Lidl - car battery charger on offer Thursday 19th Jan

Mel B

Very similar to the CTek type of chargers:

Description

Electronically controlled, fully automatic charging with LED indicator

Choose from continuous charging function or trickle charging with thermal overload and reverse polarity protection

Charging cable with insulated clips

Suitable for most 6V and 12V car or motorcycle batteries with a 1.2- 120Ah capacity

4 variable charging rates, max. (A): 3.8

Operating voltage: 220-240V~ 50/60Hz

Recovery mode helps to prevent sulphation

Size (cm): 19.5 x 6.7 x 4.4

Cable length (m): 1.9

3 year manufacturer’s warranty

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_27894.htm

I have a couple of these and they work well. I also had a similar Ctek but I managed to destroy:- that: my fault ..... the Ctek was about £50 I think.

If the power goes off while charging, the Ctek will return to it's set charging mode when powere is restored. The Lidl one doesn't; it reverts to standby mode. Other than that .............

Harvey

Harvey - 2012-01-16 10:17 PM

If the power goes off while charging, the Ctek will return to it's set charging mode when powere is restored. The Lidl one doesn't; it reverts to standby mode. Other than that .............

Harvey

I've also got one of these, and confirm what Harvey says.

Also....if your battery is extremely discharged, down to about 8 volts, the charger will not operate. This has happened to me with a motorbike battery, I had to start charging using an old (constant charge mode) charger, then change over to the Lidl one.

I've just un-plugged mine as it has recharged my scooter battery over the last two days, reading 13.85 volts at the mo.

Allen

Slightly off topic...but as I won't be able to get up there until the weekend,can I just ask something..?

...On the Lidl website,when I select my "local" store..and it then brings up the item..but does that necessarily mean it's in stock?(at "my" store?)...also there's an "add to your shoping list" tab,does this "reserve the item?... :-S

Sorry,probably daft questions...but never used the site before... :-S

No, it does not mean that it is 'in stock' but that it is one of the items that is in 'while stocks last'. Lidl 'specials' usually go from Thursday to the next Wednesday. Whether they have any when you get there depends how many thsy got in, and how many they have sold ............. also sometimes one or some of their 'special' items don't turn up on the Thursday or sometimes not at all.

That all sounds negative but my experience is that things like the battery chargers are usually stocked in fairly large numbers and usually stay in stock for at least most of the week ...... it is the things that are sized like shoes etc that you need to get in on Thursday to get ...........

( been to my local Lidl early this afternoon and they had a rack of about 30 or 40 of them and a couple had gone. )

No, you can't 'reserve' items. Putting items in your shopping list is just for your own use.

hth

Harvey

pepe63 - 2012-01-19 4:07 PM

Thanks for that Harvey..

..it's just that in the past,when there's been items like these "flagged up" before,we've gone in and the staff have had no idea what we've been on about... (lol)

We'll have a look Saturday morning ..fingers crossed..

Thanks again..

I went to the Oxford Store this moring & the bin was full with chargers - probably not a fast moving item therefore ... or?

I got one this morning at my local store, only had 3 left after I took mine.

I've seen on Ebay today, the same chargers brand new, one on auction starting at £9.99 + £3.99 p&p and also another chap selling 6 of them, presumably bought this morning, at £29.95 each buy-it-now. Some would call that profiteering, some would say he shows initiative (if he can sell them at that price), wonder how many gullible people will buy. They have the Lidl name in the instructions regarding repairs so it obvious where they come from.

Just to clarify:--- I believe that these 'special offer' items are not necessarily offered at all stores nationwide at the same time, so when you see an item flagged up on a forum, looking at your local store / stores on the Lidl website will let you check if it applies there.

Harvey

paulmold - 2012-01-19 5:46 PM

I got one this morning at my local store, only had 3 left after I took mine.

I've seen on Ebay today, the same chargers brand new, one on auction starting at £9.99 + £3.99 p&p and also another chap selling 6 of them, presumably bought this morning, at £29.95 each buy-it-now. Some would call that profiteering, some would say he shows initiative (if he can sell them at that price), wonder how many gullible people will buy. They have the Lidl name in the instructions regarding repairs so it obvious where they come from.

This happens often. Last autumn they had offers on cycling jackets. The shopper in front of me bought about 10 jackets. No doubt heading for ebay.

Just goes to show that ebay stuff is not always a bargain.

AliB - 2012-01-20 11:54 AM

This happens often. Last autumn they had offers on cycling jackets. The shopper in front of me bought about 10 jackets. No doubt heading for ebay.

