The Press and disinformation and spin

CliveH

Apologies to those fed up with my occaisional rants about “Global Warming” and how some Alarmists like to hype up the rhetoric such that some think “We’re all gonna die!” - but here is another bit of spin that made me laugh.

One thing that I have noticed, being in the Financial world is that about 3 years ago the Alarmists tried to look at insurance claim details to “prove” that man made climate related disasters were on the increase. It was partly this that made me look at “Climate Change” in a bit more detail such that I realised what a crock this scare story actually is.

Well – the Alarmists have surpassed themselves this time – admittedly this particular bit of spin is from the Irish Times – I have not seen it repeated in UK MSM.

This is what appeared in the Irish Times:-

"GLOBALLY, 2010 was a year of weather-related disasters on an almost unprecedented scale. Last year was worse, with a record $380 billion in economic losses attributed to “natural” disasters, many climate-related, according to insurance giant Munich Re.

Few experts expect to see any break in this upward trend this year, or any time soon. Instead, as record emissions of greenhouse gases continue unabated, the climate system is now behaving precisely as scientists have been projecting for decades. The rapid build-up of energy in the system is the “engine” that is fuelling extremes, from storms and floods to severe droughts."

But the ORIGINAL piece in Scientific American ACTUALLY said :-

"Natural disasters around the world last year caused a record $380 billion in economic losses. That's more than twice the tally for 2010, and about $115 billion more than in the previous record year of 2005, according to a report from Munich Re, a reinsurance group in Germany. But other work emphasizes that it is too soon to blame the economic devastation on climate change.

Almost two-thirds of 2011's exceptionally high costs are attributable to two disasters unrelated to climate and weather: the magnitude-9.0 earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan in March, and February's comparatively small but unusually destructive magnitude-6.3 quake in New Zealand.

Amazing that the reporter saw fit to leave out the fact that almost two-thirds of 2011’s high costs are attributable to two disasters unrelated to climate and weather – the Japanese earthquake and Tsunarmi and the Christchurch NZ earthquake and try to make out that :–

“Few experts expect to see any break in this upward trend this year, or any time soon. Instead, as record emissions of greenhouse gases continue unabated, the climate system is now behaving precisely as scientists have been projecting for decades. The rapid build-up of energy in the system is the “engine” that is fuelling extremes, from storms and floods to severe droughts.”

Because if you take out the 2/3rds attributable to The Japanese and NZ earthquakes, of the cost mentioned the resulting total that could be attributable to "Climate Change" - man made or natural varience - is actually far lower than in previous years and is following a downward trend.

8-)

Guest Tracker

The truth does not sell newspapers and neither does it look and sound so dramatic on TV Clive, plus there is no vested interest in reducing all the climate change levies imposed by the goody two shoes Western 'democracies' purely to raise unjustified taxes to fund their own excesses.

Not to mention wind power that only works when you don't really need the extra power compared to tidal which is guaranteed to produce 24/7

I was intrigued to hear on the radio 2 news the other day that the next ice age (expected in 1500 years time) has been delayed by man made climate change...........................They neglected to say by how much the ice age had been delayed :-S Anyway, who wants to experience an ice age? During the last one the Midlands of the UK was under an average 1500 metres of ice! I think we stand a better chance of surviving a slight increase in global temperatures than we do an ice age!

D.

antony1969 - 2012-01-21 4:03 PM

I think global warming is happening and my paper The Daily Star has proved it . I have examined closely the tans on the page 3 birds are they are defo darker than in previous years .

As a coincidence I've also noticed this on the colour pages of Health and Efficiency 8-)

Strangely there's a white aerola around the aerola which proves that they are still relying on cucumber slices :-S

Archived