Caxton fx cards

tugga

Going off to France for a month and was wondering whether to get one of these to load with money before we go. Has anyone used them and are they bona fide? So many banks/companies going bust I am wondering whether this is a safe bet for my money.

I have checked the search section for related topics but nothing came up.

Hello Cheryl,

You might want to take a look at the Money Saving Expert website for advice on taking money across the water. Caxton comes second in their list of pre-loaded cards.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#prepaid

They say the cheapest way can be the right credit card. If you go to the top of the above page you get the pros and cons of various methods of spending abroard.

Regards,

Carl

tugga - 2012-01-17 9:41 AM

Going off to France for a month and was wondering whether to get one of these to load with money before we go. Has anyone used them and are they bona fide? So many banks/companies going bust I am wondering whether this is a safe bet for my money.

SEARCHing the forums using Keywords = Caxton SHOULD retrieve a good deal of earlier stuff. (Did you make sure to select "All posts" from the Date limit options?)

There's also a thread ("euro cash cards") started up today on the Hints & Tips forum that looks like it may overlap your inquiry.

Because none of these pre-loaded cards (that I know of) have any protection I use them simply for cash.

When I want cash a single text transfers cash from my bank to the card and I withdraw it the next day. That way I get the benefit of the good rates they offer with minimal risk.

As I said I only use it to obtaining cash, when possible I use a PO credit card with a direct debit set up for 100% payment.

Both cards give good rates and no fees abroad they are always better than the tourist rates available at most outlets.

Works very well for me

I have a Fairfx card in euros which I load with a smallish amount. I tend to use it when I wish to book something in euros such as a site deposit. Also if I wish to buy somehting where the only way is a bleeding machine. I then know what i have paid and the site, or anyone else does not know about any credit cards where I may have a large credit limit. It is also as a back up if other things do not work.

terryW - 2012-01-17 4:06 PM

Because none of these pre-loaded cards (that I know of) have any protection I use them simply for cash.

When I want cash a single text transfers cash from my bank to the card and I withdraw it the next day. That way I get the benefit of the good rates they offer with minimal risk.

A text? How do you make it transfer funds? Sounds interesting and usful! :-S

Derek Uzzell - 2012-01-17 3:52 PM

tugga - 2012-01-17 9:41 AM

SEARCHing the forums using Keywords = Caxton SHOULD retrieve a good deal of earlier stuff. (Did you make sure to select "All posts" from the Date limit options?)

There's also a thread ("euro cash cards") started up today on the Hints & Tips forum that looks like it may overlap your inquiry.

Thanks for your advice on the search Derek but I dont recognise your instructions. When I use the search button at the top and type 'Caxton', this is what I get back:-

Sorry we couldn't find anything listed with these details. Please recheck your spelling and try again.

SearchKeywords

Channels Motorhomes

Caravans Camping

Lodge & Holiday Homes

Sections Classifieds

Contacts

Events

Exhibitions

Features

Issues

Magazines News

Parks

Products

Reviews

Buyers Guide

Business Directory

Search Type All wordsExact phraseAny word

I am obviously doing something very wrong!

tugga - 2012-01-17 8:48 PM

.....................Thanks for your advice on the search Derek but I dont recognise your instructions. When I use the search button at the top and type 'Caxton', this is what I get back:-

Sorry we couldn't find anything listed with these details. Please recheck your spelling and try again.

Wrong box! :-D

Use the Search button just below where it says Welcome, Tugga, (opens a search window) and then try Derek's advice. You should get loads.

Guest JudgeMental
We for now, have still been using our Nationwide cards..How do the nationwide compare with these pre payment cards? I always thought as the nationwide pays the prevailing VISA exchange rate it was an easier and more straightforward way of obtaining €

We use them and have been very pleased with the service.  I have a second current account and transfer enough funds into this before we leave; this is the one that I link to the Euro card.  As stated above, just send a text to transfer monies from your linked account onto the card.  You can then use the card to pay as any pre-paid card or to withdraw cash from the 'hole in the wall'.  They give an excellent exchange rate and you only need to transfer money as necessary certainly better than taking wads of cash!

Mel B - 2012-01-17 8:37 PM

terryW - 2012-01-17 4:06 PM

A text? How do you make it transfer funds? Sounds interesting and usful! :-S

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

The way it works is you provide bank details when you take the card out, you must then make the first transfer online, I assume that is to confirm everything or a security step not sure but after that you simply text a given number with certain words and the value you want transferred and and that's it. Another text can be sent at anytime to request the current balance. As simple as that, and no bank details are contained in the text.

