To buy or what to buy

Frankly2484

Hi. We are complete novices in the motorhome world, and would really appreciate any advice you have on what motor home to buy. We have seen the Autocruise Augusta, and is perfect in every way. Single beds and washroom to the rear. We would only be travelling in the UK and Eire, but would be using it in most months of the year for a month or so at a time. There are only two of us, plus one German shepherd dog. A 2 berth is a bit too small, but hopefully a 3 berth would be sufficient. We are both 'walking disabled' so would need electric steps etc., My husband has a back problem so would like something that is not too heavy to drive.

What about manual or automatic? Does it make a great difference?

A new Augusta is a bit too much to fork out for, but we would dearly appreciate any advice given.

We don't want one of those 'humps' (sorry, not up to speed on the jargon yet) that is over the front cab, and may occassionally like to take our 2 grandchildren aged 8 and 15 away with us.

As this is the biggest purchase since buying out home, we really need to be very sure about it all

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and replies

Frankly2484 - 2012-01-18 4:47 PM

Hi. We are complete novices in the motorhome world, and would really appreciate any advice you have on what motor home to buy. We have seen the Autocruise Augusta, and is perfect in every way. Single beds and washroom to the rear. We would only be travelling in the UK and Eire, but would be using it in most months of the year for a month or so at a time. There are only two of us, plus one German shepherd dog. A 2 berth is a bit too small, but hopefully a 3 berth would be sufficient. We are both 'walking disabled' so would need electric steps etc., My husband has a back problem so would like something that is not too heavy to drive.

What about manual or automatic? Does it make a great difference?

A new Augusta is a bit too much to fork out for, but we would dearly appreciate any advice given.

We don't want one of those 'humps' (sorry, not up to speed on the jargon yet) that is over the front cab, and may occassionally like to take our 2 grandchildren aged 8 and 15 away with us.

As this is the biggest purchase since buying out home, we really need to be very sure about it all

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and replies

Welcome to the forum.

My own van is only a two berth so I wouldn't like to advise on bigger ones, but I would certainly advise that you take your time ! ( Took us nearly two years to choose ours ).

If possible go to some shows. You will see a much bigger range of vans there than you will at dealers - and the outdoor shows often have 'pre-loved' vans to look at.

Good hunting.

;-)

I would agree about going to as many shows as you can..but to start with,DON'T take your cheque book!(..as you may get caught up by "shiny van syndrome" ;-) )

Decide if you'd be happy with a layout that requires you to make the bed up everynight..?

if not then it's either a fixbed bed layout or one that enables you to leave the bed made but still leaves you somewhere to sit(..a dinette?)

As you want to take the grandkids,ensure it has rear seatbelts..Also will they be sleeping in the van? ..if so,how "private" would the sleeping arrangements be? or are they likely sleeping in an awning/pup tent?..

On the subject of the grandkids,although you obviously want to be able to take them with you,realistically,how often is that likely to be?..as you don't want buy some big lumbering thing to accomodate them,to just find they only go with you once/twice a year... :-S

Also,keep a bit of an eye on payloads,as a good many vans leave very little for "stuff",especially if you've got some "extras" fitted...

Anyway..don't be rushed...and don't believe the salesman... ;-)

I think the best advice anyone can give you at present is to follow this link: http://tinyurl.com/8973u2p and buy, and then read, the book. I have no (pecuniary! :-)) interest in the publication, but if the latest edition is anywhere near as good as the original, it will answer more questions than you have yet thought of, and has the potential to save you time, money, and heartache, as well as provide an advanced level education on the peculiarities of motorhomes.

