Mosel valley

bob the builder

I have travelled in France fairly well but never Germany. I intend going to the mosel in June of this year, despite the euro.

I have read several favourable entries in this forum, but would like to ask about routes. At the moment I am thinking of travelling from Calias to Mons , overnight at Mons, then onto Luxembourg city for a couple of days before driving to Trier. Moving along Mosel valley to its junction with Rhine river and then returning on the opposite back, or generally heading back to Calias.by anoth route

I have just over 2 weeks at my disposal.

Any advice re routing and POI - I do not want to miss anything on route, but recognize 2 weeks is probably not long enough. Any advice would be welcome. Happy RVing :-D

bob the builder - 2012-01-20 7:11 PM

I have travelled in France fairly well but never Germany. I intend going to the mosel in June of this year, despite the euro.

I have read several favourable entries in this forum, but would like to ask about routes. At the moment I am thinking of travelling from Calias to Mons , overnight at Mons, then onto Luxembourg city for a couple of days before driving to Trier. Moving along Mosel valley to its junction with Rhine river and then returning on the opposite back, or generally heading back to Calias.by anoth route

Any advice re routing and POI - I do not want to miss anything on route, but recognize 2 weeks is probably not long enough. Any advice would be welcome. Happy RVing :-D

Unless you want to stop in Mons there is no reason to overnight there. Going by free roads you can easily do Luxembourg in half a day. (make sure you fill up here-cheapest diesel.)

There is a very good aire in Trier right alongside the river and within walking distance of the city-Beautiful city with lots to see-go to TIO Trier website & register for monthly newsletter to see what's happening while you're there.

From Trier just follow your nose-loads of aires virtually every village has one some better than others-one we particularly liked was Piesport, about 7E inc parking, electricity & services-bradman in a morning and ice cream man in afternoon-right alongside the Mosel. From there head up towards Koblenz and don't miss Cochem, Berkastle on the way up and on your return to Calais Ypres is well worth a visit-get there before 4pm for a pitch on the campsite there-very cheap and once again within walking distance of center. Ceremony starts at 8pm prompt every night

If you'd like to see some pictures from last year pm me and I'll send you some

Mike

bob the builder - 2012-01-20 7:11 PM

Two weeks is plenty of time to do this, you could take in the best section of the Rhine as well in this time. Depends what time your ferry/tunnel lands you in France but a good stop if you do not wish to go straight to Trier is either the aire at Catillon sur Sambe, right next to canal or Charlesville Mezier. Stellplatz at Trittenheim is good, right next to river 7euro with hookup. Another nice stell is at Brauneberg again 7euro with hookup. Do not miss Bernkastel or Cochem, many other villages worth a look including Tarbach/Trarben and Zell. Visit castle of Burg Eltz, you can drive up but a nice walk through the woods which starts just outside Mosel Kern. Alken and Thurant castle worth a look. When you reach Rhine if you have time would drive as far as St. Goar just to have a look at part of Rhone, totally differant to Mosel.

Unless you are happy to just sit and watch river traffic go by for days on end with the occasional visit to the odd quaint village two weeks is probably too long. We did the whole stretch in less than a week. Its nice but it does get a bit samey and there isnt much to do.

We did the Mosel then the Rhine but only lasted a couple of days on the Rhine as it was just too busy and noisy. Moved onto the Black Forest which is great and when we got to Switzerland we wondered why we bothered with Germany at all.

Guest 1footinthegrave

We planned exactly the same trip but with the exception of some very cheap Diesel and cheap tobacco in Luxembourg ( 3 Euro = £12 UK ) it was not what we were hoping for.

We eventually made Trier then started up the valley, found it rather boring and uninspiring but plenty of Stellplatz, some of them very large and not our bag anyway, we turned back after three days, and headed back to France via Alcase region, Metz for example we thought knocked Trier into a cocked hat, horses for courses.

I have to say we were not prepared for both the level of traffic, and some diabolical road surfaces either that we encountered on the way down.

I find a wonderful resource now is to make use of google earth, street view, to check out your plans and see if it looks like it will push your button,saves a whole lot of mileage, and disappointment.

There is a little bit about the Mosel and our first couple of weeks in Germany at the start of our summer 2011 Blog at www.hankthetank.co.uk under blog.

We went rowing on it in a little rubber dinghy but watch out if you do similar as there are some flipping big boats on there.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Barryd999 - 2012-01-21 9:32 AM

There is a little bit about the Mosel and our first couple of weeks in Germany at the start of our summer 2011 Blog at www.hankthetank.co.uk under blog.

We went rowing on it in a little rubber dinghy but watch out if you do similar as there are some flipping big boats on there.

I am reading your blogs right now, and have bookmarked them, all very entertaining stuff, highly recommended to others and the OP, a bit worrying about the encounter with Freddy Krueger though !

You have missed your vocation in life, and should get it all in print ASAP. P.S now you have reader number 4. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-21 10:30 AM

Barryd999 - 2012-01-21 9:32 AM

I am reading your blogs right now, and have bookmarked them, all very entertaining stuff, highly recommended to others and the OP, a bit worrying about the encounter with Freddy Krueger though !

(lol) Oh yeah. Watch out for the Stelplatz Killer!!! Now you will all have to read it to find out how we survived!!!

Dont have nightmares. Just arm yourselves with one of the massive long german sausages! :-D

Many thanks for your responses which I will take on board, I am looking forward to the trip, and I am currently learning a few handy phrases, for example , "vhere is the nearest veer kellar" and such like.

Hope all goes well this year for fellow travellers, blue skies and sunny days ahead. I willlet you know how I get on . Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Archived