Caravan Club Website

stantheman

They have been having a few difficulties since the launched their own Community/Forum on Tuesday. It does seem to have slowed the site down quite a bit. If they can't resolve the problem fairly quickly they may have to consider hosting the Community on another server so it does not interfere with the main site. Early days.

David

Think they have done some 'updates', and added a 'forum', and it does seem every time they alter anything the whole lot goes down!!!

At least now they warn you when you get the home page up that there are problems - not much help though if you want to make a booking!

Anyone used their forum yet??

Incidentally, they arent the only ones with problems, it seems - I'm just trying to get bus timetables from Stagcoach website, and all it some up with is some odd error information

- ie its not working!!

When it first was mooted by the Caravan Club at the end of last year, they invited contributions on subjucts like ' your favourite site'. I contributed one on my personal favourite (Steamer Quay, Totnes, in case you are interested), but when the forum actually started, my contribution was nowhere to be seen. Maybe because I brought in a few shortcomings about this site as well. I suspect the CC may be censoring any contribution that is not an unadulterated paen of praise to the club - just as they seem to do with the letters in their magazine.

Also, I find the whole website difficult to navigate - where are the headlines on one page like we get on this forum? The whole thing seems a bit of a muddle, so I hope that they manage to clean it up soon - as well as giving some advice on acceptable content!

Brians dad - 2012-01-30 6:04 PM

When it first was mooted by the Caravan Club at the end of last year, they invited contributions on subjucts like ' your favourite site'. I contributed one on my personal favourite (Steamer Quay, Totnes, in case you are interested), but when the forum actually started, my contribution was nowhere to be seen. Maybe because I brought in a few shortcomings about this site as well. I suspect the CC may be censoring any contribution that is not an unadulterated paen of praise to the club - just as they seem to do with the letters in their magazine.

I think if you look at the reviews under each individual site I think you will find that not to be the case. People seem not to be holding back what they are writing about various Club site. No doubt if that includes a personal attack on a warden that may well be removed as they are not allowed to answer back.

David

Brians dad - 2012-01-30 6:04 PM

Also, I find the whole website difficult to navigate - where are the headlines on one page like we get on this forum? The whole thing seems a bit of a muddle, so I hope that they manage to clean it up soon - as well as giving some advice on acceptable content!

Agree with this wholeheartedly...in act have been in touch with CC about the lack of any logic on the website. even to get to 'my Uk site bookings' was relatively easy, but now since the update seems to be 'my profile'.I always thought a profile was the members details, but The CC seems to have other interpretations.

Another anomaly, is that you cannot seem to navigate to a simple page allowing you to check/compare ferries - if you select option 'ferries', it seems to give links to individual company websites, and unless you go via 'book a site and ferry',then to ferry bookkings, you cannot get the price/route comparison.Also as far as I can see, whilst you can get into the list of UK sites where you have made reservations, the Members section will not show your ferry bookings.

I gave up in trying to find the page which gives members opportunity to report on continental sites visited, and reverted to old fashioned paper report forms! Oddly enough,I submitted these last October, and asked how to do it on the website, and today received a response from the person who has now taken over as editor of Continental Site Guides giving me the link, so hopefully when the time comes to send in this years reports I shall go direct to that bit of the website!

Back to the booking of ferries, when i tried to have a look at prices, after i selected motorhome the trailer selection automatically "greyed out" and as we tow a motorbike on a trailer this didn't help. Waiting for a reply form them. Or is it me? (?)

CC have just put an announcement on their homepage to say the site is running slow due to technical difficulties affecting the main servers.

Re booking with a trailer, for some reason you can only book this via telephone not the website-I had same problem when I booked but the girl on the phone was extremely helpful and booked it for me in a matter of minutes when I rang them.

Mike

There is the same problem when trying to book a dog onto the ferry. In future, as I understand, it will get worse as you will only be able to book the ferry on line and then when you have your booking confirmed you have to phone the club to add the dog. I asked why I would not be able to do the whole thing over the phone and got no sensible answer other than the new system would not be able to handle phone bookings.

Archived