fiat2.3

jsbc

Hi I wonder if anyone out there can help.As an ex owner of a fiat 1999 2.8 how do the 2007 2.3 fiats compare .My last motorhome was a swift royale 630l and i am looking to buy a 2007 630l but they are mostly 2.3 liter I am concerned that it will be under powered.

Guest JudgeMental
2.3 a great engine, the 2.8 agricultural in comparison. drive it to make sure your hapy ........ Be careful mind with a 2007 vintage X250, as this was when they where introduced, and the dreaded Fiat "reverse judder" a real issue. Make sure van has had the recalls and fixes and test it yourself.....

Our previous motorhome was a Rapido 710F with 2.8JTD Fiat engine. In some respects too much power for a very light/ smallish motorhome, although I did find it lost power when climbing hills and using the Air con!. It was very easy to drive.

We now have a Burstner Marano with the X250 2.3 engine, and the flexibility and driveability is simply amazing. The clutch is much lighter,and indeed I find the motorhome easier to drive (apart from size!) than my car.

I suppose you pay a penalty in some respects, and even though it is a low profile motorhome, the fuel consumption is not (IMO) good....in UK around 24 mpg,in France about 25+.

Yes, as advised check that the reverse judder work has been done (ie clutch replaced) - mine has, and i have the documentation to prove this - I am not sure if this will always be provided by the Fiat Dealer who did the work, but i made sure that mine would do so.

I have a 2008 Swift 630L on a 2.3 litre 6 speed. As stated above the engine is very smooth and pulls well. I too was concerned it may be underpowered and pondered specifiying the 3.0 Litre engine. I'm convinced now there was no need for the extra power. The 2.3L can propel the van at frightning speeds on the German Autobahn. The advantage you would gain with a 3.0L would be not having to drop down from 6th gear on some long motorway drags. But that is what the gearbox is for.

The Swift 630L is a popular motorhome and I have spoken to many owners over the years, none have complained about the performance of a 2.3L engine.

The Fiat 2.3litre 130bhp powerplant fitted to a 2007 motorhome produced significantly more bhp and torque than a 1999 Fiat 2.8litre motor, and there was a 6-speed gearbox rather than the oddly-geared 5-speed transmission of the 1999 version.

However, the Swift Sundance 630L is not a small motothome (and built on a 4-tonne 'maxi' chassis), so (as AliB advises) it shouldn't be expected that 6th-gear can be used constantly up hill and down dale.

Road test on:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/userfiles/file/MMM%20historic%20road%20tests/Roller%20Team%20Auto-Roller%20600%20v%20Swift%20Sundance%20630L%202007.pdf

Archived