What kind of......

nightrider

Certainly I think we suffer from having politicians that never have had a ordinary job. If you look at Blair, Brown Cameron Milliband et al - they all went from University to a political assistants role and then on into politics themselves. Some have been Barristers - which seems to enable them to bend the truth.

Blair suffered from using the same arguments over and over again as he was used to using this technique on an ever changing 12 people - so it was a shock to him when he realised that the population as a whole remembered that he had said that before - remember the times he re-announced the same money time and time again for the NHS as tho it was new funding?

The issue is that if you are bright and good in business - politics is not attractive to you.

If you have an "agenda" and an ability to spin the truth to within an inch of its life then politics is attractive.

A well educated, financially astute prime minister, with a good understanding of global politics, who surrounds himself with bright people, who have lived in the real world, and listens to them.

I realise that this is very unlikely to happen.

;-)

Not so sure I would agree with KOTR’s examples. Branson made his money by selling music to gullible teenagers, he cannot run an airline and needs Singapore Airlines to do it for him and his railway has one of the worst records and highest fares. Green bought the BHS group when it was a well liked High Street store and turned it into a tat shop. He took a huge dividend out by loading it up with debt, put all the money in his wife’s name and lives in Monaco. Sugar had some success with Amstrad but sold out and now makes his money by being obnoxious on the television. At least 2 of them do not pay tax so as role models, all they have in common is a vastly inflated sense of their own importance. Maybe those are qualities for PM, I do not know but I could see many many better examples.

However, before anyone could apply for the job I would bar all graduates of Oxford or Cambridge as they have only seen a cloistered world and no one who has not spent at least 10 years working at paid employment. I would also ensure they can only serve 1 term of say 8 years so there is no worry about re-election and they may then actually do some of the more unpleasant things that need to be done.

As for suitable candidates well, as I have all the answers................Hee!Hee! By the way, what was the question???????

malc d - 2012-01-19 9:38 AM

A well educated, financially astute prime minister, with a good understanding of global politics, who surrounds himself with bright people, who have lived in the real world, and listens to them.

I realise that this is very unlikely to happen.

;-)

Oh I don't know! - I'm available 8-) (lol) (lol) (lol)

The problem, I think, is that the job description, and the kind of person the job attracts, are mutually incompatible.

Limiting to two terms is attractive, but only if they either get shoved upstairs after the two terms, or are disbarred from cabinet office after two terms.

I'd also like to see a legal requirement for an election whenever a PM leaves their post, say within three months, rather than a buggins turn appointment from within their party.

Look where we are now. No properly constituted upper house, and about to embark on some half baked re-formatting of the United Kingdom with only one, minority, group being consulted over whether it should happen. Only people with no experience of realising complex projects in the real world could be that daft. They just seem to think talking about things fixes them. If only! :-)

Whilst I agree that we need leaders with external experience, financial accumen & life experience, expectations, etc., as opposed to career politicians.

To enable any of those suggested, could be the thin end of a very large wedge.

Who amongst the Business /Commercial elite would contemplate reducing their Salary dramatically to be in-line with that of a Prime Minister or Cabinet Member.

They would have to relinquish their posts in Business, otherwise their would be constant "conflict of interest" situations.

Also, would any of them tolerate the current Civil Service & Party Support Teams. (?) (?)

I think not, no attraction to successful entrapeneurs.(spelling?)

flicka - 2012-01-19 8:17 PM

Whilst I agree that we need leaders with external experience, financial accumen & life experience, expectations, etc., as opposed to career politicians.

Who amongst the Business /Commercial elite would contemplate reducing their Salary dramatically to be in-line with that of a Prime Minister or Cabinet Member.

They would have to relinquish their posts in Business, otherwise their would be constant "conflict of interest" situations.

Also, would any of them tolerate the current Civil Service & Party Support Teams. (?) (?)

Not so sure about the reducing salary bit. Yes, intially but if Blair is anything to go by the after perks are very profitable.Also the ability to have every road closed for your travelling whims could be fun.

As Groucho Marx said - I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member.

In that way I don't want any one to be PM who actually wants the job. If they want it they must have an ulterior motive.

Power corrupts and ultimate power corrupts ultimately.

Anyone for tea with a lobyist with deep pockets or can I interest you in some expenses. No, then how about some jolly good publicity from a friend on the News of the screws. Politicians - Don't you just love 'em - NOT.

Dave225 - 2012-01-19 8:38 PM

flicka - 2012-01-19 8:17 PM

Not so sure about the reducing salary bit. Yes, intially but if Blair is anything to go by the after perks are very profitable.Also the ability to have every road closed for your travelling whims could be fun.

But that would infer Business leaders don't live of their expenses, draw any bonuses or take up their share options :D :D :D

Guest Tracker

Not one of your better posts Malc and no doubt someone will be offended somewhere sooner or later.

How about a woman for PM again?

Joanna Lumley?

Ann Widecombe?

Delia Smith?

Anne Robinson?

Or someone completely different?

The woman I would want for PM is Hilary Devey, she of Dragons den fame, a self made multi millionairess, who strikes fear in any man, she would tear Angela Merkel and that French dwarf to pieces, a no nonsence woman who does'nt suffer fools lightly and best of all she is a northener born and bred in Bolton the next town to me, the only downside to Hilary is the fact that she has heart problems.

Richard,

I dont come on here wondering if any of my posts offend anyone, as long as I dont offend anyone directly, although I admit that I have on a few occasions of which I am always willing to accept a bollocking and do apologise.

Regarding Hitler I must have read hundreds of books about this man and find him fascinating as do hundreds of historians who try to find out what made him tick.

Had he not gone down the path he chose he could have been the greatest statesman the world ever knew, a non drinker, vegetarian, no sex scandals with men or women and unlike a lot of dictators he never robbed his peoples money like other world dictators far too many to mention, and of course more books have been written about Hitler than anyone else in the world including god.

Archived