HD Freeview Digibox

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

I bought one of these instore yesterday to enable us to get Freeview HD on our HD ready TV and at £29.99 for a box that did very well against much more expensive opposition when it was priced at £69.99 it's hard to beat and comes with an easy to use remote control and a really good picture.

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Freeview-freesat-Boxes/buy-GOODMANS-GDB300HD-Freeview-freesat-Boxe/611670

Just need to sort out a sound system upgrade now and finding a surround sound setup with a remote control so you can shut off the adverts is proving difficult as they all seem to operate from the headphone socket which is not controlled by the TV remote control?

Any thoughts anyone please as I don't fully undestand what all the sockets and gizmos on the back of the TV are for?

Any system which only takes sound from the headphone socket will not give you surround sound - only stereo.

I notice that the unit you bought has an optical out so what you need is a sound system with an optical in and then you would connect from the HD box via an optical cable to the sound system and all the adjustments to the sound would be via the remote for the sound system - leave the volume on the tv turned all the way down.

So any system which says it has optical or Optical SPDIF (Sony Phillips Digital Interconnect Format) should do the trick for you. I won't give any product names as there are many out there and it will depend largely on your budget which can be anything from £50 to many thousands.

Guest Tracker

Thanks for that Bernie and I appreciate your help.

I should have said that I am not really looking for surround sound because I have hearing that, whilst diminished in it's sensitivity and ability to hear clearly, is overly sensitive to heavy bass so what we really need is clearer sound in the mid ranges rather than enhanced bass or treble.

Perhaps a decent pair of stereo speakers driven from the TV would do the trick so that when the Freesat box is in use (when Freeview has a poor signal which is far too often) or we are watching a DVD or something prerecorded they will hopefully still work and mute via the TV remote - always assuming the TV remote will mute the TV's RCA or Optical digital sound outputs?

The TV handbook is written in gobbledegook and does not tell me so all I have to do in theory is find some speakers that connect - or is it - or do I need an amplifier too - and will I need a remote control in case the TV remote wont alter the volume or mute it?

Confused - I sure am!!

I doubt the phono outputs will drive a pair of speakers without an amp. A way around this would be active speakers but as you say they are mostly for headphone sockets, but maybe you could use a phono to 3.5mm socket lead, more spagetti though, and maybe still wont alter with volume control.

Hi Rich.

I have a similar problem to you. After many years working as a sound engineer in theatres. Always wearing headphones at, necessarily, a louder volume than the ambient sounds my hearing has suffered and I now have tinitus and have lost the ability to hear frequencies in the upper mid range. That means many female voices have gone :D .

Unfortunately these days most amplifier manufacturers think that they give the best sound and don't allow much tweaking to achieve a good balance for those with frequency loss. Most only give a set of pre set EQs - Rock, Classical, Jazz etc. These only add to the problem as in the main they are just a set of different echos / reverb to give an effect of a particular room.

What you need is a system which gives the best chance to hear all of the original sound. As the sound from your new HD box is in a digital format It is best t to amplify that before it is turned into an analogue format by your tv. That is why it is best, if you can, to use the SPDIF out of the HD box and get an amp and speakers which allow you to set the EQ to your own tastes. The problem is that most equipment which allows you to do that, rather than the kit setting itself to your particular room ambience, comes with a hefty price tag. An example is a friend of mine who has even worse hearing problems than me - He ended up spending £3.5k on a Bose system - It is bloomin good though.

Guest Tracker

Thanks again Bernie. I don't feel inclined to lash out £3.5k and would wince at £350.

I hear what you say but if I take the digital sound from the HD box it will only work when the HD box is working.

So when we use Freesat or 'ordinary' Freeview, or a DVD, or a recorded programme it won't work which kinda defeats the object and for us that may well be the deciding factor.

Surely as the TV also has an optical digital output that should work with whatever box is being used to provide the TV picture and sound - or have I missed something?

Hi Rich

As the tv has an optical out and you also appear to have other sources (DVD, Freesat) you could use an external amp - most of which have a variety of inputs so would take all your kit.

If the tv has also an optical in it would be possible to attach your HD box but many sets do not have the capability to "pass through" so that the sound would not go from your HD box to the tv and then to an amp. You would need to check the tv specs.

Your other problem is that for £350 you would be limited as to the quality of the amp and speakers available. To give good sound 1st the original sound has to be good - You can use the best amp and speakers in the world but if the original sound is bad all they will do is amplify the crap. After that as long as the amp doesn't have any major faults you rely on the speakers to be able to interpret the sounds and for that, usually, size and quality matter.

Guest Tracker

Thanks for your valued input Dave!

It's not so much the spending of the cash that is the problem but it is more a case of probably having to do so without any idea how of good the sound will be and how good it waill make my TV sound and even whether it will work at all when all is plugged in to my TV?

Modern marketing methods hardly inspire confidence when so many things don't 'do what it says on the box'!

A good surround sound system may help. I frequently have to turn the centre speaker up on ours to improve vocals, both in talking and singing. Tesco had a Bluray player with built in surround amp and speakers recently for a bit over £100 recently, can't remember the exact price as I already havesurround sound and Bluray

http://m.tesco.com/mt/direct.tesco.com/q/R.215-3697.aspx

Try this one.

D.

Guest Tracker

Thanks Dave - it's a kind thought from you but, and without being ungrateful, I don't need a blueray thingy and I don't have any spare hdmi sockets on the TV!

I suspect that the amplifier and remote sensor is in the blueray box not one of the speakers and, I don't know, but it may well be that it would only work as a sound enhancer when the blueray box is in use?

But it is an interesting option at a decent price that would possibly suit others?

Guest Tracker

Wat I want is a remote that will switch off the background music which drowns out the speech

Me Too - along with, I suspect, many thousands of people!

I have one of those John. It's called the power button - when I get p****d off with not being able to hear the voices I just hit it. Peace reigns!!!!!!!!!

OOOOH loverly jubbly - how do I get one of they please!!

Archived