Caxton fx cards

tugga

I think I have found another reason to use the Caxton card. As someone said in a previous thread if you pay for euros with a debit card then a charge is applied by Visa/ Mastercard and the bank passes these charges on to you. (£4.50 on £500 of Euros). Having had to suffer this when getting cash online from the Post Office it occurred to me that in future I won't bother buying a bundle of cash prior to departure I can avoid these charges by transferring the cash I want onto the card and draw it out as soon as I dock or even on-board ship. Up to now I have always taken some cash with me to start the journey. It's not the £4.50 that bothers me but the principle, If i purchased the washing machine that charge would not be passed on to me.

I would add that after a 'blast' and a threat to move all my business Natwest refunded the £4.50.

Thanks everyone, I have decided that I will take out one of these cards and will just text to transfer funds as and when I need them so that I don't get too much left on the card. I will also take a small amount of cash with me too.

Thank you all for your comments, they were very helpful.

I have travelled to Europe over the last 3 years during the Summer and Winter months, so some 6 times journeys. I always pre load a Fair FX Euro card and use it for petrol and purchases in shops. I believe I get a good rate, more so if I load it over £500 pounds worth then the transaction is free. You can always top up with your notebook outside a cafe?! if need be!!!

Caxton do not charge per transaction no matter what the amount loaded is and they also refund the £10 application fee on first load I can not recomend it enough. It is operated through the Newcastle building Society which I think is pretty safe financially. I hope so they own half my house!

terryW - 2012-02-22 5:39 PM

...if you pay for euros with a debit card then a charge is applied by Visa/ Mastercard and the bank passes these charges on to you. (£4.50 on £500 of Euros)...

There are currently a couple of exceptions to that 'rule'.

The "Which?" website has lots of information on use of credit/debit cards abroad, pre-paid cards, etc.

Visit

http://www.which.co.uk/

and type "travel money" (omitting the quotes) in the SEARCH box at the top of the Which? webpage.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I now have my card and the £10 fee was credited in Euro's when I registered it. I tried to load it the other day only to discover that the minimum you can load is 150 Euros!

Hope this info helps anyone else thinking of getting one.

Card arrived today and I've now 'activated' it and got my pin number. I have been watching the loading rate over the past few days - it was 1.170 euros, then 1.174, then 1.172 ... but today it's 1.183! :-> I've just put 300 euros on it ... :D

Cliffy - 2012-04-10 10:15 PM

Caxtons are giving 1.184 Euros to the pound now.

Shall I hang on or load it now??????

Who knows??????

Guess the answer is,almost no-one, apart form the market makers!!!!

I did check what Cater Allen wouild give me, and todays rate was quoting 1.200573 - which is the top end of what I have seen for a while. I suppose the only saving factor is that it's higher than last year at this time, but in reality unless you are changing huge amounts, the end resultis realtively small in real,value.However, as the well know saying goes 'every little helps'.....

Hi,

I think the differences made or lost on the loading of money on these cards according to the varying exchange rates is minimal, unless of course mega amounts are being exchanged. These cards as I see it are more about convenience and safety. Convenient as you can only spend what you have and safe as you are not carrying lots of cash in your van. We use the card supplied through ASDA as the opening times suit and you can cash your money back. Pays your money and takes your choice.

cheers

derek

Well, I have just applied for a Caxton FX card, the terms are quite clear, the operating company are not covered by the FSA although the deposits are held in a holding account with a building society you could lose your money if they go bankrupt. Since I am not going to put my life savings on to the card I am not bothered about this.

H

Archived