Headlight masking or beam benders?

david lloyd

Hi everyone We are just getting ready for a three week trip to France (on 26th May) and wondered if anyone had any views/ideas/opnions on whether to mask out the headlight high beam or use beam benders? We have just collected our new Knaus Sun Ti - Renault Master base - and one concern is I don't want to risk minor crazing on the headlights from adhesive etc. On our peugeot I used the self adhesive beam benders and they worked a treat but it was afterwards I read somewhere of the possiblity of crazing on the lens. So: is it better to use insulation tape? - I think I recall derek advising to use white tape instead of black to reduce heat build up and the odd 'blacked out' appearance for oncoming traffic. If so - is there a template for the new Reanault Master or is it an easy matter to shine the headlights on a wall and mask out the right area? Is it better to have headlamp protectors and mask them out? If so - do they make the protectors for the new Renault? Any advice or information would be appreciated. Many thanks, david

David, Actually it's me that normally advises white tape for the reasons you've given. I now have a Renault Master van conversions and will be doing just that at the end of this week. Tape shouldn't cause problems with glass headlamp lenses, though black tape can reduce lamp life because of heat build-up. I suspect even this is over-stated since the vehicle will be travelling at some speed, providing air cooling, most of the time the headlight are on. Just shine the headlights on a wall works well with the 'van on the flat - measure the height of the left beam when dipped and mask off the right one to the same height. Headlamp protectors are normally made of plastic and so can be crazed by heat build-up. The idea is to protect headlamps from stones. If you remove the tape (or replace it) after a couple of weeks there should be no adhesive left behind. If there is remove it with Lakeland Plastics' 'Sticky Stuff Remover' - works a treat and well worth having for a host of other uses.

Hi Mel B My apologies for getting you mixed up with that other person - who shall remain forever Derek! Yes thank you for the reply though I shall try to do the measuring/tape thing but if I don't get on with that method I may go back to the self adhesive beam benders - my wife will always help out with the financial implications of these if I play the 'health and safety' card!! Can I just check though are your headlights glass? As I have checked and mine seem to be plastic or polycarbonate sort of material and will this make a difference? Regards, david

Not that I'm aware of. And David, you seem to mixing your Es and Bs - I used to be just plain Mel but then Mel B joined the forum with lots of good stuff for us all, so I had to become Mel E to avoid confusion! Happy Beam Bending !

Archived