Which GPS to buy MUST be able to use lat & long entries

plumbersvan

The difficulty trying to answer Fiona’s original question is that, even if a sat-nav recommended by a forum-member has a ‘latitude/longitude’ capability, there’s no guarantee that it won’t be lacking some other facility that her old Garmin device has, or that she’d now like to have.

For example, it would appear from the downloadable Garmin Owner’s Manual that all devices in the Nuvi 1100/1200/1300/1400 Series have the ability to navigate to a destination using lat/long coordinates in several formats. But only some of the devices in the Nuvi 1100/1200/1300/1400 Series have Bluetooth, or Lane Assist, or Junction View, or Speed Limits on Map features.

In principle, any of the just-mentioned Garmin Nuvi sat-navs would suit Fiona provided that it had UK/European mapping: in practice, a highly desirable feature (or features) may well be omitted from the cheaper models.

When I decided to buy a sat-nav I looked at a barrel-load of on-line reviews, concentrating mainly on the negative comments. I didn’t want to pay a great deal for the device, as I had no previous sat-nav-using experience and wasn’t sure how useful, or not, the various advertised features would prove to be. Eventually I settled for a Garmin Nuvi 1340 that’s proven to be useful most of the time (and exasperating occasionally!)

I’ve browsed some of the TomTom-related forums and, although it seems possible to reprogram the menu systems of some of the devices so that simplified menus are replaced or given certain characteristics/features provided on earlier models, I’ve read nothing to make me confident that this would add an omitted lat/long capability.

If Fiona wishes to hack about with her Tom-Tom’s guts, there’s a link provided in the penultimate posting on the following webpage that may help:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-XL-XXL-HOME/Tomtom-XL-GPS-cannot-take-GPS-coordinates/td-p/32029/page/2

As a cynical old ex-programmer, I’d put attempting to introduce a lat/long capability into an ‘Easy Menu’ Tom-Tom XL that hasn’t got that feature as standard, with (I assume) no background in carrying out that type of task and via a wi-fi hotspot, at the very top of a list headed “Simple ways to screw up a sat-nav device”.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derek Uzzell - 2012-02-06 4:17 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-02-05 6:05 PM

So, it seems you have a TomTom XL Classic, that you bought mail order, or online.

I can't find a Classic XL on TomTom's website, but I can find a Classic XXL...

Darty's website refers to a "Tom Tom XL Europe Classic".............................

Thanks Derek, I wrote that bit before I got onto TomTom's French website, and when I did, I didn't think to check for different models available in France. Definitely confirms no SD slot, and not much memory!

Mine now needs the SD to hold the upgraded European maps (each upgrade is a larger file than the last!), struggles a bit to handle the extra data - so I've deleted the guides and unwanted voices etc to free up more memory - and has all my POIs loaded onto the SD. Without the SD expansion, it would now be useless!

:-S I followed your link,thankyou :-S I will look at the site when i park near a mac donalds since it needs time :-S

I find it increadable that NO ONE has provided the SIMPLE solution,which is not rewriting the tom tom program in selected files

All thats needed is somone that has a proper old tom tom which can uses lat/long to copy ALL the files from that tom tom,to be copied by ME i would remove ALL my files replace them with ALL the older files :-D

The person uploading files could open their poi files and deleat those personal details if they dont want them to be used

Once i instal the old files,check all is working as it will be i would update my maps speed cameras checking each change is compatable :-D I would then have a working tom tom

8-)

I wont buy another GPS online,the ONLY reason i did so this time was that Darty is normaly a good shop and respect the Garentee unfortunatly the staff in Darty Nimes were rude unhelpful nor only to me but others in the cue as i saw while i looked at a samsung galaxy which was connected *-)

I think you will find that software files are specific to each model of GPS.

When you download software updates there is usually a warning to check that the software you are about to download is the correct one for your model of GPS. I don't know about Tom Tom but certainly Garmin issue this warning.

Using software files from another model onto your model of GPS and there is a very good chance that it will not work at all.

