New Euro 5 Diesel Engines and DPF

Guest Tracker

pelmetman - 2012-01-23 5:07 PM...........................I think its worth pointing out that as this thread shows the Euro 5 and DPF problems may well be the next "Juddergate".................So maybe buying 2nd hand would be even more of a sensible decision ;-)

Agreed. For now, it may be that the wisest course is to wait for a while before buying, or to buy nothing newer than Euro4. Given time, and some inexcusable "customer-led research", the problems will be solved, or the need for a DPF averted by smarter developments in other areas.

I expect folk moaned about synchromesh when it was introduced, doubtless that it destroyed reliability, and the driver's ability to correctly match engine speed to road speed for the gear selected, thereby causing excessive clutch wear.

I'm generally in favour of innovation, it has got us where we are, which is amazingly reliable vehicles that cover huge distances, with minimal intermediate maintenance, on very small amounts of fuel, and spread far less pollution while doing so.

What I'm not in favour of is manufacturers slipping unannounced new, and relatively untried, innovations onto the market (as they do!), and leaving the customer not only facing the inconvenience of repair if it goes wrong, but also being landed with the cost when it does.

If a vehicle is being subjected to extended, customer-led, running tests, then tell the customer that is the case, give them the option of opting in or out, and fix all faults free until the innovation is de-bugged. I think we could probably all live with that. But just keeping quiet about it, blaming the customer for the inevitable failures, and then making them pay for the repairs is, IMO, completely unreasonable.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Yep been there Brian ;-)..........got the scars which is why Mr Ford will never see me again and I will slag off their customer service at any opportunity ;-)........having been one of the mugs they experimented with their semi auto gearbox on 8-)..................a new clutch at 30,000 miles >:-(..........I'd never gone less than 100,000 miles in a new vehicle before *-)

Very good points raised there.

There are hundreds if not thousands of used vehicles out there as we speak and they are a relative bargain. If you buy one of those you will not only potentially save a lot of money but will help to 'firm up' the value of all second hand vehicles (which is always dictated by demand).

If you don't buy new then the manufacturers will have to sharpen up their act, reduce prices and change thier technology to something more trustworthy. Everyone would benefit from being a bit more financially savvy right now, and I don't doubt that the dealers will be pleased to see you.

Whatever layout you want or need, there is bound to be something, somewhere that fits the bill.

Nick

Archived