Bargain Price 80 watt Solar Panel

Dr Dave

I have bought one of these 80 watt solar panels (as per original posting, from Germany). It arrived very promptly, much quicker than other smaller gear I ordered from the UK. It will be roof mounted, permanently.

I intend to also connect a voltage sensing split charger for charging on the move, and am wondering if this is possible or advisable, and if so which regulator should I go for?

Or is there a better route?

Would there be interaction between the split charger and the regulator/solar panel? If the split charger was connected via the 2nd set of LB posts, would the regulator know anything about it?

I would not expect a solar panel to work all year round at a sufficient charge rate to match the available output from the alternator..

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tea Cup - 2012-01-28 11:53 PM

I have bought one of these 80 watt solar panels (as per original posting, from Germany). It arrived very promptly, much quicker than other smaller gear I ordered from the UK. It will be roof mounted, permanently.

I intend to also connect a voltage sensing split charger for charging on the move, and am wondering if this is possible or advisable, and if so which regulator should I go for?

Or is there a better route?

Would there be interaction between the split charger and the regulator/solar panel? If the split charger was connected via the 2nd set of LB posts, would the regulator know anything about it?

I would not expect a solar panel to work all year round at a sufficient charge rate to match the available output from the alternator..

Can I add to the above questions for those in the know, what are the implications when on mains hookup to make use of mains voltage appliances, that the onboard charger will also be attempting to charge the batteries, will that create a problem, or blow anything up. 8-)

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-29 12:08 AM

Can I add to the above questions for those in the know, what are the implications when on mains hookup to make use of mains voltage appliances, that the onboard charger will also be attempting to charge the batteries, will that create a problem, or blow anything up. 8-)

Most chargers are OK with a solar controller connected to the battery but a few aren't, as I mentioned in an earlier post a few models of Elektroblock don't like it, so it would be wise to check with the charger manufacturer.

Thanks, Dave,

Your post was so welcome and I really appreciate the lengths you went to so I could follow it easily.

I can certainly follow and understand your description of the set up and shall be ordering one tomorrow.

I do not intend to fix it permanently to the van but just take it with us when we go to the various rallies throughout the summer. I pull a motorcycle on a trailer most of the time and have to keep an eye on my back axle load so when we are going to sites with electric hook up or are going abroad, as we only stay on sites abroad, I can leave it at home and replace the weight with some other item.

Once again, Thanks a lot, your efforts are much appreciated.

Hi,

I think I might be interested in one of these type of panel, but hopefully somebody could help me with a couple of techie points. Our van is a Bessacarr 2011 m0del 660 and comes with facility for installing a panel, well a connection point on the roof. What I would need to know is how the actual panel is fixed securely and does it have to be a specific panel or can an off the shelf one do. Hope someone out there has trodden this path before as any will be so helpful.

ps There is a setting in the control panel for solar panel so internal wiring seem to be pre fixed.

cheers

derek

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on this subject. The solar system has been fitted to the van for about six weeks now, today 11th March with a clear sky but the sun still quite lowish the charge to the batteries was 2.9 amps at 11:00 Am which i must say i am quite impressed with. When i ordered the cheap solar controller from E Bay I expected it to be a shunt type but it is a series regulator and i am very pleased with the performance of this (if you dont know what shunt & series means it wont bother you (lol) ) I did go for some fancy aerodynamic brackets which have a good area to stick to the roof of the van and look good. After totaling up the cost it comes to less than £200 which should enable us to ditch the hook ups for extended periods hopefully.

Dave

Archived