Looking for a 4 week swap?

peterandceri

Hi Friends;

We (professional couple with 2 children); own a lovely static caravan in the South Lakes.

We are looking to see if anyone would be interested in a temporary swap of their motorhome for 4 weeks, for four weeks in our 3 bed static caravan in August 2012.

Having just visited the motorhome show in Manchester, we certainly feel purchasing a motorhome is now the way to go, but would like to try it first before we commit to the purchase of a new motorhome.

We are looking at purchasing a Swift Escape 969, so ideally anyone intersted with this or similar would be most welcome.

As I am a teacher, the period would have to be in August though and your Motorhome would be treated as though it were our own.

Please drop us a message if you feel you may be interested and we will send you any details you require....

Peter and Ceri

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome! :-D

Sorry, but I would think your chances of anyone doing this slim, but nothing ventured nothing gained I guess :-D Being lucky enough to get the model you want even more unlikely I would think. Most on here enjoy travaling and not really typical static caravan folk, for pretty obvious reasons I would think.

You may be better of hiring a van and letting your caravan out for that August month..have you thought about that? I would book one up asap as it may even now be difficult...

also I think you may need to say where you intend to take it*-)

anyway fingers crossed you never know!

I really think you'll just have to bite the bullet and hire. Being blunt, if you are serious about buying, and running, a motorhome, you can afford the hire.

After all, this being the internet, you may, or may not, be as you portray yourselves. You may, in reality, treat your own possessions far worse than any of us treat ours. You may even change the identity of the motorhome once you have it, and simply disappear with it! There is also the little matter of insurance, and the potential impact on the existing owner's premiums should it be damaged (sadly, not that unusual when driving tall, bulky vehicles for the first time). Few motorhomes cost less than £35,000 new, most caravans do, so the risks relative to values that you propose are very unequal. Besides all of which, one doesn't generally buy a motorhome to tether it to the landscape, however pretty, but to travel around. So, I'm afraid the idea of a static caravan on a campsite will be anathema to many with motorhomes.

Apologies if I seem completely negative and rude, it is not my intention, but I think you are being hugely optimistic and would simply be better off, and gain much greater certainty with your arrangements, if you hire.

I would add that the Swift Escape 696 in standard form is a 3,650kg MAM vehicle, and you will need to hold a category C driving licence (3,500kg - 7,500kg) to drive it. If you intend being away for a month, I think you may find that 640kg payload a bit tight for a family of four, depending on the ages of the children. IMO, if you want a family van that will really work, you will have to look at vans comfortably over 3,500kg MAM, and will absolutely need that category C licence. My final comment is that one month may be a bit ambitious for a "maiden voyage". I think I'd try a shorter trip initially, see how that goes, and then see how much your opinion of what you now think the ideal van, shifts with experience. Most of us seem to find that what we thought we wanted before we tried our first van in anger, turns out not to be what what we really wanted at all! :-) Good luck whatever you decide.

Hi PeterandCeri and welcome to the forum.

I too think it would be a better idea for you to hire a van to see if you like the life.

Swapping, as you suggest, could cause all sorts of complications if anything went wrong, or any damage done.

You may also have problems with the vans' insurance.

You may be lucky, but it's my guess that not many motorhomers would even lend a van to

their own family !

Good luck.

;-)

Thanks for your help guys ( I Think...), I have a HGV license, so size/weight isn't an issue and our caravan is certainly worth more than the cost highlighted however, we do see the point of view raised by most of you and realise to trust someone with a valuable vehicle would be an issue, so thanks for your input and help.

We went to look at some motorhomes at the weekend with the intention of looking to rent one for August and now have fell in love with a second hand one that is on offer for £4500, almost the price to rent one for 4 weeks.

It is a Ford Herald Squire built 1999 with 40K on it, it all looks sound and runs well, serviced regularly etc. What does the experts think of this decision. Our intention would be to use it for a year or two before commiting to a brand new one. Sensible???......Do they have a good reputation of being reliable or agreeable ? we would welcome any imput from you guys, we also saw a similar one in a dealership on the way home for £12,000. Is this an expensive dealership price or should we look for something drastically wrong with the Van we are thinking of buying?...

Sorry if this sounds negative but is this thread "for real"?

The figures quoted for vans now being considered don't bear any relation to the original idea of van.

Furthermore the spellings and punctuation (or lack of it) in the person's last entry don't square with the person being a teacher.

I'm sorry if I've upset the person who wrote the post but there have been "scams" on the Forum in the past.