The XL XXL are the same

Yes each tom tom IS differant :-D But an XL from 2010 2009 XXL or one?Are the same ive seen on forums that i need version xxx i forget at this secon :-S I did post on GPS underground,tom tom forum and others where there were clear instructions on how to go back to an older working version B-)

Unfortunatly the files have gone :-S I think this problem has been about for a very long time,so long,that no one seem to think the file might still be needed by fools that bought junk tom tom stock without spending a few days doing research 8-)

Today i found a post to say tom tom USA has put out a repair which goes some way to addressing easy menue problems but seems to bring other issues and its not clear(as i havent read the full post yet)If it re loads the lat/long :-S

Fiona

As you are confident that a) simply wiping everything from your current Tom-Tom's storage and loading a complete copy of a different Tom-Tom model's software/data will provide a solution to your lat/long problem and b) that you have the necessary skills to do this, can we now leave you to pursue that course of action?

I don't think this will work, and I can't see it being practicable for an Out&AboutLive forum-member to provide you with a copy of the software/data that you are seeking. I believe that everything that can usefully be said from the UK forum-members' end has been and, if you are going to disregard the advice and warnings that have been offered and go it alone, further discussion will just waste everybody's time.

Good luck - but, if your wipe/copy efforts convert a working sat-nav with no lat/long feature into a non-working sat-nav with no features, don't be surprised.

I've just looked at my TomTom's file structure and there are about 30 individual files and another 25 folders of system files etc.

All these would need to be backed up and then the new files (actually copies from a 'working' device) would need to be loaded. These files would also include the map provided with the donor unit and be set up to work as the donor owner specified.

My view, very risky.

NO not at all :-D

Iread on a tom tom forum that that is the way to do it:It works i copy ALL the files on my tom tom to my laptop :'( That is move them.My tom tom has then NO files :'( :-S

I then load ALL the files from another older XL XXL & have a working tom tom :-D Then i can add or change files until im happy or the tom tom crashes/freezes that i see was the advantage of a tom tom cant do that with Garmin

Once i copy ALL my files to a laptop i can always deleat any files i have on my tom tom and replace all the origalan files returning it to its usless state

If it was as complicated as instling say Linux puppy i would NEVER manage i MIGHT try to copy the lists given in tom tom forums but there other memebers say it wont work,others that have done it the way i was show have done it with 100% succsses sadly the file links which remain have had the file download removed

We were down the smoke visiting daughter today so took opportunity to do some shopping. Wandered Currys looking for a replacement for our expensive Tomtom Go 750 which has developed a so called looping fault when it was just out of warranty, we only use it in the car. TT want silly money to repair it, I was going for a Garmin but was suprised to see a Snooper Ventura S 2000 on clearance offer for £169 brand new in sealed box, went for that and have been playing around with it this evening, well chuffed what a nice easy to use interface and well loaded with camping POI's etc. To cap it all a 2 year warranty instead of TT's paltry 12 months.

plumbersvan - 2012-02-09 7:19 PM

NO not at all :-D

Iread on a tom tom forum that that is the way to do it:It works i copy ALL the files on my tom tom to my laptop :'( That is move them.My tom tom has then NO files :'( :-S

I then load ALL the files from another older XL XXL & have a working tom tom :-D Then i can add or change files until im happy or the tom tom crashes/freezes that i see was the advantage of a tom tom cant do that with Garmin

Once i copy ALL my files to a laptop i can always deleat any files i have on my tom tom and replace all the origalan files returning it to its usless state

If it was as complicated as instling say Linux puppy i would NEVER manage i MIGHT try to copy the lists given in tom tom forums but there other memebers say it wont work,others that have done it the way i was show have done it with 100% succsses sadly the file links which remain have had the file download removed

It is impractical for anyone on the forum to pass you a complete set of files - however, as you run into loads of other people/campers, why dont you get a guinea pig to allow you to copy thir full Tomtom fileset onto your laptop.

