Titles

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

I cut this from a posting from Derek Uzzell as it might be worth discussing - or arguing about - and then again it might not?

I think it's a daft idea too and (if I had my way) I'd get shot of the 'title' feature together with emoticons and avatars (and the Hints & Tips forum). But there you go...

Instead, perhaps we could have regular votes on suitable positive 'titles' for forum members. Then only members who've been generally accepted to have earned the right to be considered an 'expert' in a particular field would be so titled. We could also have votes on negative titles - for example "disruptive", "nuisance", "argumentative", "sarcastic", etc. That might be fun

END QUOTE

I agree the hints and tips page is pointless because nobody understands what it is actually for and most would not bother to look even if a description were available - which it might well be for all I know because I have not looked either!

And as for emoticons they should go too as they are often just used as an excuse to hide behind to be offensive or as a substitute for being able to communicate with real words!

I would hate to see avatars go as they often give a fair insight into the personality - or lack of one - of the poster!

Other possible titles that could be applied are 'grumpy', 'funny',' weird', 'knowall'.

No doubt there are others - so let's have your suggestion!

Tracker - 2012-01-18 3:25 PM

Instead, perhaps we could have regular votes on suitable positive 'titles' for forum members.

Not too sure on that Tracker. Some on here wouldn't know a positive post if it bit them on the arse. All they do is post negatively. They don't even start a thread but wait for others so they can pick holes in them. Reminds me of crows waiting for a bit of carrion (lol) (lol)

OK, I'm not innocent, especially when it comes to winding people up but if the buggers didn't bite I wouldn't do it. At least I post new threads even if sometimes it's to dangle my worm :$

Guest Tracker
Lord Braykewynde - 2012-01-18 4:03 PM

Not too sure on that Tracker. Some on here wouldn't know a positive post if it bit them on the arse. All they do is post negatively. They don't even start a thread but wait for others so they can pick holes in them. Reminds me of crows waiting for a bit of carrion (lol) (lol)

OK, I'm not innocent, especially when it comes to winding people up but if the buggers didn't bite I wouldn't do it. At least I post new threads even if sometimes it's to dangle my worm :$

Much as it seems strange I do have to agree about positive posters.

I do so enjoy a good 'carry on' myself but I have to ask if a bunch of crows are known as 'crownies'?

Worm dangling can be dangerous when there are crows about!

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-01-18 4:44 PM

Dave (pelmetman) would be speechless with no emoticons :D

Dave

8-)........ (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) .................... ;-)

B-)

As a relative newbie and thus not entitled to a real opinion lol,Im not really sure is there is a problem at all ?

Being rubbish on the P.C. I dont know how to even put a title on or set an avatar. With regard to the emotions - the list is not massive compared to the full MSN list but do take the point that you can slag someone half to death and then put a 'smiley' at the end and everythings deemed ok !!!

As a new user I / we find some avatars quite funny and generally all post and threads informative, entertaining and / or funny.

Chatterbox appears to be the only section where little fights break out (I am not innocent by any means in this area with a certain puppy dog) and if that is known and people dont like reading that type of thing maybe stay on M.H. matters ?

I have noticed though that dispite the few posts saying that the little squabbles spoil the site - the 'views' of threads that get a bit naughty are generally much higher than normal threads.

Just a view of a worthless newbie lol

Mr B (Neil)

;-) Oops sorry one of those simley things

Guest Tracker
Mr & Mrs Batty - 2012-01-18 5:19 PM

As a relative newbie and thus not entitled to a real opinion lol,Im not really sure is there is a problem at all ?

Your view is just as important as anyone else's Neil and don't let anyone except maybe one of the chosen ones who shall remain nameless for now tell you otherwise!

Tracker - 2012-01-18 6:42 PM

Mr & Mrs Batty - 2012-01-18 5:19 PM

Your view is just as important as anyone else's Neil and don't let anyone except maybe one of the chosen ones who shall remain nameless for now tell you otherwise!

OMG ! thanks Rich I now have approval from you as a long time poster AND royal approval from The Lord !!!!!!

lol - I have always spoken my mind , maybe not as directly as Big Bro. Brucey Bruce, just as a new set of eyes from what I have experienced and read to date since joining the forums is that some people have much thicker skins than others. I do try and not post bad laungage ever if typing a joke received on my phone by text. This is mainly as I am a bit old school and respect and value the views of the women that use the forums.

I REALLY dont care what people say about ME and if I cause amusement thats great - makes people happy. The only rule I stick by is not to have a go at my wife / family unless in an OBVIOUSLY joking way.

