First Tour of Europe or Norway

crbtaylor

Although we have toured Europe previously (on a m/cycle!) and taken a caravan abroad on several occasions to fixed sights we have never taken our motorhome abroad and camped ad hoc. Is there a secret to finding a campsite or over night stop en roue. At the moment we are sort of thinking of travelling to Greece, ferry to Italy and returning home over 3 months OR going anther propose trip is to travel to North Cape in Norway. Probably starting out in May. Its all a bit in the air at the moment but we are looking for any advice or tips from you guys. We don't consider ourselves to be novices or experts!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

We use ‘Camperstop Europe’, ACSI Camping Card and ‘The Official Guide’ to aires. Occasionally we use Camping Cheques.

Also, I find that the Motorhomefacts website a good source of information for all types of sites – aires, wild, overnight parking and proper campsites. The Campingcar Infos is good for aires. The Magbaz site is also useful as it covers several countries.

If you Google ‘stellplatze’ (Germany), ‘sostas’ (Italy) and ‘aires’ (France) as well as all the different books and sites mentioned above you will find loads of information.

Simply asking a specific question on this forum will often result in lots of useful information.

I also keep a personal file of campsites and aires etc. across Europe.

I will PM you our itinerary of Norway.

Cattwg :-D

Hi, what a difference of destinations! I intend to travel early this year to Denmark, Sweden and Norway before dropping back down to Berlin in Germany and then home in just over a month. Last year i did France for a month then Italy for a month and then travelled from Ancona to Greece (Pelopenese) for a month before making my way back home through Germany and Belgium. I used the internet, All the Aires Of France and the German Reise Mobile Bord Atlas for Aires/Sostas as I travelled through France and Italy as well as a combination of Camping books (Camping Cheque and ACSI) when needed.( I find the CC and CCC overseas books give sites that are too expensive). I have to say that the cost of the ferry from Ancona to Patras and Patras to Venice was very very expensive compared with the rest of the costs of the trip so I hope you have plenty of money!

I think you need at least a month in Norway if possible if you want to see the best of it.

(Minimum of six weeks if you are going to North Cape).

If you go to fjord region ( i.e. south west of Norway ) roads can be blocked with snow til mid June.

Also in Norway don't expect to do high mileages per day.

;-)

We did a trip to Norway last year, we too left in May , Dover Calais,and drove through Belgium, Holland ,Germany to Putgarten, got the Ferry there to Rodbyhaven in Denmark, drove via Coppenhagen to Helsinger Denmark , crossed by Ferry to Helsingborg in Sweden, 
drove up through Sweden and crossed into Norway  via Grong [ Norway ] then toured Norway, and the return journey back to Sweden to the Oresund Bridge where we crossed back into Denmark, we were away nearly 4 months with no real plan, just follow  our noses, a fantastic trip, no booking of Ferries necessary, just turn up and board a Ferry, all very easy, we bought the Vicarious books Aires to Scandinavia and found overnight stops with no problems,we wild camped the whole time except for 2 nights on a Campsite in Gerainger which cost 20 Euros a night, bargain for where it was, the Bridge Toll was on a par with the ferry costs  and we have an eight metre van, so  it makes little difference in costs  whichever route you take. we have also done a tour of the Pelopanese in Greece, we crossed by ferry  from  Venice  to Patras, 35 hours but you  sleep in your van on a special Camper deck,van connected to electricity, again we wild camped the whole 6 weeks we were in Greece on beaches  and Harbours, another fantastic trip, on both trips wild camping was easy, no problems at all, plenty of toilet dumping places and water available all over, go for it you will have a great time.

Guest JudgeMental

Have been up to Swedish Lapland 3 times now and did not find it that expensive...Campsites cheap as chips and If you have main meal at lunch time eating out good value as well...drink expensive mind.

"A “Dagens rätt” (dish of the day) is available in most restaurants at lunchtime, which is served from about 11am to 2pm. It costs from about SEK 60-90 (from £6) for a main course (often with a choice), bread and butter, salad, soft drink and coffee."

If there are lots of vehicles in car park...stop! :-D

Archived