Fiat Ducato filter prices shock horror

jb6981

I have just made my annual trip to a Fiat main agent (Guest Motors, West Bromwich) to purchase oil, air and fuel filters for my 2006 Ducato 2.8JTD (146bhp).

2011 cost = £64.09: Oil filter - £11.26, Air filter - £21.63, Fuel filter - £26.46.

2012 cost = £83.41: Oil filter - £11.32, Air filter - £22.95, Fuel filter - £35.24.

Small increase for oil and air but a whopping 33% increase for the fuel filter, £35 quid for a fuel filter!! thats taking the P***!! [it is the type that drops into a plastic housing, not the metal screw in variety].

The fuel filter part number (A0077365902) has changed but I double checked with Guest's Aston branch and it is the correct filter.

Does not the Fuel filter only require changing at 40,000 miles for normal service or 24,000 miles for severe coditions I change mine every 4 years, Air filter ever 3 years( but look at it and clean every year), Oil and filter ever year

Alf

Eurocarpart just down the road from you £19.50 for a Bosch fuel filter or £21.90 Gutamam for a cartidge fuel filter.

As regards Air Filter, I replaced mine with a KN direct replacement.

I took my 2008 Fiat motorhome to Guest Trucks (same company) to fit thenew engine mounts following the famous reverse judder in 2008, Fiat booked it into Platts Stoke on Trent to undo their bodged attempt.

Hello,

Just a couple of things to add to the above;

The fuel filter that we use is from Euro Car Parts and is £21.90 as stated but is made by UFI who actually make the original Fiat item. Ask for 503880060 and insist on UFI.

The Air filter is available for about £16 but your original one should be good for a couple of years and could even be refreshed by a quick hoover! The best and cheapest (quality) oil filter is a Bosch item and that is also available from Euro CP.

Reminder; I strongly recommend not using the 5W40 oil specified by Fiat for a van at that age. It will only lead to oil leaks in the future. Use 10W40 Semi synthetic from a decent manufacturer.

Yes, in my experience Guests are crap. (Can I say that on here?)

Nick

alf - 2012-01-20 5:41 PM

Does not the Fuel filter only require changing at 40,000 miles for normal service or 24,000 miles for severe coditions I change mine every 4 years, Air filter ever 3 years( but look at it and clean every year), Oil and filter ever year

Alf

The service book that came with the van states at page 54:

Ducato/Scudo maintenance Programme - 18000 miles service intervals;

Replace fuel filter (Ducato diesel versions); Replace air filter (Ducato diesel versions) at 18k. and then every subsequent 18k; So replace at 18k, 36k, 54k, 72k, 90k, 108k, etc. [scudo replace fuel and air filters at 18000, 54000, 90000, etc.]

Ducato Handbook states @ page 164; replace fuel filter cartridge (diesel versions) at 60k and 120k kilometres. It further states at page 166: "Refuelling with diesel fuel not complying with the grade of purity prescribed by European specification EN590 might make it necessary to replace the filter more frequently than indicated in the Service Schedule".

So you you have a choice, I prefer to change all my filters annually - filters cheap, engine expensive.

For anyone visiting France it may be cheaper to get a service done while you wait at a Feu Vert branch.

I got a quote from them for the standard 45k kilometre service.

Fiat Ducato - Usage : normal

2,3 Multijet 120 (06-) 120ch

Année 2011 - Filtre à particules : Non

- Utilisation huile Long Life : A vérifier

Votre Révision Expert (a)

45000 km

comprend :

Le remplacement de l'huile (suivant homologation du constructeur et dans la limite de 5 litres)

Le remplacement de : Filtre à air

Le remplacement de : Filtre à huile moteur

Le remplacement de : Filtre diesel

Le Diagnostic électronique (b)

+ 52 points de contrôles Prix conseillé au 04/08/2011 © : 149 €

Guest pelmetman

OT........ but can anyone explain oils to me :-S

Went hunting in the a Supermarche for oil, and they had loads.......even went with me handbook *-).............Is there a easy rule of thumb?..............in the end went for the cheapest that said diesel on it 8-)

My mind has cheapest.... set as the default mode :D

pelmetman - 2012-01-20 8:57 PM

Went hunting in the a Supermarche for oil, and they had loads.......even went with me handbook *-).............Is there a easy rule of thumb?..............in the end went for the cheapest that said diesel on it 8-)

Cheap oil could be very costly in the longer run as it affects cold starting, reliability, wear and fuel consumption There is a vast difference between mineral oil, semi synthetic and synthetic, if you change from mineral to synthetic the engine should flushed after draining the oil before refilling. If your engine is reasonably new use the oil recommended in the handbook if it is older check with a reputable garage or a main dealer :-) what you should use as oils are being upgraded quite regularly.

Reminder; I strongly recommend not using the 5W40 oil specified by Fiat for a van at that age. It will only lead to oil leaks in the future. Use 10W40 Semi synthetic from a decent manufacturer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Nick

Can you tell me what age you were refering to. I have a 2.3 Ducato and it is due for it`s first service should I tell them to put 10W40 semi synthetic in mine.

Also I am thinking of getting a K&N air filter do you think it would improve things engine wise I do not Know how much they cost have you any idea

pelmetman - 2012-01-20 8:57 PM

As long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the original specified standard then it doesn't really matter on older engines. IMO for those engines still under warranty the 'specified' oil or that used by the servicing dealership is the one to go for. I used to have close dealings with Castrol HQ in Swindon and they told me that with modern engines closer tolerances and the resultant stresses involved they do (despite disbelief in some quarters) develop their oils in conjunction with manufacturers......hence you'll see in the handbook of some vehicles recommendations for specific brands/standards of oils to be used.

In essence...buy cheap and accept the consequences....(well I think so anyway but each to their own).

Hello campers,

First I would like to add that the air filter that dipsie has on offer will also fit any 2.3 engined vehicle before the x250 (2006) van.

Mickydripin also asked about oil. Good point sir.

The owners manual changed in 2005 and the spec of recommended oil changed from 10W40 to a 5W40 WR (wide range) oil. Both were semi-synthetic. There were no engineering changes to the vehicle to warrant this change but change we did. Over the years it has become apparent that oil leaks are significantly more likely from either the crank or rear main oil seals on 2.8 engines that prior to the thinner oil had rarely been a problem. For this reason we changed back to 10W40 and have had no new problems on vans that have had new seals fitted. I strongly recommend that no 2.8 engine should have anything other than 10W40 put in it. They worked just fine on 15W40 before 2002 anyway!

Micky asked about the 2.3 and to be fair; these have not been affected to the same extent and probably do give fuel consumption benefits when using the 5W40 so I would stick with that.

Nick

In my original post I stated that the fuel filter purchased from Fiat dealer Guest Motors was an eye watering £35.24; I omitted to mention that that was the VAT exclusive price.

The retail price including VAT is in fact £42.28.

So the retail price for an air filter (£27.54) and fuel filter is an astonishing £69.83.

Archived