'See Through' Bathroom Window

william1

We have an Autotrail Tracker with a 'see through' bathroom window. Have looked in local B&Q for something suitable to stick on the window to make it opague but still to let a certain amount of light in.- they dont seem to sell Fablon and the equivalent product doesn't seem suitable - any suggestions.

Plenty of potential choice...

GOOGLE-search using any of the following:

window film fopaque

window film privacy

window film frosted glass

This is an e-bay example...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FROSTED-GLASS-PRIVACY-WINDOW-FILM-76-CM-x-2M-CHEAPEST-/110587911620#ht_1209wt_1080

However (as is said on the link below) these types of self-adhesive film will be intended to adhere to a flat glass surface, so you'll need to be careful applying it to a motorhome plastic window if the latter is well curved. There's also the (small?) possibilty that the adhesive on the film might react adversely with the plastic window material.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/51041-transparent-bathroom-window/

A word of warning, I have had sticky film bond to plastic windows. It appears to melt into the plastic of the window under the warmth of the sun. I wouldn't do it.

You can buy small sunblinds for car windows mounted with suckers, might work?

H

Guest Tracker

We had a 'Seitz' type cassette roller blind / flyscreen in our Tracker?

Have you asked Autotrail - but it will probably be expensive!

A small roller blind as sold by the likes of Dunelm and cut to size might do the job?

Our previous Rimor had a clear window and although the view from it was usually nice, sometimes I didn't want others to be able to see in. :$ On another van (Rapido) I used a net curtain but it was a nuisance as if the window was open it used to blow around.

So for the Rimor I got a Venetian blind from a car boot sale for £1 and cut it down to size and fitted it - the beauty of this was that it would still let light in but give privacy if the slats were adjusted in a certain way. Icould also peak out if I wanted to and no one was aware. :D

In transit I shut the bathroom door but if you can't do this you can pull the blind up to prevent it rattling. :D

Our 2004 Tracker has blinds on all habitation windows.

When using the toilet or shower I just pull the blind up, although I admit to at times sitting on the loo and watching the world go by as I do what is neccesary but I always remember to pull the blind up before I vacate the throne, I do not want to frighten the neighbours or some would say give them a laugh.

I certainly would not want to have it (the window not Percy) opaque it is convienent to be able to have a peek out of the window in the night whilst paying a visit, to see what the weather is doing.or how the day is breaking.

I would advise anyone wanting to obscure the view, to get a piece of thin coloured plastic or vinyl sheet slightly smaller the the size of the window and four small suckers, drill or punch a hole in each corner and attach a sucker to each corner, this would allow a trial first before looking for a more permanent solution, if that is what you want.

Suckers that come with those shower scrub fluffy ball things are very usefull for this sort of thing.

At home we have a clear bathroom window which is right next to the loo! 8-) Oh, and the bathroom is at the front of our bungalow ... :$

We used to have a net curtain up at it but I hated it so I swapped it for a Venetian blind (as per our previous Rimor MH) and can 'peak' out if I want to ... :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
I put "frosted effect" Fablon on the inside a couple of years ago, and with no intention ever of taking it off I cannot see a problem, it has achieved exactly the result I wanted, light and privacy. ;-)

mikebeaches - 2012-01-27 5:16 PM

However, really miss the clear window - it's opaque on the current van.

When out in the wild, always enjoyed the view from the smallest room. *-)

I agree the 'poo with a view' is great and makes for a great photo album on facebook

1footinthegrave - 2012-01-27 11:16 PM

I put "frosted effect" Fablon on the inside a couple of years ago, and with no intention ever of taking it off I cannot see a problem, it has achieved exactly the result I wanted, light and privacy. ;-)

The problem is longer term. If your window (which is an expensive bit of kit to replace)is polycarbonate there is the potential, over time, for the adhesive in the vinyl/fablon to react with the window and cause it to craze.

We too have a large clear window in the 'loo'.

I have solved the problem by attaching a number of small stick on cable hooks to the top of the Seitz blind box. I have made up a curtain from 'burn out' fabric which is patterned and covers the window, just. If I have the window open and it is very breezy then I pull down the netting to prevent it blowing outside.

Joyce

NB: We damaged a door window on a previous M/H by fixing a car shade with a sucker on a few occasions only. Do not stick anything to the polyplastic windows as they craze badly.

sss - 2012-01-28 11:40 AM

mikebeaches - 2012-01-27 5:16 PM

However, really miss the clear window - it's opaque on the current van.

When out in the wild, always enjoyed the view from the smallest room. *-)

I agree the 'poo with a view' is great and makes for a great photo album on facebook

Me too(lol) not much point in having a window if you can't see out.

Guest pelmetman
I quite like the Poowithaview window.........although we have both fly screen and a blind on hours........and the blind is quite sensibly opaque rather than black out...........although I'm somewhat surprised you dont have anything 8-)

Hello William1

Like many others our bathroom window is clear and has blinds. We put a patterned opaque film on. It does not have adhesive but is held on electrostatically. You mist the window, apply the film and then smooth with a squeegee. The sad thing is neither the navigator nor I can remember where we bought it. The film works very well but this info is not a lot of use really. Sorry.

Just Googled "electro static window film" and got the usual million links.

Mel B - 2012-01-27 10:00 PM

At home we have a clear bathroom window which is right next to the loo! 8-) Oh, and the bathroom is at the front of our bungalow ... :$

We used to have a net curtain up at it but I hated it so I swapped it for a Venetian blind (as per our previous Rimor MH) and can 'peak' out if I want to ... :D

What on earth are you peeking out at mel, when your'e sitting on the khazi?. :D :$

Archived