Cheapest Source for Honda Generator?

BGD

Hi all - just got back from our latest motorhome chug, this time it was 3 weeks around the south of Spain and Portugal Algarve regions, wild-camping all the way.

Now we're doing much more wildcamping than sites/aires with electric hookups, I'd like to engance our ability to top up our leisure batteries when static for many days) as we tend to park up the MH for many days at a time, and use the 125 cc scooter to explore the area.

In winterish months, with one of those Truma combi heaters which is 12volt power hungry, as well as other 12 volt equipment, our combination of 80 watt roof-mounted solar panel and two, both ancient, mismatched 70 amp and 95 amp leisure batteries aren't really up to the job.

So I've just had fitted in Portugal two new monster 125 amp leisure batteries fitted, for a VERY good cash price of €300 by Ian, a chap who does solar power and electrical kit for motorhomes, and who comes out to your van to fit, anywhere along the west half of the Algarve coast of Portugal....roughly Lagos to Sagres.

(If anyone is down that way, be aware that the Motorhome dealer/workshop/spares business that used to be on the N125 about halfway along the Algarve has shut down; so if you are there and need batteries, solar panels, inverters, or even has other 12volt problems, I can recommend this Ian chap as VERY useful. His home-based business is called "Solar Solutions", and his phone number is: 00351 912 863600).

But I also want to have a generator as backup, both for leisure battery charging, and also to run some of the more higher wattage mains electrical kit that our little 200watt inverter can't handle.

I've done a bit of research, and the Honda EU10 "briefcase" style generator appears to be the favourite - I've even seen one a couple of days ago when a neighbour wildcamping next to us showed us how his worked, and just how quiet it is in operation.

It's light weight and small dimensions also mean that it can be stored down beside my seat in the MH.

But, prices here in Spain for these Honda generators seem to be MUCH higher than in the UK - a local retail distributor is quoting a list price of €1298, and a cash price of €1200.

I've already seen this same Honda EU10 for a lot less than that via a couple of UK distributors....to the point where even if I pay for the hefty delivery to Spain costs on top, I'll still save a lot of dosh

So, question: any recommendations please for lowest priced UK source for a Honda EU10 briefcase generator, either new, or second-hand nearly new?

Ta mutchly! :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Certainly going by Brambles links cheaper to buy here, even with postage what do you think £100?

But would it not be worth waiting a bit and see how you get on with the new batteries first?

Hi BGD

E-bay gives you a price guide for New or Used units

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=honda+eu10i

But this one may be of particular interest:-

http://www.tidyco.co.uk/store/honda/generators/generatordetail.asp?ProductID=139

£570.00 Excl VAT (see below)

Overseas orders will normally take 7-10 days to deliver

How is sales tax calculated?

Depending on the order delivery location we will charge VAT within the UK. We will not charge VAT on orders delivered outside the UK.

But I assume you will have to pay Spanish VAT when importing.

BGD - 2012-01-21 6:10 PM

Hi all - just got back from our latest motorhome chug, this time it was 3 weeks around the south of Spain and Portugal Algarve regions, wild-camping all the way.

Now we're doing much more wildcamping than sites/aires with electric hookups, I'd like to engance our ability to top up our leisure batteries when static for many days) as we tend to park up the MH for many days at a time, and use the 125 cc scooter to explore the area.

In winterish months, with one of those Truma combi heaters which is 12volt power hungry, as well as other 12 volt equipment, our combination of 80 watt roof-mounted solar panel and two, both ancient, mismatched 70 amp and 95 amp leisure batteries aren't really up to the job.

So I've just had fitted in Portugal two new monster 125 amp leisure batteries fitted, for a VERY good cash price of €300 by Ian, a chap who does solar power and electrical kit for motorhomes, and who comes out to your van to fit, anywhere along the west half of the Algarve coast of Portugal....roughly Lagos to Sagres.

(If anyone is down that way, be aware that the Motorhome dealer/workshop/spares business that used to be on the N125 about halfway along the Algarve has shut down; so if you are there and need batteries, solar panels, inverters, or even has other 12volt problems, I can recommend this Ian chap as VERY useful. His home-based business is called "Solar Solutions", and his phone number is: 00351 912 863600).

But I also want to have a generator as backup, both for leisure battery charging, and also to run some of the more higher wattage mains electrical kit that our little 200watt inverter can't handle.

I've done a bit of research, and the Honda EU10 "briefcase" style generator appears to be the favourite - I've even seen one a couple of days ago when a neighbour wildcamping next to us showed us how his worked, and just how quiet it is in operation.

It's light weight and small dimensions also mean that it can be stored down beside my seat in the MH.

But, prices here in Spain for these Honda generators seem to be MUCH higher than in the UK - a local retail distributor is quoting a list price of €1298, and a cash price of €1200.

I've already seen this same Honda EU10 for a lot less than that via a couple of UK distributors....to the point where even if I pay for the hefty delivery to Spain costs on top, I'll still save a lot of dosh

So, question: any recommendations please for lowest priced UK source for a Honda EU10 briefcase generator, either new, or second-hand nearly new?

Ta mutchly! :-D

Why don't you go for a Kipor 1000w one, just as good as the honda, but way less than half the price. I've got the 2600 w one and it's good.

Must say I felt the same as Peter but thought you were stuck on the Honda. The Kippor is at least as good and less than half the price, friend has one and it compares very favourably to the Honda.

Kippor were taken to task for patent infringments, I understand that they used to make the generators for Honda's in China and started badging and selling them as theirs so they were exactly the same machine, now they sell their own product which is a very favourable machine with a better spec at less than half the price

Bas

Hi BGD

If it is any help I am driving out to Benidorm mid to late March and would be pleased to bring it out for you.

Could collect it from a supplier at a push so long as they are not too far off either the A1 or M1 or M25

Syd - you are indeed a Good Man.

Still researching at the moment - but if I do end up getting one from the UK I'll bear your uber-fantastic offer in mind.......I'll PM you with any UK-purchasing developments!

Many thanks again mate. :-D

I too have been looking for a generator and have seen the Kippor generators for sale at really good prices, however when google-ing ' to google' for reviews i found lots of owners reporting plastic bits breaking off and premature failures of the inverter board. But if they are as good as some on this forum say i will have another look please feel free to extol the virtues of the Kippor.

Archived