Once you have copied your current fileset onto the laptop as backup, you can then play around to your heart's content trying to replicate the donor system on your Tomtom.

If it all goes tits up, you have your files backed up.

Yes.Today the tom tom went into a bin(in my new camping car)I wanted to get to eleclerc in Ales i was 11kms away and tom tom sent me to Abanas which is about 80kms away i couldnt do anything to change it not even when 2kms away from eleclerc which an enormouse sign giveing driections

I wanted the gps as i missed a roundabout once before,my Garmin helped and i took the Nimes direction not Ales even though its in central Ales

Tom tom is now in the past mainly becouse im now moving on :-S B-) and wont have as much time to enjoy a large coffee in a warm cafe with wi-fi :-S Back to Mac donalds etc :-|

I'm afraid it seems that you and technology are not a good mix ;-)

Surely, you would check the routa that ANY sat nav had programmed and it would be obvious that 11km would not take however long it said it would be for 80km.

Find someone with a Tomtom and change your files OR

Chuck it in the bin OR

Buy a new Tomtom that you are comfy with OR

Good luck but cant do anymore I'm afraid.

plumbersvan - 2012-02-10 6:07 PM

Yes.Today the tom tom went into a bin (in my new camping car)

:-|

Come on Fiona, you have got us all on tenterhooks now. *-) :-o

You did mention a Hymer available back in the UK, but you haven't had time to come home & go back out to France.

So what is your "new camping car"

:'( I didnt intend to say anything unfortunatly i was happy :-D

The "new" van is new it only has one trip from Braintree to Antibes(France)My arnt decided "camping" wasnt what it once was :'( My Uncle bought a new camper in 2010 which they used to make a slow journey to their French property

So far all was well.They had a call from the secrity service they use to look after their things down hear,to say the French customs wanted to know exactly how long their camping car would be parked on French soil 8-)

My arnt called me, i agreed to take charge of it,and have found a "garage" at a camping for mine :-S They more or less decided to give it up and bought another property in the USA 8-)

I can use it for as long as i wish,my uncle said that to sell it to a dealer would mean a large loss and he thought i could make good use of it for a couple of seasons before selling it for them :-D

It has a HUGE bathroom a vast dining table but suffers the same freezing of the grey water as mine :-S

Its not much longer than mine nor much wider or higher altogether i was terrified of hitting somthing 8-) As it turned out its quite easy to drive :-D

I wont say what they had thought of my choise of camping van but its been great fun allowed me to try and enjoy camping caring while learning how to maintain the mechanics :-S

It has a gps so ill use that :-S Just in case ive taken my Garmin with me B-)

Im off in the morning stopping in Montpellier then it depends on the snow or cold i will go somwhere though *-)

So no more posts from me about that dreadful tom tom in fact no more posts until/if i find another cafe with wi-fi, Should i go south to Spain i might not find wi.fi for ages :-(

Will look in as soon as i can,now im sending an email then back to my new borrowed camping van which is plugged in warm comfortable running water but the grey water might be frozen :'( 8-)

plumbersvan - 2012-02-11 4:46 PM

Im off in the morning stopping in Montpellier then it depends on the snow or cold i will go somwhere though

So no more posts from me about that dreadful tom tom in fact no more posts until/if i find another cafe with wi-fi...

FLUNCH restaurants quite often have wi-fi - there's a couple in Montpellier with it (and you should get a better meal than at McDonald's).

http://pro.flunch.fr/Flunch_Pro_Bienvenue.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

:-S I couldnt have told you anything other than it was a Fiat :'(

Im now travelling about in a Fiat Pilote Aventura 130 multijet(it says in chrome plastic 8-) 6.70m long 2.30 m wide and far to high 8-) 8-) In Montpellier driving from Ikea where i didnt find a lamp,Darty where i returned the tom tom charger for repair heading back to St Agens where another large shoping center with LEDs Bread i almost took the top off 8-) 8-)

