Best publications for France

Papillon9

In terms of Sites, we take the Caravan Club Continental Sites Guide, and also take the latest edition Aires de Camping Cars. I also have the French sites guide (in French) which does give some info not in the CC one,

For travel info, we have toured France every year for the last 20 years or so for 6- 8 weeks, and generally have little idea of where we will go, other than a 'general' plan,and whether to go left right or stright down when leaving the ferry port!....a lot depends on the weather as we go along!

However, I do find the Guide Verts Michelin Guides very useful. Additionally I try to use the internet in advance, researching areas/towns/cities where we might go, both for campsite info and also for things to do/places to visit. Most of them do haev an English language version, if not, even with our basic French, it's pretty easy to work out what they are saying.

For aires then Le Guide National Aires de Service Camping-Cars is in our opinion the best one (see our recent thread re availability of 2012 edition). Best on line site is camping-car infos.com but i camping-car.fr is also very good and worth a look. Between these resources should be able to tour France with no problems at all, particularly if backed up with membership of France Passion (check out their web site). When decided on a particular region you want to visit PM us and we will give you some aires you might like to use.

I'm not quite sure what you are after. The above posts cover places to stop, in terms of where you can put your motorhome. However, that is not really touring France, it is parking (or siting) a motorhome in France.

If what you want to know is where to go in France to satisfy your interests, where to visit, then if you know the country a bit, and want to pick out places in particular regions, I think the Michelin Green Guide, as mentioned above, for the region/s in question is probably the best generally available guide you will get.

On the other hand, if you have never, or seldom, toured France before, and want to know in more general terms what is where, something like a Rough Guide may be better.

I'd suggest a visit to your local library as there are many various "country" guides, most of which cover the same ground but in different styles, and some folk seem to find that particular guides drive them nuts, while another suits them ideally, but other folk find contrariwise. For example, I like Roughs, and find Lonely Planet and Dorling Kindersly drive me nuts, but I know others swear by the two I can't get on with!

You need to decide your chosen camping mode. There tend to be two types of owners of Motorhomes, Motor caravanners , more said later, and Camping-carists, among whom I like to include myself and the advice offered by Robert and Jean above cannot be faulted especially if in addition you upload onto your GPS the free listings of 'Aires' found on these sites to which I would add 'Le Stop Accueil Camping Car' which can be downloaded as a pfd here.

The second school (Motor Caravanners) tend to be people who follow a more sedentary means of travel, staying for a large part of their holiday on a camp site and taking excursions from there. a list of books would include the Green Michelin, The Continental Guides offered by your prefered Club in the UK and the Guide of Campings offered by The French Caravanning Federation .

One of the best souces of information is http://www.france-voyage.com/en/.

This site gives details of all areas, towns villages etc. You can even build an itinerary using your own preferrences for towns, architecture, beaches or any other criteria you want.

We use the ACSI books for sites out of season, as well as All the Aires books.

We tour fairly loosely in so far as we have very little planned, but get brochures from tourist offices along our route and if we see something we like we dawdle a while.

Nearly forgot to add...We like Lonely Planet series of books and do a little wonter research before travelling

Don't forget France Passion - a network of farms and vineyards who invite you to stay overnight FREE, without obligation. However there are no facilities, so you need to use Aires during the day to fill & empty water etc, and ther WILL be an opportunity to tasdte what your host produces, which may well lead to purchases!

You can get the book from Vicarious, or direct.

Archived