Easter in Holland any tips

Caroline

We are off to Holland over Easter staying with the CC&C rally at Delftse Hout, we are taking the tunnel (thanks Tesco’s).

Travelling on a straight quick route from France through Belgium and into Holland is there anything we should be aware of (been reading about the breathalisers).

What is there to do around Delft?

We have bikes so a short distance is not a problem.

Have you found a gem? are the bulb fields good?

Seen Floriade and although it looks interesting we are not big horticulturists, but we know what a Tulip is.

We have been on that Rally twice now and each time we have had nice weather and a really good time. Last year we went and met up with an Australian couple and a couple from Brighton. I have to say the company was brilliant!

Delft is a very pretty town and it walkable from the site, or take your bikes (and chains to lock them up with). If you go round the back by the canal there is a fish stall that sells "Kibling" which is fried pieces of fish like our Fish n Chips, only nicer. If you go to the cafes in the square look for the one that sells "Poffertjes" they are little pancakes like the old flying saucer sweets we used to get as kids. If you google them you will find them. They are to die for, as is the Choc O Mel - hot chocolate drink.

If you turn left out of the site and go down to the end of the road to the T junction and again turn left, you then need to turn right and head towards a windmill. There is a very nice restaurant there where you can eat Dutch food. Just look around at what the locals eat. Everyone speaks very good English so you will be fine.

Ikea there does breakfast for 1 Euro - we didn't try that one, but our Brighton friends did.

We found the cycling very easy and we found it very relaxing.

Just one thing, not sure what your Motorhome is like, but just before the site there is a 3m Bridge that you need to be aware of, especially if you have a Sat Dome on top.

Have a lovely time, I wish we were going back there this year, but we had to buy a new TV and we spent all our money on that. :'(

We enjoyed the bulb fields and the gardens at Kirkenhof a few years ago.

Really I think if it is your first time in Holland it would be worth looking at some guide books before you go, We like "Rough Guide" and "Lonely Planet"

Why not also ask the Dutch Tourist Board (I believe there is an office in London which you can contact) for info on areas you will be in? In the past we have found them most helpful. The site you are staying on has, in the past, been equally helpful with information and I'm sure the "Rally Leaders" will have info for you.

If you do some research in advance you will be able to plan to see the places which appeal to you - I think you will have a super time. Despite some adverse comments on another thread we have found Dutch people to be very fiendly and helpful with most speaking excellent English. (In many years of visiting The Netherlands and meeting Dutch people elsewhere in Europe we have only found 2 individuals to be less than polite.....and one of those was a harrassed waitress who soon became much nicer.)

The Netherlands is also very geared up for cyclists........good dedicated cycle routes, traffic lights for cyclists ............and lots of flat terrain. There are some super cycle routes from the Delft campsite to local villages, including Pijnacker and (if memory services me right) Noordop. We enjoyed such rides in the evenings.

Been to rally before, good stewards , Pete and Jenny. They arrange trips out to the gardens at Kirkenhof , trips on the canals and meals on site . All worth doing ,good cycling arround the lakes and the the town itself is nice. Ikea i would avoid as it is bank holiday and crowded.Also the site is good.

thanks Mel and Mickt, I have been doing research but there does not seem to be a lot at the moment, I am hoping that there are some bits arranged that we can do, sometimes i have found people come up with some lovely hidden jems that are not on the tourist map........I must admit it is not my first time to Holland but the first to this area, went somewhere with red lights before.....

I too have found the Dutch a very pleasant and helpful race, having worked with some dutch people i know a few words but not sure if they are suitable for polite company!!

(lol)

We have used the site at Delft many times in February half-term and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The site is good with warm, clean facilities. The walk in to Delft is pleasant and we found Delft a good base to see more of Holland, using public transport , thus leaving the van as a base back on site.

We have taken the train into Amsterdam several times- trains are frequent and comfortable. We also have used the train for Leiden, which is an interesting town, and also for Dordrecht. We have used the tram to get into Den Haag and also to go onto the coast at Sheveningen, which was good for walks along the front.

On leaving Delft we have visited Gouda which was lovely.

On another note, the site will give details of a great motorhome and caravan dealer, on the other side of Delft, which has a great accessory shop.

Shops, restaurants and coffee shops in Delft are good and plentiful. Much appreciated when the weather has been below freezing!!

Enjoy!

Susan

Archived