In my campingvan i can drive under a low railway bridge which i had forgotten about since my last visit in 2009 in this Fiat i was 2/3 feet to high,i stopped just in time *-) And had to make a very very long detour without bridges that are to low for me now :-S

I found i was also unable to shop in several supermarkets as the hight limit was between 2.20 &2.30m

One other coment this camper has a water tank with about 30 gallons which is about twice the water mine has,BUT where as my water supply lasts from one week to one month(when its frozen) *-) The water supply in this Pilot only lasted 2 days and now about 4/5 days Maximum 8-) :-S :-S

Also the storage under the bed is huge and so hard to use unless full as anything (my bike in a bag) fly about.Anyway it is very comfortable but very big,so far ive only hit a small tree and a low cement wall :-|

The tom tom is as hopless as ever to my shock this camper DOSNT have a GPS built in *-)

:-D Enjoying very much im in a 12c town in the hills between Carcassone & Narbonne,at lunch time i could enjoy a shower(no windows though :-S )which is an improvement 8-)

One worry with "new" Campers is devaluation looking for a part for mine several garages told me that the maximum life of a vehical support is maximum 10 years 8-) :-S And i was shown a Ford (car) which may have to be scraped after just 6 years and a Opel which had cost they said 30,000€ which was scrap after just 4 years 8-) 8-) As no gearbox was to be found,t :'(

If a camping car costs say £30,000 new then IF it lasts 10 years before being scraped then thats quite a depreciation

Yes its luck that they had decided to move to the USA when all this happened :-D Im planning a trip to Portugal then in summer Hungry Budapest(while i have freinds and family living there while they work or study.Of course for reasons to do with their neibough Romania i would have to stay on a camping.

When last in Budapest in October i told the tourist office i was parked in town with a camping car :-S They were amazed 8-) And said i WOULD be told to move,i had in fact parked in an embassy grounds

I must add i went to Budapest only then back to France now i would like to drive into the contryside

I dont know where to go next :-S Soon i will have to find water :'( It is amazing how much it uses 8-) I will also have to fill with deisel NOT petrol as i nearly filled with :-|

Im at a tourist office now where im alowed a connection i dont know when ill find another as i will only be in a large town to fill with diesel and gas before returning to this wonderful rural medieval part of France which i havnt been to before

On the GPS question i just dont know what to buy *-) The ones that list lat and long cost 300€ and the Garmin,at least my old one after just one year no longer finds the roads,instead it tells me to take every farm track that might head in the direction i want to go 8-) In that respect the new tom tom dose tend to keep to the main road, B-) I must use both the tom tom for the main direction then the Garmin to find the aire when i arrive *-)

:-S Im still TRYING :-S :-S To use the tom tom but today i needed a leleclerc super mkt and the tom tom sent me to Lyon (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) It took several mins to plan the route 8-)

My antic Garmin found lecclerc in Cassason within a few seconds(and from where im posting from the elecerc cafe

How can i make tom tom find a supermarket NEAR to me? 8-)

plumbersvan - 2012-02-23 11:28 AM

:-S Im still TRYING :-S :-S To use the tom tom but today i needed a leleclerc super mkt and the tom tom sent me to Lyon (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) It took several mins to plan the route 8-)

My antic Garmin found lecclerc in Cassason within a few seconds(and from where im posting from the elecerc cafe

How can i make tom tom find a supermarket NEAR to me? 8-)

If you are using the information (POIs) pre-installed on your satnav they may be incomplete or out of date depending on the information available prior to the date of manufacture..

Many supermarkets have their own installable POIs which can be installed and updated via their Internet site.

Alternatively there are a number of sites which gather together information by country and POI category which can be used to update your satnav (http://www.poiedit.com/ and http://www.poihandler.com/ are a couple I use - there are many more - not forgetting Archie for camping http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/ ).

The TomTom and Garmin POIs come in different formats - you can download and install the one suitable for each device. There is information on both the TomTom and Garmin websites on how to do this.

Archived