The second piece of advice I would give is once you have narrowed down your shortlist, hire something similar for a week or so to see how it works out in practise. Things that look good when viewed passively can drive you mad when used in anger! :-)

My third piece of advice is never rule anything out! You are currently, apparently, discounting the possibility of travelling outside the UK. In selecting your van I wouldn't do that. I don't think it would greatly affect your choices, but items such as cab air conditioning, for example, that many discount for UK use, become highly desirable in the hotter parts of the mainland. My reason for saying this is that assuming you decide you like motorhoming, after a few trips the confidence sets in, the horizons expand with the realisation of what you could do, and ambition grows. A motorhome is a great opiate! :-)

A final comment. Modern motorhomes are as light, and easy, to drive as cars. The main difficulty you may experience, as you have surmised, is getting in and out; probably more through the cab doors than the habitation door. Most vans are based on so called light goods vehicles, most commonly Fiat Ducato or, in UK, Peugeot Boxer (the same vehicle, with minor differences, from the same factory). These give a superb, elevated, driving position, but the scramble up to the cab is the flip side. Try this early on and, if it is not a comfortable proposition, although the range of potential vans will sharply diminish, you should still be able to find something you can live with. Hope this helps.

Guest JudgeMental

If the kids are just going to go with you during summer holidays, they can sleep in a pop up tent...Just make sure you buy a van with 4 forward facing seats with seat belts. We made the mistake of getting a big coachbuilt when the kids approached their teens...worse thing we did. we now have a panel van and if and when they come with us they sleep in a tent......

I dont like rear bathrooms, that is a lot of weight behind back axle and handling/storage and weight capacity can be an issue. Dont get a van with a big bathroom as if not using Aires or wild camping and mainly staying on sites, if your paying campsite fees you pay as well use the facilities you are paying for?

layout and storage need great consideration, go to a decent show or four and as many dealers as you can and spend as much time weighing up the options...I will be very surprised if you dont change your mind by the end of the process....

There are many vans with rear beds and front lounges that convert to another double that can carry 4. Maybe twin singles at the back and front lounge may be best, but these tend to be over 7 metres....

one under at 6.8M I think....is the Adria Compact SL, a lovely van

Regarding the size of the van, I think you need to consider where you are likely to go in it.

For instance if you are likely to end in on the narrow lanes of Devon / Cornwall, or even the Highlands and islands of Scotland, you may find it more difficult in a very large van.

Same applies to parking it of course - not many 'car parks' in UK towns and villages are motorhome friendly when it comes to large vans.

Just a thought.

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
colin - 2012-01-18 7:56 PM

You appear to be considering shelling out a large sum of money on something you are not quite up to speed on, my advise when in this position is to rent one first. You will then have a better understanding of what works for you.

Have to agree, so many folk I have spoken to over the years fail to get it right first time, and that can be costly. I'm on van number four in just under six years and still not quite there. Maybe second hand maybe the way to go, gives you more financial wriggle room should you get it wrong first time. And on a cautionary note, if your new to the whole thing there is always the possibility that you'll hate it.

As an example we only went out once in our first despite it ticking all the boxes on the forecourt, it was a disaster, and very nearly gave up the whole idea.

All good sound advice from other posters. I would also advice test driving for at least half hour doing hill starts, reversing & parking between stationary vehicles. Try to find someone who lives nearby that is familiar with motorhomes & who would be willing to give impartial advice.

Other suggestions are make up the beds & both have a lie down. Ask to see gas bottles fitted & put in their locker - many can be a very tight squeeze; then try to put them in yourself to ensure they are not too heavy or cumbersome. You can get lightweight bottles & refillable ones so there are ways around it.

Don't discount purchasing good second hand ones; you won't take the initial hit on pricing & most if not all the initial 'niggly issues' should have been resolved. I'm not technically or an engineer but I recall that some Fiat/Citroen engines had a problem with reversing judder (perhaps someone else will enlighten you).

