ABS & ASR lights on 2004 Ducato 2.8 JTD

wints

I recently had trouble with the ABS & ASR lights being permanently illuminated on my van.

I got it fixed and posted such on the fiat forum, and now on here.

Hope it helps others.

''ABS & ASR lights on

Hymer (2004 Ducato 2.8 JTD) went into garage for work to remedy the ASR & ABS lights being permanently on.

It was diagnosed as being the castellated ABS sensor ring attached to the off-side front CV joint which had split and was no longer functioning correctly.

Over the last few months I've heard a faint 'whistling' which was more noticable when going round 'long' bends. Garage man said this was start of the sensor ring breaking up.

As I took the van to the garage I also felt 'metal on metal' when braking, so I had them look at the brakes.

Off-side front pads worn down such that the metal backing plate was touching the outside edge of the disc.

This had only happened that morning, and the garage man said hardly any scoring to the disc so new pads only.

So, replace front pads £34.11 (+£40 labour), replace CV joint £48.16 (+£44 labour), fault code check & clear £25.49....all plus 20% vat total £230.11.

It sounds a lot, but I'd got visions of £500+ as I drove it to the garage.

Taylors Garage, Clifton, Preston. 01772 682789''

regards

Allen

ps I've had the following work done at this garage...replacement cambelt, injector leads, part exhaust replacement.

• 5 years later...

Surprised that this is the only post on this issue though that may mean it isn't much of an issue. I bring it back to life because I have the very same symptoms. The ABS and ASR lights come on but go of then come on again but I just had the from discs and pads replaced. Is this relevant ?

It might be relevant?

We had a MH in with the same issue after a 'front brake' rebuild by another Garage.

We found the ABS sensor wiring was damaged on one side.

The cable had been disturbed during the brake work and re-routed incorrectly so it became chaffed.

Might be worth a look at the wiring, hydraulics and the ABS sensor rings.

Thanks for the support on this issue, it has to more than a coincidence that I recently had new discs and pads fitted and so few forum members responded to the post suggests it isn't an issue.

Most 'issues' are easy to spot with many posts and responses to those posts.

I'm just thinking that if this problem has been caused by poor routing of the sensor cable would I be able to spot a chafed sensor cable if I rolled the van up onto ramps ?

The mechanic would be a treasure if he coughed-up to dropping a clanger after even doing an excellent job on the discs and pads though I doubt that would happen.

Thank you, I won't be doing this myself.

Because I recently had two jobs done on front brakes the cynic in me says someone may have done something wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. So I'm having a look.

What I have found is that whoever fitted new brake hoses didn't correctly route that sensor that comes out of the nearside calliper so it's been chafing on the inside of the wheel rim. Presumably it's the sensor for worn pads ?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it was the ABS sensor ring and I won't buy it from the same dealer again. They said they had stock for next day delivery but the parts will finally take a week because they are coming from France. No biggy, it wasn't urgent but if my van had been on a lift for a week it may have irritated whoever was dealing with the repair.

I bought two rings, I wonder what the chances are that the other side will go shortly ?

What next then ?

Archived