Peter and Ceri,

Well I do hope its for real otherwise I have worn my fingers out :D

Go get one I can swear you willnever regret it . Its like joining the army travelling to distant place seeing so much the memories are fantastic the places to many to mention.

Good luck with your request BUT as my former forum friends state I think it very slim that you will get a M/Homer to swop .

Still you never know maybe someone *-)

Mel;

Can I just say that we (my wife and I), are taking it in turns to write down our thoughts and hoping the people who read and answer these threads can at least 'help' or give us some valuable guidance. Isn't that what this website is all about ? I am sorry if my punctuation and grammar isn't 100% correct. Shall I include a bibliography at the end so you know what I have read. How rude of you....

I am a Science teacher, I am looking for some help and I am certainly not a scam artist, (maybe a little tired after marking physics equations all evening) but I just don't want to make a big mistake by purchasing something that is known for being problematic that's all....

I'm beginning to feel that maybe this isn't the most helpful website...

Oh Dear don't feel like that after all he only asked if it was a scam.

If its not as you say then why worry .

When you say they are known to be problematic , what do you mean ?.

Years ago when hubby was after one I did if honest used to worry that we may have to book into a hotel with the children if anything mechanical happenend or bigger .That used to be a worry as you always have to have the cash to do that .

We have never had any problems and have never regretted any of it for us we hav ebeen and taken 4 disabled children to places that we could of never imagined such as the french Alps at christmas for one.

Thats the beauty of it waking up on a xmas morning with the children and a full blown xmas dinner cooked in your own place nothing like creature comforts snugg as a bug . Moving off out of the snow when we had enough further into to central france . Camping the night a Disney . The world is your oyster and you see so much its a different way of life to be had . If you don't like it move simples.

You will never regret it IMHO .I have kidney problems so whilst on a crossing with The shuttle I needed the loo , hubby replied whats wrong with your own toilet :D such simple things . I was so pleased I didnt stop laughing for a week. You won't regret it .Honest . I have not met many that have gone back not saying it doesnt happen because people become older and various reason health money . But on the whole I would definately recommend .. Good luck .

Hi Peter & Ceri

Here is a review of the Herald

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/Motorhome-review-Herald-Squire-400E/_ch1_rw1094

Here are a selection of that model from a quick search.

http://www.ukclassifieds.co.uk/ford_transit_herald_squire_motor_home-o469243.html

http://www.motorhomes.mobi/Motorhomes/tabid/95/ItemID/21874/Motorhome/Herald-Squire/Default.aspx

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/forsale/used-motorhomes/oct-motorhomes/herald-squire-400-ls/955

http://cars.mitula.co.uk/cars/ford-transit-herald-motorhome

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/herald/squire

I don't want to put a damp squid on your selection, but based on your stated £4500 price, I would suggest a very thorough inspection & test, including a full Damp Test, of the Motorhome. Also if you know a Motorhome owner who could go with you when viewing the Motorhome, that would be useful.

Based on the "market" the £12k appears a much more realistic "starting" price.

Purchasing from a Dealer will also give you some warranty. May be only 3 months, but better than none from a private purchase.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks Michelle;

Had a glass of wine and calmed down now... whoops I mean "I am calm now." :-D

It's nice to hear from someone that wants the same in life as us. Our youngest "Sam" wouldn't get out of the van at the weekend unless we bought it there and then, purely so he could watch TV whilst driving home!!

Both our boys really want it to tour around France in. We will certainly have more freedom in a campervan and be able to stay in places as we wish, rather than following a strict Itinerary. I feel maybe this is why we should maybe try it first in a much cheaper van before fully committing to an expensive new one. We have the same worries about mechanical issues as you had and this is why we asked the question on the thread.

However after a glass of red, I think your right, we should just go for it. Nothing ventured hey...

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how we get on....

Don't be put off Peter and Ceri, we are all trying to help, even if some of the advice is counter to your wishes and seems negative. John's (Flicka) post above provides excellent advice and information, and Mel is only querying your credentials because of a bit of recent "troll trouble"! You know who you are, but none of us can know, we are all "virtual" - though a few of us have met in real life! :-)

If you can get a good one, buying an older, cheaper, but sound, van and trying it out is an excellent alternative strategy to the swap or the hire. A: you will own it, so gain a asset (you hope! :-)). B: you can adapt it to your needs which you could not do with either a swap or a hire. C: you can sell or trade it when you need, though this will of course cost you - but probably considerably less than a hire in August! D: you can learn on it, both about the quirks of motorhomes, but also about how well it suits what you want to do, and also about whether a motorhome is the right solution for you.

