Tapping noise in Cab door

Mike B.

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem but at last I have found it!

For quite a whileI have had a 'tapping' noise on the drivers door which sounded like a metal object tapping on the window-especially on going over bumps but also just when driving along a road and it has been driving me mad. I took the door cards off, I took the door to bits, the electric window drives to bits, virtually ripped everything out and couldn't find anything wrong. I thought maybe it was something like a key or camera etc rattling in a cupboard or overhead locker and so ripped them apart as well-nothing.

Purely by chance on cleaning the winter grime off the van I opened the drivers cab door and bingo-tapping noise.

Unbelieveably, the top hinge on the door was 'flexing' the body panel and the hinge was slightly 'pinging'on the bodywork. I have packed the hinge with grease and the tapping has stopped. I would never have found this in a lifetime as the noise when going through the door sounded like something was loose somewhere and consequently was what I was looking for.

If anyone else has this tapping noise-try the hinge before ripping everything apart-you may have same problem as me!

Mike

Can I add another possibility which affected us? The plate on the door catch may need adjusting. On ours the up/down movement of the van causes a tapping noise.

It's very difficult to isolate just where the noise is coming from - a liberal coating of grease on likely locations (hinges, locks .. one point at a time) eventually caused the noise to stop briefly which gave the clue.

ChrisB - 2012-01-18 5:45 PM

Can I add another possibility which affected us? The plate on the door catch may need adjusting. On ours the up/down movement of the van causes a tapping noise.

It's very difficult to isolate just where the noise is coming from - a liberal coating of grease on likely locations (hinges, locks .. one point at a time) eventually caused the noise to stop briefly which gave the clue.

Thanks Chris-I'll check that and keep an eye on it.

Mike

Remember a friend had a Ford car that had a noise from the door area and had had the noise on and off from new. It was found when someone drove into the side and the door was striped to repair, turned out to be a beer bottle put in during assembly of the door.

Archived