Northern Lights tonight???

CliveH

This from Spaceweather.com :

Active sunspot 1401 erupted yesterday, Jan. 19th around 16:30 UT, producing an M3-class solar flare and a full-halo coronal mass ejection (CME). The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory recorded the cloud expanding almost directly toward Earth:

Analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab say strong geomagnetic storms are possible when the cloud arrives this weekend. Their animated forecast track predicts an impact on Jan. 21st at 22:30 UT (+/- 7 hrs).

I am NOT an expert but I think this means that – especially in northern bits of the UK - there is a chance that you could see the famous “Northen Lights” tonight

This animation from NASA gives some idea – I have no idea if the UK will actually be affected – but if it’s a clear night – it may be worth looking out for it.

http://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/downloads/20120119_183400_anim.tim-den.gif

Barryd999 - 2012-01-21 9:53 AM

I hope your right because if I'd just read the first two paragraphs I would have assumed we were all going to die!

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have I become an Alarmist???????

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Beautifully clear night last night - NOTHING

Have watched for the last 3 nights ............ nothing.

(Not helped by the fact that if it is low in the sky we would not see anything as we have a great lump of rock (hill) immediately behind us to the north :'(

Mr & Mrs Batty - 2012-01-24 4:41 PM

GREAT tip Clive - just told Mrs Batty the view is better from the pub this evening but she cant go incase it hurts her eyes !

Mr B ;-)

Go home pi$$ed from the pub and you'll see the northern lights. They will appear immediately after the sound of your frying pan colliding with your head :-S

Archived