DFDS Dover to Dunkirk

Keith T

Just scanning around and have seen excellent prices for this route our Mid may and return Mid July. However, , there are optiosn on the outbound, either early/late morning from Doveror very late night the 'previous' day arriving 01.00AM at Dunkirk.

Prevuiously we have always gone out early morning then driven straight off from Dunkirk. What are the options for staying on arrival late night at Dunkirk- is there parking on the port, or a nearby aire?

Any infor would be helpful, I do not wish to drive very far in the dark!! Thanks.

Hi, why dont you just go up the road to Grande Smythe Auchan and park up there for the night, its only about 7 miles. The Auchan opens at 8.30am and you can stock up with what-ever and get your fuel.

I use it all the time, no problems, you have security driving around during the night.

I didnt post this on the forum as I dont want the rif-raf spoiling it

Best regards

If you are a member of The Caravan Club it may be worth your checking their website for prices for this crossing. We got a cheaper crossing than by booking direct with the ferry company and there were NO RESTRICTIONS ON THE CROSSINGS WE COULD CHOOSE and all at the same price. I think the current offer ends very soon.

mel wood - 2012-01-29 9:33 PM

If you are a member of The Caravan Club it may be worth your checking their website for prices for this crossing. We got a cheaper crossing than by booking direct with the ferry company and there were NO RESTRICTIONS ON THE CROSSINGS WE COULD CHOOSE and all at the same price. I think the current offer ends very soon.

thanks Mel, yes have booked via CC £58 return, out Mid may back mid July, and at 'normal' times....no anti social hours!!

Maybe the demise of Seafrance - for the moment anyway - has actually had the effect of reducing some fares!

Guest Peter James

Just looked and its £29 for motorhomes below 2.4m high, and £69 above 2.4m high.

I would hope they check mine at the front, where its 2.4m, instead of at the back, where it slopes up to 2.5m *-)

Peter James - 2012-01-30 9:21 AM

Just looked and its £29 for motorhomes below 2.4m high, and £69 above 2.4m high.

I would hope they check mine at the front, where its 2.4m, instead of at the back, where it slopes up to 2.5m *-)

....they probably will......and then stick you in a 2.45m high space under a mezzanine deck. ;-)

Keith T - 2012-01-29 10:14 PM

mel wood - 2012-01-29 9:33 PM

thanks Mel, yes have booked via CC £58 return, out Mid may back mid July, and at 'normal' times....no anti social hours!!

Maybe the demise of Seafrance - for the moment anyway - has actually had the effect of reducing some fares!

Glad to help. Have a good trip.

Keith T - 2012-01-29 6:50 PM

Just scanning around and have seen excellent prices for this route our Mid may and return Mid July. However, , there are optiosn on the outbound, either early/late morning from Doveror very late night the 'previous' day arriving 01.00AM at Dunkirk.

Prevuiously we have always gone out early morning then driven straight off from Dunkirk. What are the options for staying on arrival late night at Dunkirk- is there parking on the port, or a nearby aire?

Any infor would be helpful, I do not wish to drive very far in the dark!! Thanks.

No problem with a late ferry at Dunkirk just drive off the ferry and as you come to the first roundabout just outside just go around left back to the ticket office.

You will see other vans there, plenty of room and ok to spend the night there. We use it very often

RD

Robinhood - 2012-01-30 9:46 AM

....they probably will......and then stick you in a 2.45m high space under a mezzanine deck. ;-)

Think it depends on day/time, as Mine is 2.8m and 6 m long, and got teh retunr at £58. Did check other crossings and it showed £69.

Also had a look on their own website, and it was much more expensive for the same crossings, other than there being special offer ending 31/jan if you booked multiple trips. Good old CC again, but you do have to book via the CC website, and not their phone line!

Keith T - 2012-01-30 2:35 PM

Robinhood - 2012-01-30 9:46 AM

Think it depends on day/time, as Mine is 2.8m and 6 m long, and got teh retunr at £58. Did check other crossings and it showed £69.

Also had a look on their own website, and it was much more expensive for the same crossings, other than there being special offer ending 31/jan if you booked multiple trips. Good old CC again, but you do have to book via the CC website, and not their phone line!

I got out at 2.00pm mid June and back 10.00am end July for 7m x 3m van and 4m x 2m trailer for £68 return with CC so does pay to book early. You can only book with a trailer via telephone though for some reason.

Mike

Archived