I'm inclined to agree with John about the £4,500 van. That adage about if it seems too good to be true it probably is, comes to mind! However, why not take a look at it? At least it will provide you with a bench-mark of some sort.

Check that the seller actually has, and allows you to examine, the log book. Look for evidence that it has been regularly serviced according to the manual - it should still have a manual if it has been well cared for. Sniff around for any damp, musty smells. Test the feel of the floor in areas like the washroom and around the kitchen block, it should not feel springy underfoot anywhere. If it is, I'd say just walk away. Look at the tyres very carefully because most motorhome tyres die of old age long before they wear out. About 5 years is a sensible maximum, 7 years top whack, including the spare. Expect to have to replace batteries. As above, don't put any money down without a comprehensive, recorded, damp check, water ingress quickly turns to rot within the walls, floor, or roof, and is difficult, and prohibitively expensive, to remedy. It may be a mouldy wreck, but it just may be someone who wants to get rid of it and is prepared to sell cheap. Good luck.

Guest JudgeMental

Just like outside your front door there are a mix of people on here, but with a fair few old duffers with far to much time on their hands :D

If you are carefree by all means pay a pittance, keep you fingers crossed, and go for the old van.....Just make sure you buy something that is sound and can be insured (breakdown and repatriation *-)) as many insurers dont cover vans over 10 years old. All of you will soon loose your enthusiasm if the van continually breaks down or dies on you, and you have to get home....

Like others have said get a proper: damp check, not to do so can mean entering a world of pain.

You can get a company to check the van mechanically for you as well, probably cost £250'ish for both services. If you do both these things and check that everything internally, heating/fridge/water pump/electrics.etc...you should be OK

Best advice, dont get carried away, and dont listen to dealer/sales mens BS. ear plugs or headphones a good idea.. I would buy private from ebay etc :-D

edit: crossed with Brian's post...He is good at this lol

I will add, if looking for damp yourself look underneath very carefully, and dont be afraid to poke around with a small screwdriver. if there are serious damp issues you should be able to smell and see it (unless over painted) but not always! hence the test...

You have a slight problem with the Herald Squire from what I can see. You have children and it has a rear lounge layout. There are no seat belts in the rear for the kids to use. It may be legal to use without belts but I am of the belief safety must come 1st so you need a van with belted rear seats.

Edit. Sorry, forgot to welcome you to the Forums.

You wil find there are many on here who really know a lot about Motorhomes and layouts available, do ask any questions and plenty will offer very good advice and will go out of their way to help you search for any answers you need and make suggestions.

Hi Peter & Ceri,

Welcome to the happy world of motorhoming & this forum site; with all its faults I still find there are many who willingly want to help & then unfortunately there are those who appear to hinder & go 'off thread' - just as in life itself you choose those you want to read & leave the others to squabble amongst themselves.

I hope 'motorhoming' brings you as much pleasure as it has done for us over the past 12 to 13 years.

I have sent you a PM (Personal Message) see in you inbox on this site.

Guest 1footinthegrave

If you are looking to buy a Swift 696 at around £38000, it seems a bit odd to be considering an older van for £4500 even to test the waters so to speak, and I have to say the low price should have alarm bells ringing, and if it comes with a load of hassle as is likely at that price, it will probably put you off the idea for life.

£4500 would normally only buy a rough and ready old van,have a look on Ebay and see what that kind of money will get you, an ex builders van with a bit of mdf chucked in. Be very careful, ask yourself why someone would sell so cheaply especially at this time of year, and I think someone else said it, if it sounds too good, blah blah

Why not rent out your static, then you can go the conventional M/home rental route and try out a modern vehicle of a similar spec you are considering, ;-)

Why not go to the National Motorhome Show at Peterborough in a couple of months time?

Lots of dealers, new and used motorhomes. You will have a much more choice and see a wide range of layouts.

You don't have to buy at the show but it will give you an idea of what is available regarding size, layout quality etc.

Whatever you choose it should have four seats fitted with proper seatbelts which were fitted during manufacture. If the children are still using removeable/baby type car seats, can these be secured and used safely in the van of your choice.

peterandceri - 2012-01-30 11:24 PM

Thanks Michelle;

Had a glass of wine and calmed down now... whoops I mean "I am calm now." :-D

It's nice to hear from someone that wants the same in life as us. Our youngest "Sam" wouldn't get out of the van at the weekend unless we bought it there and then, purely so he could watch TV whilst driving home!!