I do agree with Michelle as well - as Im a total child I like the emotions !!!

:-D

ips - 2012-01-19 2:49 PM

Other possible titles that could be applied are 'grumpy', 'funny',' weird', 'knowall'.

No doubt there are others - so let's have your suggestion!

I want the grumpy title please .... :-D

I think once you get past 3000 postings you could be classed as a ' layabout '

( But we should DEFINITELY get rid of the term ' Expert ' )

;-)

Guest Tracker
Mr & Mrs Batty - 2012-01-19 9:52 AM

OMG ! thanks Rich I now have approval from you as a long time poster

I prefer to think of it not as approval, for it is not my place to approve or disapprove of any member, but as simply restating what is blindingly obvious to most of us and that is there is no volume control on the forum so that everyone's voice can be heard with total equality!

Tracker - 2012-01-19 4:17 PM

Mr & Mrs Batty - 2012-01-19 9:52 AM

OMG ! thanks Rich I now have approval from you as a long time poster

I prefer to think of it not as approval, for it is not my place to approve or disapprove of any member, but as simply restating what is blindingly obvious to most of us and that is there is no volume control on the forum so that everyone's voice can be heard with total equality!

Too late to back off now Rich - I've got Royal approval from The Lord now and fully expect to be in charge of the site and maybe the whole internet by the weekend pmsl.

PLEASE keep up the tounge in cheek posts as I intend to do

;-)

Guest Tracker
Brambles - 2012-01-19 5:02 PM

There are nice posters, wise posters, rude posters and trouble makers,

knowledgable posters, those who enquire,

polite posters,humerous posters, and Tracker. :D

Thank you Jon - my wife keeps telling that I am 'u-blody-nique' and now I know what she means!

Apologies if everyone already knows this, but if you open your "Control panel" (top of page, just below where it says "Welcome, (whoever)" and then scroll down, you will find a question: "Hide you post count?". It has a yes/no box beside it. Select Yes, and the titles will not show, although the "brownie" stars still will.

Guest Tracker
Brambles - 2012-01-19 6:16 PM

Darn! was not meant as a compliment. I shall have to try harder. :'(

There are several on here that have heaps of experience in being uncomplimentary Jon, and they would more than likely be very happy to give you lessons on being unpleasant - especially if it helped them to get back at me - but due to the forum's policy of not advertising I regret that I am unable to provide any names and it's a good job that I don't get paranoid!

Brian, I think I shall leave mine as is, I quite like being titled an expert. Maybe I will add in the location section ... in all things useless.

Rich, trust me, if someone was to really cross me, then they would know about it and I would put as much effort in as I do to help people to make it perfectly clear where they stand.

But over the years I have learned to sometimes and mostly just walk away and keep quiet.

Edit - drat, does not work what I was trying to do with my title etc.

Brian Kirby - 2012-01-19 6:26 PM

Apologies if everyone already knows this, but if you open your "Control panel" (top of page, just below where it says "Welcome, (whoever)" and then scroll down, you will find a question: "Hide you post count?". It has a yes/no box beside it. Select Yes, and the titles will not show, although the "brownie" stars still will.

I didn't know that Brian, thank you, cant have everyone thinking I'm an expert when everyone knows I bl**dy useless. OH....!!!!! that's it 8-) my title.....'Useless' (Not Ulysses)

Dave Useless

Guest Tracker
nowtelse2do - 2012-01-19 7:40 PM

Dave Useless

Anyone who likes Jags can never be classed as useless Dave - masochistic, eccentric, penniless, optimistic maybe - but to balance those often seen wearing a big grin whilst driving !

I don't agree at all. I've been posting steadily over the years to gain the title of 'expert' and now I'm within touching distance, Derek wants to snatch it away !

You members who have 'modestly' removed their titles don't fool the rest of us you know. Its obvious that your experts, and you know that we know, that your experts.  Anyway, agree with getting rid of those bleedin' face things.......makes a post hard work to read on occasion.

Guest pelmetman
bob b - 2012-01-19 11:03 PM

You members who have 'modestly' removed their titles don't fool the rest of us you know. Its obvious that your experts, and you know that we know, that your experts.  Anyway, agree with getting rid of those bleedin' face things.......makes a post hard work to read on occasion.

I'm not removing mine 8-)...............Its the nearest thing I've got to a qualification............apart from the collectors badge in the scouts ;-)..............I don't count the grade 3 CSE in history as I blame that on the muppet I was sat next to *-) *-)

Archived