When can we have our country back?

Lord Braykewynde

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16649868

The daylight savings bill had its reading today but was talked out of time by Scottish MPs *-)

Maybe when the wall is built and the SNP is a thing of the past at Westminster we will get our daylight saving.

A MP on our local radio made a statement I'd never heard of. He gave an example of if Stourport had the money to build a by-pass then Scotland would get a percentage of the cost under some agreement which I didn't catch. He also said that under the Barnett Formula for every £2k spent on a citizen from England or Wales then Scotland get £3k.

He also stated that if English voters were allowed to vote on the independence issue then it would go through with no trouble.

It seems that the English opposition to it came from Ministers and those who oppose an independent Scotland by not wanting to give the SNP more ammo.

Guest pelmetman
Gwendolyn - 2012-01-20 11:14 PM

Really? I think I may yearn for the Mesolithic, if not way back to the Palaeolithic.

Not into this New Stone Age stuff.

You know what they say.........Start at the top and work your way down :D

Guest pelmetman
Gwendolyn - 2012-01-20 11:43 PM

Exactly.

Am I there yet? :D

And to save you the effort Gwendolyn................Yes (lol)

As I understand it, Cameron would in some ways like Scottish MP's to be "removed" from the UK HoP because it would, by default, increase his majority in England and Wales by a huge margin.

However, Salmond does not want an early referendum because the polls indicate that Scotland would not go for a break from the UK.

However, whilst no proper poll or extensive survey has been carried out in England, the indications are that if England had a chance to vote on Scotland becoming independent, the English would support it by some margin.

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/politics/english_show_stronger_support_than_scots_for_scottish_independence_1_2058675

Gwendolyn - 2012-01-20 11:05 PM

Have our country back?

How far back do you wish to go? Can we have our pre Roman invasion; pre Anglo-Saxon, pre Norman Conquest invasions and revert to Celtic times? "English Go Home"..... be careful what you wish for.

Celtic times?

You still have your language, music, religion etc. In fact you've gone too far by placing one of your druids in Lambeth Palace *-)

Gwendolyn - 2012-01-20 11:05 PM

"English Go Home"..... be careful what you wish for.

From Jesse Norman, our MPs, maiden speech.

I feel doubly privileged, in that I stand here as one of two tribunes for the people of Herefordshire. Truly, Herefordshire is a glorious county, known throughout the world for the quality of its cider, its beef and its soldiers. Such is its beauty that it has been only slightly disfigured by a recent association with the noble Lord Mandelson, who has added "of Foy in the county of Herefordshire" to an already rather extensive title. I alert Mr Wright to that unfortunate precedent. Alas, we still look in vain for the tidal wave of public subsidy that usually accompanies Lord Mandelson wherever he goes.

My constituency stretches from the Black mountains in the west to the Forest of Dean. It encompasses the aptly named Golden valley; the gorgeous Monnow and Wye valleys; and Hereford itself, with its magnificent cathedral and Mappa Mundi. It has apple orchards, lovely churchyards, fine, rolling arable land, wildlife and pasture, stretching all the way down to Ross-on-Wye and the spectacular rock of Symonds Yat.

I am not, in fact, the first Norman to be returned to Parliament from Herefordshire; that honour goes to its very earliest representatives, Rogerus le Rus and Ricardus le Brut, who were summoned to meet at Westminster on 15 July 1290, in the reign of Edward I, barely 200 years after the Norman conquest-the first Norman conquest, that is. At the time, Herefordshire was regarded as the farthest outpost of western civilisation, a status which, some Herefordians would argue, it retains to this day. (lol)

pelmetman - 2012-01-20 11:07 PM

I feel at home in the Neolithic age :D

Hi Dave - I think some of the postings on this thread are totally childish and stupid ! We MUST stick to motorhome useful information.

Please could you help us work out the rear axle loadings for our van as we are searching e-bay for a pet T - rex ? !

Also how many traffic wardens do you think it may consume in a week ?

Thanks for any help you can give to put this thread back on track !

Mr B :D

Archived