Corfu, Kefallonia and where to book ferry

Domino

We are planning to meet my sister and family in Greece in September. They will be sailing around the Ionion Islands and may go to Corfu or Kefallonia as well as the coast along Parga on the main land. We were in Greece a couple of years, so know enough about that but it is many, many years since we travelled the islands and backpacking was different to driving a motorhome, so..

Can anyone provide any information as to

are these islands much more crowded than the coastal mainland of Greece

the cost of a ferry to Kefallonia and

what are the roads and parking and sites like.

Is wild camping the same as on mainland?

Also the same questions for Corfu - any campsites recommended? I know we can get off the ferry at Corfu, rather than go to Igoumenitsa or wherever it was last time, so the ferry question for Corfu does not arise.

If island hopping is not such a good idea we'll meet them on the mainland and then potter towards Macedonia.

Finally, is there any advantage to booking ferry crossings with the Caravan Club? Last year we just did ferry crossing to Calais, using Airmiles, and then drove various places, but this time we'd want more than one ferry, including the camping option with Minoan.

Domino - 2012-01-16 5:43 PM.........................If island hopping is not such a good idea we'll meet them on the mainland and then potter towards Macedonia................................

Not sure quite which bit you are referring to, but presumably Greek Macedonia, and not FYROM (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia)? However, just in case it may be the latter, check FCO warnings, and I think you'll find insurance is all but impossible.

Have you plans in case Greece defaults on its loans, and leaves the Euro? If this happens you may have problems either when there, or with pre-booked crossings etc. In view of the publicity being given to the possibility, it might be worth exploring what attitude insurance companies would take were you to claim for any consequent losses.

Thanks for the infor Brian. I think i mean the Greek bit of Macedonia - we were about a mile from the border (saw all the signs) last time we were in Greece, but we had our dog with us so did not risk it.

Can you say a bit more about insurance, do you mean our annual trip insurance, vehicle or what. Greece, according to the holiday press, is one growth area, even with the euro crisis and next years bookings are supposedly up. Also I presumje ferries will still run... not really sure how it would affect us. Also, as my sister has already booked the cat. with Sunsail they all seem OK.

Just interested if you can provide any more detail.

Domino - 2012-01-17 10:56 AM

Thanks for the infor Brian. I think i mean the Greek bit of Macedonia - we were about a mile from the border (saw all the signs) last time we were in Greece, but we had our dog with us so did not risk it.

Can you say a bit more about insurance, do you mean our annual trip insurance, vehicle or what. Greece, according to the holiday press, is one growth area, even with the euro crisis and next years bookings are supposedly up. Also I presumje ferries will still run... not really sure how it would affect us. Also, as my sister has already booked the cat. with Sunsail they all seem OK.

Just interested if you can provide any more detail.

Re insurance, my comment related to FYROM only, you should not have any problems with Greece itself. If you were considering entering FYROM, with your van or not, then check with all insurers beforehand. I'm pretty certain you will not get vehicle insurance on any basis from a UK insurer, and may only be able to get whatever is on sale at the border. I assume that would be written in Macedonian so, unless you are fluent it will be pretty much impossible to tell what, actually, is covered. I would also check what attitude holiday insurers might take to losses due to Greece leaving the Euro. The probability has been widely forecast, so insurers may take the view that your losses are not fully covered, on the basis that they only insure risk, not certainty, or they may demand a higher premium for those intending to travel to Greece.

The holiday press is, I think, putting on a brave face! They want you to go, and are unlikely to tell you anything that might put you off. The simple truth is that no-one can say with certainty what might happen. Most economic commentators seem to think the chances of Greece leaving the Euro are increasing. No-one can say what the consequences might be if it does. It would therefore, IMO, be wise to consider the possible scenarios in terms of Greece leaving before you go, and Greece leaving while you are there.

I assume pre-paid tickets would be honoured, but I guess surcharges might be levied. Whether ferries would run would depend on whether their crews go on strike, which would be likely to depend on whether they are still getting paid.

Credit cards may become unusable for a time, because until a new currency is in place, exchange rates cannot be calculated. The same would apply to all forms of currency exchange. If this happens it is liable to cause great uncertainty and chaos, which is why no-one can predict its effects.

If you arrive with Euros and the Greeks have just re-introduced Drachmas you may, or may not, be able to get Drachmas for your Euros. If you don't have pre-purchased Euros you will be needing Drachmas for Sterling. In both cases the banks will besieged by Greeks trying to get Drachmas for their Euros, so long queues and big delays. Bear in mind also that if Greece leaves the Euro, it will involve at least some defaults on their debts by Greek banks. Some will be liable to fail, many will be forced to close to prevent runs. That is what I mean by chaos.

I have to say, with apologies, that I think your comment that you are "not really sure how it would affect us" implies not having given it much thought. All I am saying in reply is think, and think hard! :-) It's you who are planning to go, we were in Greece in 2010 and I'm not at all sure I'd consider going this year of all years. Even when it is working relatively normally, it is a somewhat chaotic country. That may mean it just rides the chaos of leaving the Euro without descending into greater chaos, but I wouldn't want to bet on it! :-D

Cash machines will likely be empty, because the new currency will be unlikely to be available in sufficient quantity, and the machines may well need re-calibrating to handle it. Greece has for years operated a cash economy, which is part of its problem. The problem with that is that when the cash changes, everyone needs the new stuff, and that will be in short supply.

The new currency will be liable to fall in value like a brick when it is first introduced, which will mean you should get more for your money, but will also mean that imports, most notably fuel, will go up in price for Greeks. Greece imports a lot, exports mainly tourism, and produces little. That is not a good recipe for what happens next. I'm not trying to scare you off but, again with apologies, I am trying to persuade you to do some real thinking. Sorry! :-)

Archived