Both our boys really want it to tour around France in. We will certainly have more freedom in a campervan and be able to stay in places as we wish, rather than following a strict Itinerary. I feel maybe this is why we should maybe try it first in a much cheaper van before fully committing to an expensive new one. We have the same worries about mechanical issues as you had and this is why we asked the question on the thread.

However after a glass of red, I think your right, we should just go for it. Nothing ventured hey...

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how we get on....

Your welcome..IMHO wouldnt spend my 4500 on an old one because I being a sceptical person would think it will bring you trouble and loss of money (just my opinion ) I would rush in with two feet and can honestly say hand on heart you wont regret it . Go do all the things you want to do skining holidays disney Dordogne what ever you fancy . Even my older kids Sam 20 & jodhi 23 still want to come with us . They still love the freedom of stopping when we like where we fancy the list is endlessbut you will enjoy it St Michael Mount france its endless and we have not been anywhere near what others have done on here . Its not very often you here of things going so badly wrong that they have totally ruined holidays and had to stay in hotels . And we have been at it 10 years now and not once has it happened to us either . Yes we had a water temp problem whilst in France but a quick stop at the lake for the night and a visit to the garage the next day sorted that but thats it in a nut shell.

people don't mean to be rude but as on all forums people get sick of the trolls . Stick around you'll learn they really are quite a nice bunch and a wealth of information is to be had . There isnt nothing I kid you not that THEY don't know .

Excels on soon 13 th of Feb depending on where you live school holidays so if the children are at school age you won't have to worry as its the holidays :D Might see you there as we are after the fourth now :'( more money , who cares I could be dead soon ??? you have one life go live it and have fun and memories . Good luck .

Teacher 14 weeks a year hols ? go do it :-D :-D :-D ;-)

JohnP - 2012-01-31 9:16 AM

Why not go to the National Motorhome Show at Peterborough in a couple of months time?

Lots of dealers, new and used motorhomes. You will have a much more choice and see a wide range of layouts.

You don't have to buy at the show but it will give you an idea of what is available regarding size, layout quality etc.

Whatever you choose it should have four seats fitted with proper seatbelts which were fitted during manufacture. If the children are still using removeable/baby type car seats, can these be secured and used safely in the van of your choice.

I would agree with that. Whilst you won't find any there at £4500, what you will find is loads of different layouts and fittings. Moreover, there will be thousands of motorhomers to answer all your questions over a beer (Or bore you to death!) and explain any goo/bad points etc. I would suggest you make a list of what you would like on the 'Priority Spreadsheet' ie what would be Necessity, Nice to Have, Budget, etc before you go then tick off your preferred van option as you go round. At the end of the day, permitate your spreadsheet and see what you come up with-this should be something like your ideal van. On saying that, we did that and still didn't get it right! There is always a compromise -it's just up to you where it is.

As other posters have put though, an absolute priority travelling with children should be belted seats, probably closely followed with enough storage space for bikes etc.

Mike

Hi peterandceri,

Welcome to the forum.Firstly let me say it does not do to have thin skin on this forum at times.

However I think you will find it a fountain of knowledge for all you future needs if you stick with it, I certainly do.

As far as the van you have seen then providing it is mechanically sound and not damp what have you to lose as you have said yourself it just about equates to the cost of a months hire, surely you will get more than that out of it and hopefully fully achieve the couple of years out of it then px it towards your final van selection. I would be a lot more wary paying 12k for an old van, but given the basic safeguards--MOT---Damp Test etc 4.5k is a snip.

best of luck with your decision

derek

Guest JudgeMental

if you let your Holiday van in the lakes during August surely this will more or less pay for the hire of a nice modern van for a month..

someone hit our van a few years ago and the person at fault insurance company hired us a brand new coachbuilt and we went to Spain for a month...from memory it was £4000

Better then wasting your time trying to source a cheap and reliable van with all the associated headaches....Just a thought :-D

Guest Peter James

Hi and Welcome Peter & Ceri :-)

If you are a shrewd buyer & seller, with practical skills and a certain amount of luck, you can buy a decent van for around £6k - interesting link below to a guy who did it.

But ....... how can I put this diplomatically ....... If you had that knowlege and skill you would not be asking for advice on here ;-)

interesting link: http://www.livinginamotorhome.co.uk/living-in-a-motorhome-2012..html

Archived