Dental Implants

takeaflight

You may think it strange to post a question on teeth here, however I have tried to get a ball park figure from dentists but their answers are so evasive, I thought someone here may have an idea.

During the last year I have had a bone graft and 4 implants, all good, knew exactly what I was in for, with everything in writing including the costs.

During that time my dentist who I get on well with and his work is first class, as seen me four times to produce a model of my jaw for the above. Since being signed off by the surgeon who carried out the bone graft and implants I have seen my guy twice, to arrange the making of the 4 tooth bridge to screw into the implants. The final fix is arranged for the 6th Feb, on my last visit he calmly announced the bill will be £4450, no prior discussion.

I just got the feeling the figure was plucked out of the air, I talked to someone else who was charged £270 for a normal filling and £900 for a veneer, so maybe the 4450 is not so bad but it was the way in which it was done that peed me off.

Have any of you felt that you have been strung by a dentist ?

Toothless Roy

Roy

A few years ago I spent a small fortune on extensive remedial dental work, about £3.5k in total and involving upper and lower partial dentures. My Dentist offered me implants but at an estimated £2k per tooth I passed as I could not find£20k anywhere. I have to say that while I hate the dentures with a passion I accept that the need for them is totally down to myself and my Dentist has been fantastic throughout even discounting some of the work because it went better than he'd expected (total cost was originally estimated at over £4k). Saddest part is he should be retiring soon so I'll have to get used to a new one.

D.

bob b - 2012-01-26 7:45 PM

Why don't you get some European quotes? Just had a google and there is a dental practice in Budapest that promise to beat any quote and also offer complete packages, accommodation, etc.

Being a coward I will stay with my dentist.

But being a Brumie who are renown for "value for money" it's hard to come to terms with 4450 for a bit of plastic. Makes a motorhome seem cheep.

• 2 months later...

Err - I think the blast post may be spam - but that said - Roy - you may be interested in a court case where an Anaesthetist tried to claim far more than was expected or indeed deemed reasonable.

Like all things these days - you should be given a clear idea for the cost of the service to be provided.

I have seen a hastily produced invoice from a Private Hospital that when challenged on "extras" applied to a patients bill and sent the Exeter Friendly Society whom the patient was insured with, included a Disposable Razor costed to the patient at £22. 8-)

Other items were just as outrageous. So it does pay to be specific, check what you are paying for and do not take any nonsense

http://www.hi-mag.com/health-insurance/product-area/pmi/article384752.ece

My son has Cerebral Palsy with a lot of muscle tone (spasticity). When he was younger,to ease the muscle tone, the doctors prescribed a medicine to be give first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening.

What they did not tell us was that this stuff rotted teeth so extra care should have been taken, the result is Lee now has a mouth full of bad teeth.

We are now faced with having to do something about this as it would be imposible for him to control false teeth.

We have visited a cosmetic dentist who has quoted around £3500 but we have yet to get down to the exact nitty gritty of exactly what it is that he proposes to do.

We may also have the problem of low bone density as an additional complication.

Returning to the dentists in June after our holiday.

Sounds about then going rate for the work if done well. My dentist is not cheap but he is good and always gives me a quote. Unfortunately for me I have a phobia about dentists and whilst I've been quite happy to have operations in the past performed with local anaesthetics there is no way I could have dental work done without a GA which nowadays means employing the services of a qualified anethiest.

• 3 weeks later...
bob b - 2012-01-26 7:45 PM

Why don't you get some European quotes? Just had a google and there is a dental practice in Budapest that promise to beat any quote and also offer complete packages, accommodation, etc.

I have been to Budapest for Dental Implants (with two appointments and some of the treatment in London). I had four implants with crowns and bridges and it cost £ 4500. I will not bore you with the account of my experience but anybody interested I would be happy to tell my tale.

Guest pelmetman

I had an offer from a dentist in Cockermouth................ :D

Sorry Doctor Dave's post led me astray.....................again :$

Archived