Yes, we used our Caxtonfx card in both Barcelona and various parts of France last year with no problems and no hidden charges. It is particularly easy to use in France as we use the ATMs in their post off ices which can be found in all towns and a lot of villages. One just has to check the rate that Caxton are giving on a regular basis to get the best exchange rate available before you go.

Happy travelling.

Marilyn

The card is excellent. I tend to load the card when rates are high. Last year I loaded the card at 1.18 euros to the pound and when I went on holidays the rate was around 1.10 so that's a decent saving in itself and better than savings interest rates. Your money is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme but that's a risk I'm prepared to take.

You can use your card virtually everywhere except for autoroute tolls. There are no ATM fees.

Guest JudgeMental
Mike88 - 2012-01-18 10:44 PM

The card is excellent. I tend to load the card when rates are high. Last year I loaded the card at 1.18 euros to the pound and when I went on holidays the rate was around 1.10 so that's a decent saving in itself and better than savings interest rates. Your money is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme but that's a risk I'm prepared to take.

You can use your card virtually everywhere except for autoroute tolls. There are no ATM fees.

so when you put your £'s on the card (load it) that is when exchange rate is set? so you are virtually exchanging your money at that point?

then no charges at all for withdrawel?

JudgeMental - 2012-01-19 11:21 AM

Mike88 - 2012-01-18 10:44 PM

so when you put your £'s on the card (load it) that is when exchange rate is set? so you are virtually exchanging your money at that point?

then no charges at all for withdrawel?

Precisely.

Used CaxtonFX Card last year for a month in France it was excellent. Load it by text. Check balance by text and all you can lose is the money that is loaded on the card. So if you are concerned about losing it or Caxton going bust just load it in small amounts, it does not cost anymore. It is Pin protected and is run by the Newcastle Building Society which in theory can not go bust.

Be careful if you go for another card that they don't charge a set up fee, (Caxton do but refund it when you you load it the first time) and some cards charge a fee at ATMs which Caxton don't;

I think the only card that has a better exchange Rate is FairFX but I dont know what charges they apply.

Go for Caxton I am sure you wont regret it.

The only thing I regret is I still have 250 Euros on it which are worth less now than they where, due to the exchange rate but you cant have it all ways, can you.

Have used Caxton Euro cards and Caxton US dollar cards. No problem in France or Spain (only Euro countries we used them in) but for anyone thinking of using the US dollar one much less universally accepted, some store systems did not recognise them and some US banks charged to withdraw.

I was doing some research around these type of cards some time ago, mainly with future Fulltiming needs in mind. The Caxton Card (at that time, havn't checked recently) allowed each card holder to have a maximum amount of £7,500 on them at any one time (Equivalent in Euro's). That would mean that we could get one card each and therefore have access to £15,000. Having two separate cards also meant that if one got lost/stolen we would not be totally stuck without funds and the ability to top up via Email/Text is a bonus. I think I am right in saying that the cards are valid for 2 years at a time *-)

Big Momma - 2012-01-22 12:05 PM

I think I am right in saying that the cards are valid for 2 years at a time *-)

2 if not 3 years. I also think (would need to check) that like credit card a new one is automatically issued before the expiry date of the old one and any money left rolls over on to the new card.

Just checked it out, Card valid for 3 years but they do not automatically renew. One month before expiry they send an Email to tell you that your card is due to expire, if you want a new one you then have to request it. Also noted that the Euro card can be loaded with a maximum of €7,500 at any one time, however, you can load card twice a day ! So in essence, if self and OH both had cards we could at any one time have access to €30,000. Not that we would load to that degree but seems logical way to go if spending a lot of time in Europe

The instructions for sending 'LOAD' and 'BALANCE' texts is straightforward enough, Also notice that the Caxton € rate today is at €1.1730.

I have had fors several years a Cater Allen account, in Euros (also have one in US $). They were part of Abbey National, now I assume swallowed up in Santander Bank. But UK based, and therefore I am sure covered by FSA. I transfer money to this simply by sending a sterling cheque which they then convert to Europs. Today rate shows 1.193445. There are no charges for withdrawls at ATMs in Euroland, nor for use in Supermarkets/ fuels stations etc. Only downside as yet they do not appear to work in 24/.7 fuel stations (in France anyway!).

In terms of customer ervice they are tops, the phone is always answered immediately, and the person answering can always deal with the enquiry whatever that is - wish other call centres were as good!

Archived