Be fare often Lidl and Aldi use there offer items to attract customers and they sell them at or below cost.

I have brought fire extinguishers from them at £4.99 compared to buying the same brand trade direct from the importer at £9.00 the importer can not even buy them at the price Lidl were selling at.

lennyhb - 2012-01-20 2:40 PM

AliB - 2012-01-20 11:54 AM

Be fare often Lidl and Aldi use there offer items to attract customers and they sell them at or below cost.

I have brought fire extinguishers from them at £4.99 compared to buying the same brand trade direct from the importer at £9.00 the importer can not even buy them at the price Lidl were selling at.

No complaint about Lidl/Aldi offers. They are superb bargains. I think the stores should stop people buying multiple lots.

I bought some of their LED GU10 bulbs for the house, they were just £6.50 each, I replaced all the halogen bulbs in the recessed ceiling lights which were blowing at the rate of one every 2 or 3 weeks, tripping the fuse box annoyingly often. I also replaced the GU10 in the back of the van, which got too hot on the back of my neck. Great value, reliable too.

I have an Aldi battery charger hard wired to the LB, you can leave it permanently on while on site. As regards using one on a flat battery, if you leave it on for a (long) while, I think you'll find that it will eventually start charging. Again, amazing value

Since it is "intelligent", I wonder if you can use it on the main starter battery without disconnecting the leads on modern vans, where the handbook advises you to do so. Does anyone know?

Brambles - 2012-01-21 11:36 PM

"Since it is "intelligent", I wonder if you can use it on the main starter battery without disconnecting the leads on modern vans, where the handbook advises you to do so. Does anyone know? "

Yes you can.

Do you think I could replace the crocodile clips with a cigar lighter plug and charge starter battery through there (cigar lighter socket is permanently live)?

Brambles - 2012-01-21 11:36 PM

"Since it is "intelligent", I wonder if you can use it on the main starter battery without disconnecting the leads on modern vans, where the handbook advises you to do so. Does anyone know? "

Yes you can.

Brambles - I have strikeback alarm fitted, so can I charge the motor battery with one of these chargers without disconnecting the Earth lead?

I would probably have turn the alarm off anyway - not a problem as I have a removable steering wheel, so security is not a problem.

Thanks

paulmold - 2012-01-22 9:01 AM

Do you think I could replace the crocodile clips with a cigar lighter plug and charge starter battery through there (cigar lighter socket is permanently live)?

Yes, that is how I used my Ctek. That had a plug on the end of the lead and you could get different 'end flyleads' to connect to it, one of which had a lighter plug on it.

I also use a small solar charger on my old van in the same way.

Harvey

Harvey - 2012-01-22 10:00 AM

Yes, that is how I used my Ctek. That had a plug on the end of the lead and you could get different 'end flyleads' to connect to it, one of which had a lighter plug on it.

Harvey

Thanks for that. I know I will lose the warrantee by cutting off the clips and putting on the cigar plug but it is so much more convenient to do it that way. Pity it doesn't come with plug for different flyleads.

If you were to leave an alarm enabled which also has voltage drop sensing, then there is a small possibility it could detect the charger switching off or on the bulk charge phase, but once battery was charged and in trickle charge mode it is unlikely. I cannot speak for the strikeback alarm specifically as know very little about it except its basic functions.

Try it and see.

paulmold - 2012-01-22 10:06 AM

Harvey

Thanks for that. I know I will lose the warrantee by cutting off the clips and putting on the cigar plug but it is so much more convenient to do it that way. Pity it doesn't come with plug for different flyleads.

Don't cut the crocodile clips off !!! - on mine the lead is connected to the croc clips by small screws to an eyelet on the lead. You could connect this to a cigar lighter type plug.

laimeduck - 2012-01-22 1:34 PM

Harvey

Don't cut the crocodile clips off !!! - on mine the lead is connected to the croc clips by small screws to an eyelet on the lead. You could connect this to a cigar lighter type plug.

Mine are connected to the crocs by eyelets like yours, but how would I connect to cigar plug using those?

paulmold - 2012-01-22 3:26 PM

laimeduck - 2012-01-22 1:34 PM

Harvey

Mine are connected to the crocs by eyelets like yours, but how would I connect to cigar plug using those?

Sorry Paul........ you've asked for it - Screw it! :D :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EASY-FIT-SOLDERLESS-CAR-TRUCK-CIG-CIGAR-LIGHTER-PLUG-/350472198351?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item5199c558cf

Archived