We have owned three motorhomes over the past 13 years. Our present van is an Avondale (they do have the 'bulge' luton over the cab which comes in handy for storing light goods eg. bedding & also makes a good double bed for the grandchildren) although these motorhomes are no longer in production getting spares hasn't been a problem to date. They were very similar to Auto Sleepers as Avondale's head of design was 'head-hunted' from Auto Sleepers & they are a fraction of Auto Sleeper prices

An example is Avondale 5-CDX is a 4 berth with 4 dedicated seat belts & is only 19' 2.5" long, making parking & town driving very easy. Our Avondale is a 5-ELX rear lounge. If you require more info on Avondales or if you are near where I live (Chesterfield) I would be more than happy to help you. Likewise am willing to help should you find a motorhome & would just like to have someone with you when you look around it. You can send me a PM & I will then send you my e-mail details etc.

Hi Frankly2484 & welcom to the forum & motorhomes.

The Autocruise Augusta is a lengthy Motorhome 7.55m (or 24' 9" in old money) & if it is your first experience it could prove quite daunting to drive if you have no experience of larger vehicles. You may also find it restrictive when parking en-route.

It has a very long overhang (beyond the rear axle), resulting in a big turning circle.

Another thing to consider is where will you park the motorhome when not in use - at home ? do you have sufficient turning in to your drive.

I second those who suggest hiring before buying, but I don't think you will find any Augusta's on any hire fleet, although you should find something of a similar length.

Swift now own Autocruise & have dropped the Autocruise coachbuilts, but one of the magazines did mention that the Augusta layout has bben carried forward on one of their new 2012 models.

If you are going to the Motorhome Show at Excel next month, the Caravan Club are doing Motorhome Driving experience taster sessions, but from memory the Motorhomes they use are only around 6.0m to 6.5m

Edit to add -

Received my copy of Warners 2012 Showgoer newsletter, who list "Buying your first Motorhome" @ £3.49 (for 164 paqes, it must be worth a punt for those with no previous experience)

www.your-first-motorome.co.uk or 01778 392010

I would assume the OP had dropped the idea of an Augusta,due to the lack of travel seats for the grandkids...

As others of said,hire something first and then maybe buy a decent secondhand one..?(..let someone else carry the depreciation and iron out the bugs... ;-) )

..but still be prepared to want to change it in about a year's time,for something with a better(different?) *table/seating/bed/bathroom etc...!? (lol)

(*delete as applicable.. ;-) )

Hi,

I too am of the walking wounded with a severe back condition,so would warn you to be extra careful when choosing your van. I made a very costly mistake on two counts. Firstly I thought making the bed at night would not be too much hassle, wrong, it became that I was not looking forward to going to bed knowing I would be extra sore by the time I got in to it. Secondly I underestimated the payload in that the van we chose as I was green about the subject and the van had IMO a woefully low payload.

Upshot was that after just over 12 months I traded in my van which was brand new and upgraded to its big brother, I went from a 2010 Bessacarr 630 3500kg to a 4005kg Bessacarr 660 with a fixed bed.

When you take depreciation in to account all in all a costly mistake by not getting the decision right first time. I mention the payload as you may need to bear in mind the weight of electric bikes [ I am able to do small amounts on one] as they are much heavier than ordinary bikes.

Best of luck in your search and hope you are using a van soon, it does give you extra freedom if you are infirmed.

cheers

derek

Hello and welcome Frankly,

All good advice, certainly, I would hire a van first, just to make sure that you didn't 'hate it' after a week or so, try and hire one with a simililar layout to the type you are interested in.

I bought a used Autocruise Starburst late 2005 model, strictly a two berth, no rear travel seats (a lot are like that). Ours is a 'low profile', with an Alko chassis (galvanised, we live by the sea !). we are very pleased with the quality of the Autocruise finish, very clever design, we are pleased with it, don't know about 'Swift' version quality (they took over in 2007). Good Hunting. ;-) Ray

George Collings - 2012-01-19 10:40 PM

Keep you eye open for motorhomes parked near where you live. Must of us are high grade gasbags who love talking about our hobby. Knock on the door and be prepared for sustained earache, in the process you will learn from their hard earned experience, especially about the reputation of local dealers.

I think George has got us pretty well sussed out :-D :-D

Archived