car/bike and swap between the two without having to reprogram dimensions? We have a Tomtom and I wouldn't be without a Sat Nav, but if it died on us then I have considered the Snooper.

The simple answer is No, but you can edit the details in seconds, so as long as you know the dimensions it would not take too long to change manually from one vehicle to another.

I refer to previous offering re the BRODIT bracket and the Snooper Ventura (S7000). May I ask what make your base veh is and where the gps is fitted?

I purchased a Brodit bracket for my new mhome ( Fiat Ducato Maxi) and the S7000, to fit the passenger side air vent on the dash, but the whole lot fell off!

The new Fiats have embellishers on the air vents but Brodit and their agents in the UK have not taken notice of this hence the "anchoring leg" on the Brodit bracket is too short ! The response from Brodit and their agents in the UK :TOUGH!!

I wonder has anybody come across this prob and how have they resolved it?

I have used various Garmins for years hence I am familiar with their method of operation but I must say the S7000 has been excellent for the mhome. Unfortunately updating the Garmin is much simplier and cheaper!

We are also in the market for a sat-nav which is programable for unit dimensions and so far the Snooper looks the best option. Two points arise from reading the above.

Snooper does not work with a Mac, according to Snooper.

Updated maps are available on SD card as well as down load; I assume that all the info is up dated at the same time rather than just the road maps.

I use Windows 7 with the Ventura so can't comment re Mac. A word of caution: the Ventura is not a panacea,ie always look at a decent map and if the road doesn't "look right" don't go there. To my cost I have learnt that the material , as already highlighted, upon which the Ventura (S7000 in my case) issues directions(in some cases) does not seem to take account of the mhome's size!

I have always used downloads for the Ventura maps - once a year ,I think. The info re speed cameras can be downloaded as and when you desire by means of an app. The staff are very helpful and will "talk you through" any issues re downloads.

As far as I'm concerned the real advantage of the S7000 is its size ( big screen) because the system re a route which equates to the size of your mhome is far prom perfect.

8-)

Archived